Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 03:14 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
QD 8000 Generator Problem

Has anyone had this happen to them: Before my last trip I started the GenSet to cool off the coach before we got underway. Started the Generator and it ran for 2 seconds and cut off. I tried to restart several times but in all cases it cut off. Called Tiffin and the tech walked me through a reset sequence. It started and I ran it for minute and cut it off thinking I was good. When I got home I went to vacuum the floor and guess what. It ran for 2 seconds and quit. Called Tiffin again and this time we narrowed the trouble code on the start button to a High voltage overload. To make this long story short, the block heater was plugged in and the breaker was on. This load caused it not to start. Unplugged it and the Generator has worked flawlessly. In the past this thing was active and it has just decided to tank now. I am thinking there is a relay that has gone out on the heater circuit.. Any ideas. Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #2

I pretty sure you have an automated transfer switch that has a built-in delay so if the generator only runs 2 seconds before it dies, it hasn't even transferred load yet. Hopefully it never happens again, but if it does you might want to shutoff the circuit breaker on your generator and see if the generator will stay running. If not, you likely have a generator issue. The fault code (blinking light on the switch) should give you an indication of what is wrong.
lotsoftoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:36 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado574 View Post
Has anyone had this happen to them: Before my last trip I started the GenSet to cool off the coach before we got underway. Started the Generator and it ran for 2 seconds and cut off. I tried to restart several times but in all cases it cut off. Called Tiffin and the tech walked me through a reset sequence. It started and I ran it for minute and cut it off thinking I was good. When I got home I went to vacuum the floor and guess what. It ran for 2 seconds and quit. Called Tiffin again and this time we narrowed the trouble code on the start button to a High voltage overload. To make this long story short, the block heater was plugged in and the breaker was on. This load caused it not to start. Unplugged it and the Generator has worked flawlessly. In the past this thing was active and it has just decided to tank now. I am thinking there is a relay that has gone out on the heater circuit.. Any ideas. Thanks.
Should start the gen set with a load on it.

Why do you have your heater block on in the summer
Old 08-13-2016, 07:19 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Lots of people have found their block heaters plugged in when they had no clue they were. Came from the factory that way. First thing I did was unplug that thing since I had read of issues with it.

I also never start the genset with a heavy draw on it. Give it a couple of minutes to get up to speed and then turn on the ac's or whatever. Never good to run the genset when shore power is present either.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:26 PM   #5

Ok. Stupid question. How do you unplug the block heater?
Esc Pod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:54 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all the info. Yes it does have an automatic transfer switch. When the generator is started until the transfer switch kicks in, you can tell this has taken place by the change in pitch of the generator and the microwave comes on, a tell tale sign. The question is why with the heater plugged in why is the outside the makeup of the transfer switch. Several months ago you could start with everything including the heater plugged in and now it won't run with it energized. Still can't figure that on out. However now the breaker is off so it should not make a difference. By the way the block heater on mine is in the back compartment on the passenger side of the coach. Thanks again.

Tags
generator