RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-16-2017, 11:54 AM   #1
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Arcadia, Florida
Posts: 563
Proper way to air up

I have been puzzled as to why I have trouble airing up after retracting the jacks on my HWH system. I have read and reread the Tiffin user manual but did not find any helpful info. Out of frustration I decided to read the Powerglide chassis manual. Sure enough I found a short section the says to always use the raise position on the "Raise/Lower" rocker switch to reinflate after retracting the jacks. I did that today and it solved my problem. It aired up right away. My question is: is this the way that others air up after retracting the jacks. Thanks.
__________________

__________________
Dick Schaak
2011 Allegro 43 Bus
dickschaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2017, 12:37 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
simonsrf's Avatar
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 219
I have a Freightliner chassis with HWH jacks, and have never had to worry about airing-up or deflating, just push the button to level and it does it all on its own.
__________________

__________________
2012 Tiffin Phaeton 36 GH
2013 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 (flat towed)
Honda Pioneer 500 (UTV)
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:03 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
DeWat's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonsrf View Post
I have a Freightliner chassis with HWH jacks, and have never had to worry about airing-up or deflating, just push the button to level and it does it all on its own.
Same... arrive at campground and press "Auto", and she auto-levels. After retracting slides prior to departure, just press "Travel", and she airs up/down to travel mode.
__________________
Dewey & Sharon
Southern Maryland suburbs of DC
2019 Entegra Anthem 44F
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:04 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Arcadia, Florida
Posts: 563
I had a freightliner also and just pushed the button. This is a Powerglide chassis. I have had seven different motorhome but this, by far, is the best ride.
__________________
Dick Schaak
2011 Allegro 43 Bus
dickschaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:07 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
DeWat's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickschaak View Post
I had a freightliner also and just pushed the button. This is a Powerglide chassis. I have had seven different motorhome but this, by far, is the best ride.
My previous reply applies to our Powerglide.
__________________
Dewey & Sharon
Southern Maryland suburbs of DC
2019 Entegra Anthem 44F
DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:39 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Arcadia, Florida
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeWat View Post
My previous reply applies to our Powerglide.
Dewey,
I just called Tiffin. On the early Powerglide chassis that is the way they had it. You would retract the jacks and then hit the "Raise" rocker switch. Evidently the must of had some complaints because the they switched to the way yours works. Mine is a 2011. Yours is probably newer. Thanks for your response.
__________________
Dick Schaak
2011 Allegro 43 Bus
dickschaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 01:41 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 3,544
Call Tiffin Service to confirm, but I believe the Bus has a separate switch to inflate the suspension. Check the dash panel switches or the one by your left elbow.
__________________
Roger & Mary
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (Sold)
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 02:11 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Arcadia, Florida
Posts: 563
You are right. Just on the early Powerglide chassis. I did call Tiffin. Thanks.
__________________
Dick Schaak
2011 Allegro 43 Bus
dickschaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 03:49 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Pigman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,968
My 2013 Bus on a PG chassis requires the separate dash switch be hit to air up the bags. I hit it immediately after I hit the "Retract" button on the HWH panel and the jacks retract and airbags inflate at the same time.
__________________
Pigman
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:10 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Arcadia, Florida
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
My 2013 Bus on a PG chassis requires the separate dash switch be hit to air up the bags. I hit it immediately after I hit the "Retract" button on the HWH panel and the jacks retract and airbags inflate at the same time.
Pigman,
Thanks. That is really helpful to know the sequence to use. I am amazed that there isn't any documentation for the procedure. Solves a big problem for me. Tanks again!
Dick
__________________
Dick Schaak
2011 Allegro 43 Bus
dickschaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Arcadia, Florida
Posts: 563
Pigman,
I forgot to ask if you have to continually hold down the raise rocker switch or do you press and release? Also, to dump the air when extending the jacks, do you have to use the "lower" to dump or should it do that automatically? Thanks.
__________________
Dick Schaak
2011 Allegro 43 Bus
dickschaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 07:10 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Pigman1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,968
When we level, I just hit the auto on the HWH panel and the Bus air dumps as the first step of the auto level sequence. If I manually level, I may or may not use the dash switch to dump the air or not. If we're on a fairly level spot and we're only going to be there overnight, I usually won't dump the bags.

When getting ready to hit the road and I'm on dumped bags, I start the engine then I do an auto-retract on the HWH panel and just hit the air up dash switch momentarily. The first thing that happens when I hit the HWH switch is that the jacks drop you down till the bump stops are on the frame (1-2 seconds). By then I hit the air-up switch. I can hear when the dump valve closes and the bags begin to fill. I then step outside to be sure the jacks are retracting normally and that the air bags are filling. I watch the fill by how much clearance there is from the top of the steer tires to the top of the wheel wells. I'm also checking antennas, awnings and that everything else is ready for travel as I walk around.
__________________
Pigman
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500 Toad
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Arcadia, Florida
Posts: 563
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
When we level, I just hit the auto on the HWH panel and the Bus air dumps as the first step of the auto level sequence. If I manually level, I may or may not use the dash switch to dump the air or not. If we're on a fairly level spot and we're only going to be there overnight, I usually won't dump the bags.

When getting ready to hit the road and I'm on dumped bags, I start the engine then I do an auto-retract on the HWH panel and just hit the air up dash switch momentarily. The first thing that happens when I hit the HWH switch is that the jacks drop you down till the bump stops are on the frame (1-2 seconds). By then I hit the air-up switch. I can hear when the dump valve closes and the bags begin to fill. I then step outside to be sure the jacks are retracting normally and that the air bags are filling. I watch the fill by how much clearance there is from the top of the steer tires to the top of the wheel wells. I'm also checking antennas, awnings and that everything else is ready for travel as I walk around.
That is really a detailed description of the correct process. Thanks a million.
__________________
Dick Schaak
2011 Allegro 43 Bus
dickschaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 09:05 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
capecodbob's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by dickschaak View Post
Dewey,
I just called Tiffin. On the early Powerglide chassis that is the way they had it. You would retract the jacks and then hit the "Raise" rocker switch. Evidently the must of had some complaints because the they switched to the way yours works. Mine is a 2011. Yours is probably newer. Thanks for your response.
I have posted this same question on here and not gotten anywhere. This is good news. I have 2010 PG chassis HWH. Had trouble getting bags to air up. Sometimes yes sometimes no. However if I strated leaving they would air up by the time I got out of the CG.

I did find outthat there is some kind of electrical conn. that is bypassed when the brakes are released and makes sure that air is supplied to the bags. So that is probably how it is they air up after starting out. I will try the rocker switch the next time I move.

Thanks to all who answered. It is great to have this forum.
__________________

capecodbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
air



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
proper way to reseal roof? mayhem69 iRV2.com General Discussion 26 05-07-2012 06:36 AM
Proper way to winterize the ice maker enjoyrv Newmar Owner's Forum 18 10-21-2010 06:37 PM
proper way to measure a class c motorhome mechanic1 Class C Motorhome Discussions 11 04-17-2010 07:01 AM
Proper Way to Prime VCBandit Caterpillar Engine Forum 2 02-18-2010 07:45 PM
Proper Way To Jack An Excel Highgturn Excel Owner's Forum 2 10-09-2007 07:28 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:10 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.