Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2012, 08:00 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Powerglide advantage?

Do any of you with a 40' Phaeton wish you had opted for the Powerglide Versus Freightliner chassis?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
paz

To my knowledge, the Powerglide chassis in not available on the Phaeton, only on the 40' and 43' Bus. I think it may have been offered on the Phaeton for a short time, but now that Tiffin is building their own chassis for the Breeze, I don't think they can handle the extra production.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 06:09 AM   #3

I see no advantage to the PG. My Freightliner has been flawless and shops every where in the country. You pay $6,000 more for what??
Lault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:46 PM   #4

We have a 2012 40 ft on a Power Glide chassis purchased in Aug so it was available at least until that time.
Band Aid 06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Band Aid 06 View Post
We have a 2012 40 ft on a Power Glide chassis purchased in Aug so it was available at least until that time.
My mistake. I thought I read somewhere it was no longer available, but when I checked the Tiffin web site, the Powerglide chassis is indeed listed as an option for the Phaeton.

To answer the question of the OP, I see a good bit of advantage for the Powerglide as far as weight capacities go. Numbers are for the 36' and 40' models only.
GWVR______FL 32,400____PG 36,000
GAWR front_FL 12,400____PG 14,000
GAWR rear__FL 20,000____PG 22,000
GCWR______FL 42,400____PG 46,000

As full-timers, I would gladly pay an additional $6000 for 3,600 lb extra GVWR that will translate into more CCC.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:46 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
But, is there a significant difference in the CCC weight for a 40 QBH with Power Glide chassis vs the Freightliner. That's the only number I'm really interested in. Pulling 4000 less with same power plant should provide better performance IMHO.
Old 04-10-2012, 08:17 AM   #7
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul T View Post
But, is there a significant difference in the CCC weight for a 40 QBH with Power Glide chassis vs the Freightliner. That's the only number I'm really interested in. Pulling 4000 less with same power plant should provide better performance IMHO.
I can't quote actual numbers, but I'm guessing the PG chassis may weigh a few hundred pounds more than the FL at the most. IMO, you will end up with a significantly higher CCC with the PG.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

The extra CCC is due to the larger capacity axles. Freightliner chooses to use 20K axles because that's the legal limit under the Federal Bridge Law. Tiffin puts a heavier 22K rear axle in but if you load it up you might get turned away on the Ohio/Penn turnpikes where they weigh in-motion before the toll boothes. Other than that, no one checks RV weight. The 14K front axle is a nice upgrade though. The Powerglide is a more upscale chassis than the FL though. A bit better layout as far as service access, accessory mountings, a tad bit higher basement height due to the way the attach the sub-frame weldment to the main frame rails, plus the chassis is huck-bolted.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:46 PM   #9

Again I was told at the Tampa show Powerglide is no longer available on the Phaeton.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:44 AM   #10
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lault View Post
Again I was told at the Tampa show Powerglide is no longer available on the Phaeton.
That's what i thought I heard, too; but Band Aid 06 says he got one on the 2012 Phaeton he bought in August, and it is still shown as an option on the 40 foot models on the Tiffin web site. However, it is NOT shown on the latest 2012 price list posted on Cruzer's web site, so it must have been discontinued sometime after August, 2011. As I said, I think it's because all they can handle at the present time are chassis for the Breeze and the Bus.
Old 04-13-2012, 05:44 AM   #11

I never got a why they stopped using the Powerglide on the Phaeton. B T said production would stop in Jan 12.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:32 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
With the Phaeton being the #1 selling diesel pusher, is it possible that Tiffin just couldn't keep up with demand for chassis for it?
Old 04-14-2012, 06:28 AM   #13
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbounders View Post
With the Phaeton being the #1 selling diesel pusher, is it possible that Tiffin just couldn't keep up with demand for chassis for it?
I'm thinking you are correct, especially since they are building all their own chassis for the new Breeze in house. As the Breeze begins to gain in sales, they can't do both.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:25 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

That's exactly it. They have the room, but not the time or manpower, in the Powerglide plant at this time to adequately cover three chassis. The Breeze took off far greater than they expected and it's only chassis is the Powerglide so they could not detract from Breeze production just so that they could offer the Powerglide as an option on the Phaeton. With the Bus it's different because no one really wants the Freightliner and they have typically sold 90% or better with Powerglide. But the Freightliner chassis as used in the Phaeton is well accepted so there's no reason to devote energy into making a Powerglide for the Phaeton if it detracts from the Breeze. They do have plans on resurrecting the Phaeton's Powerglide but it won't be until they are able to devote the time, resources, and additional manpower to do that. It will happen but no timetable has been set yet.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote