Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2019, 12:54 AM   #1

Progressive EMS - External or Internal?

We are looking to buy a 50 amp Progressive EMS. Which is better, the internal installed unit or the external portable pedestal unit? I know they work pretty much the name. We like the extra security of an internal EMS, but I'm also concerned that if it goes out its difficult to replace.

Any feedback would be helpful.

WHC
whciv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2019, 01:57 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
We have the internal unit for safety reasons (no theft) as well as a remote for it wired to the coach next to the inverter so we can see the read out at any time.

Replacing should be pretty easy if needed.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:30 AM   #3

Third option is to buy the external unit and permanently install it in the power cord bay.
I had used an external 30 amp unit with our TT for quite a few years. After purchasing the Bay Star, I purchased the 50 amp portable model, then got some help on the forum to wire it into the power cord bay. Internal mount may be handy for easily seeing any problem, but I've found that usually after checking the power pedestal, I rarely have to look at it. If for some reason it shuts down the power, it's easy enough to go out and check the unit to see what the problem is.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:32 AM   #4
Community Administrator

That’s exactly what did.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0142.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	232346

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post
Third option is to buy the external unit and permanently install it in the power cord bay.
I had used an external 30 amp unit with our TT for quite a few years. After purchasing the Bay Star, I purchased the 50 amp portable model, then got some help on the forum to wire it into the power cord bay. Internal mount may be handy for easily seeing any problem, but I've found that usually after checking the power pedestal, I rarely have to look at it. If for some reason it shuts down the power, it's easy enough to go out and check the unit to see what the problem is.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:12 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Progressive EMS - External or Internal?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scbwr View Post

Exactly what I did also. My 50A portable was from when I had the 5er. Couldn’t see buying another one, so I wired the portable into the electric bay. Works fine. Bonus: if I trade the coach, portable can go with me.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:44 AM   #6

I concur with scbwr and others.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:53 AM   #7

I have the 30 amp Progessive and worry about theft all the time. A cable lock is too easy to cut. I also worry when I leave my RV at a dealer for service. If I was to do it over I would do it internally.
bro61021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 05:55 AM   #8

Exactly what I am going to do, got the portable one, 50 amp and two plugs, a Female and a male. My coach requires that i plug the power cord into a 50 amp receptacle in the power bay to use the Gen Set. So I will cut the OEM cord long enough to reach the receptacle then add a Female plug to the OEM end, and a Male end from the remaining power cord from the coach. Then I can plug the short cord from the Coach to the EMS and the EMS into the female plug going to the post. EMS is secure in the Power Bay. I can also opt to use it when on the generator. Just my 2 cents
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:14 AM   #9

we chose the internal unit. worried about the external unit ‘walking away’. and the internal unit has a remote monitor
Old 01-18-2019, 07:32 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
Progressive externals have a metal locking tab around the cord that you can lock to the pedestal if you're worried about theft.

I have yet to use it in two years. But it is there and would work fine. Yep, a pair of cable cutters would defeat it......but then again, I leave chairs, grills, etc out every day of the year and have never had anything stolen.

-
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 07:40 AM   #11

Portable unit plug in inside your storage bay. Out of sightY you can't foget it. Best thing is if it goes into bypass and doesn't work you can unplug it and life goes on! Hard wired not so much. You can also keep it when you trade rigs.
Old 01-18-2019, 08:03 AM   #12

internal vote...
having the internal saves one step of the setup process.
we plug in one cord at pedestal..

looking to simplify things!
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeekid View Post
Exactly what I am going to do, got the portable one, 50 amp and two plugs, a Female and a male. My coach requires that i plug the power cord into a 50 amp receptacle in the power bay to use the Gen Set. So I will cut the OEM cord long enough to reach the receptacle then add a Female plug to the OEM end, and a Male end from the remaining power cord from the coach. Then I can plug the short cord from the Coach to the EMS and the EMS into the female plug going to the post. EMS is secure in the Power Bay. I can also opt to use it when on the generator. Just my 2 cents
Another option...rather than cut the power cord, remove it from the transfer box and replace it with a heavy duty kitchen stove replacement cord (or make on from cable and a receptacle). Add a receptacle to the end of the cord that was removed from the transfer box. EMS will plug into stove cord and power cord will connect to EMS unit. That way, you avoid shortening your power cord.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 09:28 PM   #14

My Tiffin has an EMS in the power compartment. I thought they came standard?

I'm fairly new to the Allegro Breeze, so easily confused!
Taz4570 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems