Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2017, 03:25 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Purchase Advice Requested...Knundrum!

I posted this on the Class A Forum, but thought I might get some good feedback here since this is a Tiffin RV.

Made a deal last week on a new 2017 Tiffin Allegro 31MA and trading my 2014 Winnebago Vista. Pulled some cash out of my 401 and created a tax event of $5,000. Scheduled the delivery in another state for Monday. Got a call from the sales manager on Friday who said they discovered an oil leak on the engine. Not sure where, but I did ask if it was the rear main. He said he thought it was coming from a bolt. I contacted the salesman later and asked where the leak was. He stated it was a bolt and their portable mechanic couldn't get to it so it will have to go to Ford for repair and they cant get to it for three weeks. I have put$500 down on the coach. I told both the salesman and the manager I want to know exactly where the leak was and what action was taken once it was fixed. Would be interested in any advice any of you could provide in this situation. They do not have a coach currently in stock that we are interested in. I have not asked if they have a similar coach coming in that is a 2018.

If I choose to move forward with this purchase, do any of you believe Ford or Tiffin would extend the warranty on this coach?
Thanks in advance for the help.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2017, 04:19 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Can't say if they would extend the warranty... The standard warranty should be enough to cover the problem if it comes up again.

The question for me would be "How comfortable am I with the repair being made and is it a critical engine component or is it something simple like a loose pan bolt?"

I hate to take anything back for warranty work, especially if it involves the engine or chassis.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 07:06 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I agree. I think I will wait until I find out for sure and in writing what the issue is. Thanks
Old 08-27-2017, 08:16 PM   #4

Run from the deal now. Don't accept repaired new MH. I'm really surprised they told you about the leak, it must really be bad. Finding a Ford dealer to work on a F53 chassis can be hard to find. I had a brake problem that wasn't covered by the warranty, unit was still under the 60,000 5 year warranty - bottom line they offered to tow it for free, but nearest dealer to work on it was 150 miles away, so I just had it fixed locally at the garage I have change the oil. Dave
Old 08-27-2017, 08:53 PM   #5

Dave, allegro1x, is right on the money; walk away. Good advice Dave
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4X4
Gary CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:38 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
IMO A new F53 chassis engine should not be leaking. I have had two V10 gassers and never had a problem with the Ford chassis. Your decision about walking away but I would be very leary of a engine oil leak.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:25 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you all for your advice. I walked on this deal. Just didnt feel right.
Old 08-30-2017, 07:34 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Purchase advise

Good decision to walk away DC0046 - I wouldn't have felt right about starting a relationship with a new coach that started out in the repair shop before I even drove it.
FMCA # F26083
fluffyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 08:10 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC0046 View Post
Thank you all for your advice. I walked on this deal. Just didnt feel right.
SMART decision! Leaks don't "come from bolts"! They come from gaskets that should have been compressed by bolts, they come from leaking seals, they come from cracks in cases and housings, many other things, but making the statement:

"The oil leak is coming from a bolt"

gives absolutely NO helpful information while at the same time making it seem that it is a minor problem! Truth was, either they didn't have any idea of where it was coming from, or they didn't want to tell you!

Good on you for walking!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 06:20 PM   #10

If it was really "from a bolt" seems like their mechanic would have had a simple task to repair / replace the bolt (and they probably wouldn't have even mentioned it) vs "sending it out" for a 3 week delay.

Sounds like salesman BS -

I think I'd call the Ford garage and inquire about the coach repair...even insinuate you are purchasing / considering purchasing and want more info.
Would be interesting - might be the difference in buying another MH from the MH dealer or moving on to another dealer...based on how honest they were.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 07:30 PM   #11

You did the right thing by walking but you were talking to the Sales Manager and your salesman. Neither knew squat about the unit. When I purchased my coach I had to tell the salesman how many things worked such as how to retract the slides. He kept pushing the button and nothing happened. I finally told him that the key had to be in the ignition. Before I even went to look I had downloaded and read all of the manuals on the coach. I have a habit good or bad of researching any major purchase to death so I am well armed when dealing with salesmen. In your case talking to the service manager may have been better but as others have said the V-10 should have no leaks and bolts don't leak oil.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 06:53 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have now ordered a 31MA from a local dealer. It cost a bit more, but is one year newer. Should be here by Christmas. Thanks again for all the feedback. Wife and I are excited about getting our new motorhome. The Vista we purchased two years ago has been a great motorhome, but we always knew if we liked the experience we would upgrade some day. Thanks all.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:17 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I think you over reacted. Maybe the leak was a loose oil filter or drain plug.
It doesn't sound like you waited to find out.

Can a bolt on an engine leak? Yes. It doesn't mean the engine or RV is bad. But if you didn't feel comfortable with the sales guy or dealership or deal, then its best to walk away from it.

I hope your new purchase is in great shape and provides years of enjoyment.
Good luck.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2017, 09:32 AM   #14

Find out from your fund manager if you can reverse the withdrawal. Perhaps if done within 30 days you can get it restored without penalty.

I ended up financing my unit because I was earning more in the 401K, tax free, than the interest I was paying on a loan (which could be deductible if you have enough deductions that come out to be more than the standard deduction). i.e. basically, I avoided a big withdrawal to my 401K. I spent some time doing the calculation.

If this is a rear main seal leak, I would avoid the purchase unless they can do a timely transmission removal and properly replace the seal AND test the repair on a 500 mile run. I have seem replaced seals still leak... and I have seen mechanics put snake oil in the crankcase to temporarily seal a leak to cover up the problem.

Good luck with this situation!

Tags
purchase, advice