Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2014, 05:56 AM   #15

I'm following another inverter issue thread, I think much of this info would be of value to that gentleman as well. Having just survived a similar replacement decision, I more knowledgable and even more fascinated with the information I am still learning from these valuable posts.
Fortunately, the tech walked me through a simple fix which saved me the replacement and upgrade cost.
However, I'm planning for the inevitable day when I have to replace. I've made a pro/con list for each of these categories:
Repair; replace minimal cost; replace with suitable sub--form-fit-function; replace with OME; replace with top of line upgrade.
Nuclear is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2014, 07:30 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

Well Richard... All the stuff you have TODAY.. But what about tomorrow.. One forum member in one of the forums I frequent purchased a night light.. Yes, a night light.. Worked fine on shore power.. On MSW inverter power... FLAME ON. It caught fire.

Or the heating pad you buy for that tired muscle (Boy do I have those today) Someone in this thread commented on that.

Or perhaps you wish to listen to an AM radio.

Or perhaps you are parked next to me and I do use an AM radio.
I had the same problem with a device that detected when there was a 120 VAC power loss. It was brand new so to first charge it I plugged it into one of my regular outlets. Unfortunately, the power went out while it was charging and my MSW inverter took over. I happen to be outside for a few minutes and when entering the coach it was full of electrical smoke. That device went into the trash and was never replaced even though it was going to be used ONLY on a non-inverter duplex. I decided on a different method for a power-loss alarm.

However, I will say once again, if the MSW will work on ALL of the devices one PLANS on using then it doesn't make ANY sense to spend hundreds of dollars to upgrade to a PSW inverter. Common sense must prevail. I would not spend $1500 - $2000 to convert to a PSW just to use a $2 nightlight.

If the inverter was toast then it probably makes sense to upgrade to a PSW at that time. But if everything is working that you want and need to work on a MSW, why spend the money unless of course you have some money to burn and want the PSW.

JMTCW

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:16 AM   #17

Jayco Owners Club
I do not have personal experience in this issue, but from what I have been researching, if you plan to charge/ recharge any sort if computer, tablet, smart phone, etc, you will ruin them with the modified wave. Before trying to save money on the inverter, I would take a serious look at the reasons and uses of both types. I know it will be less expensive to buy a pure sine instead of replacing all my computerized equipment....

Please do the research!

Lindsay
RayAndLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAndLin View Post
I do not have personal experience in this issue, but from what I have been researching, if you plan to charge/ recharge any sort if computer, tablet, smart phone, etc, you will ruin them with the modified wave. Before trying to save money on the inverter, I would take a serious look at the reasons and uses of both types. I know it will be less expensive to buy a pure sine instead of replacing all my computerized equipment....

Please do the research!

Lindsay
Not true!

I have charged both laptops and mobile phones on my Trace MSW Inverter among many other devices that have chargers.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:22 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I am with Richard on this one. I have charged all sorts of electronics on my old modified sine inverter without any problems what so ever.

Just in case you decide to buy a new inverter (modified or true sine) I would like to tell you where I got a really good price when changing mine. Here they are.

I have no interest or connection to this this company whatsoever, other that I bought my true sine inverter from them. Excellent price and excellent service. They were a lot cheaper that any other company i could Google. Do Google their price if you are "in the marked".

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:20 PM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayAndLin View Post

Please do the research!

Lindsay
I agree with Richard I run all of the above on my MSW with no problems

On the subject of upgrading inverters or replacing inverters. My 2500 watt Xantrex inverter that came with my 2005 MH uses a phone cable in connection with the remote. The new 3000 watt Xantrex psw that I was looking at buying uses a cat 5 cable to communicate with the remote. I called xantrex to see if I could just replace the cable ends with RJ45 ends because Cat 5 only uses 4 wires. The normal customer service people could not answer my question but they had someone from their technical department call me. The simple answer is no because the pinout is a bit different on the Xantrex cat 5. There is a company that makes a powered adapter that you can supply 12 volts to and then plug in your phone cable and it will handle the conversion. They have sent me the adapter system and it is waiting for me to get back from this camping trip. I am very pleased with the support I have recieved from the Xantrex technical people about this problem and the fact that there is a ready made solution. I was not looking forward to running cat 5 cable from the end of my coach to the remote which is in a cabinet at the ceiling above the drivers seat. When I get home and get the name of the company that makes the adapter I will post it for people that have need of this product.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 06:10 AM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I agree with Richard I run all of the above on my MSW with no problems

On the subject of upgrading inverters or replacing inverters. My 2500 watt Xantrex inverter that came with my 2005 MH uses a phone cable in connection with the remote. The new 3000 watt Xantrex psw that I was looking at buying uses a cat 5 cable to communicate with the remote. I called xantrex to see if I could just replace the cable ends with RJ45 ends because Cat 5 only uses 4 wires. The normal customer service people could not answer my question but they had someone from their technical department call me. The simple answer is no because the pinout is a bit different on the Xantrex cat 5. There is a company that makes a powered adapter that you can supply 12 volts to and then plug in your phone cable and it will handle the conversion. They have sent me the adapter system and it is waiting for me to get back from this camping trip. I am very pleased with the support I have recieved from the Xantrex technical people about this problem and the fact that there is a ready made solution. I was not looking forward to running cat 5 cable from the end of my coach to the remote which is in a cabinet at the ceiling above the drivers seat. When I get home and get the name of the company that makes the adapter I will post it for people that have need of this product.
This issue is the main reason that I purchased a Magnum MS2812 to replace our old Freedom 20 inverter. The Magnum uses the same phone cable to connect the remote.

Plug 'n Play.

I am very pleased with the Magnum. An excellent product.

Jim
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 10:52 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Another item for the list (Of things that do not like MSW)....

Poster in another thread had a Crock Pot brand Slow cooker.. This one had electronic controls.. Fried 2 of them on MSW..

Slow cookers come in two types (Same as coffee pots I might add) Some have only a mechanical thermostat and a resistive heat element, and (optionally, except on coffee pots) a mechanical switch.. These work find on either MSW or PSW.

Some (like my Mr. Coffee) Have electronics.. Work fine on PSW.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #23

There is another option (assuming the MSW is working fine) ... a
"smallish" 600W or 1000W PSW inverter (no charger) on a separate circuit that is in addition to the existing 2000W MSW.
Old 05-10-2014, 10:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Not true!

I have charged both laptops and mobile phones on my Trace MSW Inverter among many other devices that have chargers.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
x2...6 years on a Xantrex MSW...NO ISSUES with microwave, laptops, or LCD TV's. Charged phones on DC. One thing though is that the laptops & TV's used a brick to convert to DC ...so perhaps a straight AC microprocessor operation would be more sensitive. Like digital clocks.

One thing that I've not looked at in a while but was the case back when I bought the Xantrex was STANDBY power draw which was significantly lower on the MSW's.

EDIT...RESEARCH DONE
NO load draw of Current Xantrex 2000W sine wave is 3 amps...that is enough to take TWO Group 24 batteries to 50% in a DAY even if you never turn anything else on!
Same 2000watt capable MSW unit draws .12amps... or about 3 amps a day.
This is a HUGE difference if you boondock.

Checked Magnum too...they don't make it quite as clear but it looks like they use about 2 amps on standby on most units. 50 amphours a day wasted.

Pure sine is great for some stuff... but the difference in price is not the only disadvantage.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:01 PM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
Just in case you decide to buy a new inverter (modified or true sine) I would like to tell you where I got a really good price when changing mine. Here they are. .........................................
Same place I bought my inverter, controller, battery monitor, and AGS. Great company and the cheapest I found on the net.
dons2346 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 01:12 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: Charles, I still don't know why you want to replace your inverter with a sin wave model. However, many (most) refrigerators really prefer the sin wave type, so I assume that this is the reason. If so, there is another possibility. Just leave the current system as it is and add a sin wave inverter for the refrigerator.

This puts me in the position of being neither on the side of the sin wave or modified sin wave, but we found it to be the easiest way to solve our situation when adding a new residential refrigerator. You simply run wires from the battery bank to the new inverter and then wires to the refrigerator. The incentive is that the whole solution cost me about $700 instead of $2000 or so for the sin wave inverter that includes a converter, changeover relay etc. And the amount of work is also reduced.

I don't know if you do much dry camping, but if you do, you might want to add batteries to your battery bank. We now have 6 golf cart batteries.

Let me know if you plan to do this yourself and I'll give you more info.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter