Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #1

Purchase New 37 AP Bus

I am considering the purchase of a new, 2017, 37AP Bus. Although, finding an MSRP with the Tiffin line seems to be a bit more difficult than with some manufacturers; I have conducted an across the nation survey of Tiffin Dealers and determined that an MSRP of $392,000 would fairly represent what we are looking for in the 37AP.

I have been extremely surprised by how few of this model are in dealer inventory, I would say no more than 20 in the entire country. None of the dealer inventory matches the configuration we would prefer all things being equal.

I have 2 questions:

1. What percent reduction off the MSRP should I reasonably expect I could negotiate for the 37AP?

2. Would the percentage off MSRP change if purchasing via an order as opposed to purchasing from dealer inventory and if so by how much?
sundance1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2017, 01:14 PM   #2

I can't answer your specific questions, but I can give you some insight on why there are so few Tiffin products on dealer lots.

Tiffin conducts their business on a strictly cash basis. This means that no RV leaves their factory unless it is fully paid for. No credit, no contracts, paid in full. This applies to coaches that are special ordered for a specific buyer or for a dealer inventory. Until Tiffin RECEIVES payment in full it doesn't leave the factory.

We found out about their procedures when at the plant watching our special ordered coach being built. No doubt it makes a difference in how dealers stock their lots and how their pricing structure is set up.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:22 PM   #3

Tiffin is also pretty much maxed out on build orders and capacity.

Not a lot left over for dealers.

You can negotiate for existing inventory with dealers, but their willingness to discount depends on how long the unit has been sitting in inventory. They will have to build in the cost of money from their time of purchase.

That means you'll probably have more negotiating room if you order the coach the way you want it and have it built, but then you'll have to wait about 12 weeks or so before you get it. There are three dealers located in the SE who consistently tend to give better deals on new orders; Davis, Sherman, and Marlin Ingram. Usually about 25%-28% off list. There are current price lists including options at:

Tiffin Pricing
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 11:23 PM   #4

Thank you Pigman, that is good insight. I was not aware that Tiffin had this unique, at least I assume it is unique policy. Seems like a sound business practice to me.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:38 PM   #5

Thank you DWRichard, that info is really helpful. I will pass it on to the DW, otherwise known as the decision maker, and see if she will allow me to act on it This forum never ceases to amaze me. Any RVer that fails to use this forum must know everything there is to know or he is on the other extreme.

Thanks again
Old 03-18-2017, 11:55 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundance1 View Post
Thank you Pigman, that is good insight. I was not aware that Tiffin had this unique, at least I assume it is unique policy. Seems like a sound business practice to me.
Newmar is the same, MH must be paid for before it leaves the factory, wheter cash or flooring arranged by the dealer.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:32 PM   #7

Discount

We have a 37AP 2014 and love it.

The dealer tried to talk us out of ordering our unit, but their were special changes we wanted.

We were able to get 28% off total list price

This is our seventh new Motorhome, and we have had fewer problems with our 37AP

John and Debbie
2014 37AP
jhbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:22 AM   #8

Purchase 2017 37AP

Thanks for your feedback jhbright. I feel my compromises will be fewer and I will get much closer to my dream MH, only if I order.

Would you mind telling me what dealer you purchased your coach from and throw in a few words about your experience with that dealer.

Thank you

sundance1
Old 03-23-2017, 06:56 AM   #9

Purchase New 37 AP Bus

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhbright View Post
We have a 37AP 2014 and love it.

The dealer tried to talk us out of ordering our unit, but their were special changes we wanted.

We were able to get 28% off total list price

This is our seventh new Motorhome, and we have had fewer problems with our 37AP

John and Debbie
2014 37AP

I was under the impression that Tiffin did not allow special changes so I'm curios if you were selecting from the options list or changes beyond that.

My wife and I looked at the 37AP.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:42 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tiffin may allow special changes but the secret to getting them depends on whether or not what you want is used in another coach they build. For example, if you wanted a couch used in the Bus line to be installed in a Phaeton, you would probably get it. If you want something installed that is not normally purchased by Tiffin, you are probably going to get turned down. So if you want something different, just ask.

To the OP
To get a MSRP and ordering sheet from Tiffin, just call the Sales dept. in Red Bay. There are four dealers in the Tiffin dealer network that are considered outstanding by Tiffin owners: Davis Motorhome Mart, Memphis; Sherman RV, Sherman, MS; Martin Ingram, Montgomery, AL; Kings Campers, Wausau, WI. The retail price for ordered units usually falls somewhere between 25-30% off MSRP.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Also be aware that if ordering a new Bus, the time from order to delivery will run 8 to 12 weeks, 12 being the norm. But I was told last week that orders right now are slow and builds are running around 8 weeks. Also the new 2018 price list for buses should be out in June and it seems that price increases each year about $7500 on average. Paint and other changes can occur near a model year change too so if you order one now, make sure what color etc it will be when it hits the assembly line.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 11:36 AM   #12

I'll throw in my 2 cents, from the outside looking in... I think that the few of this model may be due to overall customer demand, meaning that in this price point, the length of this model is quite shorter and more limiting that the 40' to 45' Buses.
Though there may be those of us who might want a shorter coach, I'll bet that dealers don't get a lot of demand, compared to the lengthier coaches that are more typical...

: )
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lass View Post
I was under the impression that Tiffin did not allow special changes so I'm curios if you were selecting from the options list or changes beyond that.

My wife and I looked at the 37AP.
It's a question of persistence and a bit of luck. We wanted a 43' Bus WITHOUT Aqua Hot Heat, and with gas range/oven, gas/electric water heater, and gas hot air heat. We asked Bob if he'd build it and he refused. A year later we asked again and although he refused, he seemed to waffle a bit. A year later we enlisted the help of a dealer at the Hershey, PA, show and after some phone time Tiffin agreed. According to Bob, ours is the only one like this and I know a number of potential buyers who he has turned down for a similar build since then.

We boondock a lot and this was a make or break issue. Looks like we'll never replace this current coach with a new Tiffin coach. Bob's choice, our choice. BTW, the LP gas 43' works exactly as we hoped. 67,000 miles in less than 4 1/2 years.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #14

New to post but a avid reader. My DW and I have Tiffin Allegro Bus as one of our top three choices. If we decide to get one and order it instead of getting a used one how much do the dealers mentioned above want as a deposit? We are in Hawaii so would these dealerships deal over the phone or email? Thanks for the help.
da808popo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase