Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2014, 06:09 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Question for owners of 2014 Open road or electrical knowledge

I have two questions #1 There is a white electric outlet just below my dash computer that does NOT have any current to it. Dealer has requested wiring schematics from Tiffin, Anyone have outlet there and is it white (all my other outlets in RV are brown.) and is operational?

#2 Dealer tells me there is NOT ONE outlet in Kitchen or anywhere else that is connected to the inverter., other than my residential refr, main TV and bedroom TV. Says unit is made that way because my inverter is not large enough to have one of the kitchen outlets be on the converter. Question came up when was staying overnite at a walmart on my way to dealer. I could watchTV in LR or BR but could not make coffee without turning on gen. Seems to me that instesd of having main TV and bedroom tv connected to inverte, it would make more sense to have one outlet in kitchen connected. Do any of the 2014 open road have such an outlet? The inverter has this info on it INverter Rating input = 12V-127 A max : output= 120V- 10.4 A Max AND BY PASS rating input 120V-20A Max UTPUT = 120V, 20A Max
Newmar 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2014, 06:17 PM   #2

Outlet

Have not tried to use my outlet on passenger side below dash but my guess is it may only be powered when generator is running. Try it
Inverter switch is above passenger seat where tank level indicator is. Have you turned it on?
Would check but our coach is surrounded by snow still.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:27 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This would be NEED TO KNOW
Getting ready to hit the road, But still getting answers. So thanks for the help! 2006 Winnebago Sightseer 29R Ford F53. Roadmaster Eagle 8000. 2001 Ford F150 7700 4x4. Still shopping for toad brakes. FMCA F286179
bobandshaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 06:32 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I cant find any inverter switch in coach, My level indicator is on Kitchen wall in the 2014. Yes the outlet was tested with gen and shore power. Do you have the resd refg, if so do you have any outlets that work off inverter besides refg and TVs
Old 03-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #5

Inverter

Mine is a 2013 with a RV 2 way fridge. On ours inverter is for TV's and surround sound only. switch is in cabinet above passenger seat beside overhead TV.
Old 03-10-2014, 09:43 PM   #6

We do not have a residential frig, so are different, but:

We do have the white outlet. Our inverter powers the entertainment systems and that white outlet. That is all that is connected to it.

That outlet is to run a computer or charge cell phones while driving down the road. Our inverter switch is above the passenger seat next to the tank meters.

If memory serves me right, our inverter is 700 or 800 Watts. I would think you have a bigger inverter and most likely more batteries to run the reefer.

We have a 2013 Open Road 35QBA.
cj23andout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:02 PM   #7

You might want to check the GFCIs that are in the entertainment circuit.

Even if your TVs are working on battery/inverter, you may have tripped the GFCI in the basement.

That dash outlet may jump off of the basement TV outlet. On my rig, the outlet in the basement is run off of the inverter, too. It is common to have one Ground Fault Circuit Interruptor and jump one or more regular outlets off of it. If that one trips, the rest of the chain goes out.

I can't remember, does that white outlet have the "reset/test" buttons? If not, look for the master GFCI somewhere in that circuit.

I'll check this thread tomorrow evening and if no answer, check my rig in the driveway. Right now its off to bed for an early morning to work.
Old 03-11-2014, 02:56 PM   #8

Just checked mine. Inverter is off and only power is coming from 110v 15amp house line running to coach. Outlet is live.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:43 PM   #9

My plug under the dash worked fine on way back from FL. Plugged extention cord in for Chihuaua's electric blanket, she liked it fine so it was working. Probably is a gfi plug problem. 2012 32CA bought with 6,500 miles, while in FL. Dave
Old 03-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #10

Just checked my white outlet under the dash.

No power to coach, the outlet did not work. Turned inverter button on, outlet worked.

Power to coach, outlet worked with or without inverter button on.

Did not test generator, but sure it would work.

The GFCI is provided by a GFCI breaker in the main breaker panel. I hit the test button and power went out to the white outlet. It is wired through the GFCI breaker.

The outlets that power the entertainment equipment (minus the big center TV that's currently behind slide) all had regular non-GFCI outlets that were brown.

So, I would check to see if you have more than one GFCI circuit. That could explain why your TVs worked on inverter but not this outlet.

Keep in mind to truly test the inverter, you must have no power to the coach and run off of the battery inverting 12V DC to 110V AC. If you have the generator on or the power cord plugged in, you will be running off of that power and not the inverter.

The beauty of this system is that your engine's alternator will charge your batteries while you are running down the road, and you will not need the generator. I would check the electrical draw of any kitchen appliance before you plug it into an inverter circuits on inverter power.
Old 03-12-2014, 08:51 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for all the replys. I have checked the inverter with both gen and shore power off. I will look for the basement gfi and inverter switch today. I have five gfi outlets three in kitchen one in 1/2 bath and one in back bath---only one of them has a reset button. There is no current to the white outlet at anytime. Dealer tech could not determine where the wires went from the white outlet ,that is why he sent request to Tiffin for wiring diagrams.
Old 03-12-2014, 11:53 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncruiser 11 View Post
Thanks for all the replys. I have checked the inverter with both gen and shore power off. I will look for the basement gfi and inverter switch today. I have five gfi outlets three in kitchen one in 1/2 bath and one in back bath---only one of them has a reset button. There is no current to the white outlet at anytime. Dealer tech could not determine where the wires went from the white outlet ,that is why he sent request to Tiffin for wiring diagrams.
I have a 2014 36LA and that front outlet is run off of the inverter. You might want to check the breakers on the inverter.
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
The inverter powers the outlet from the house batteries when the inverter is switched on. Does this when on shore power or generator. Switching the inverter off causes it to go into bypass mode where the 120V CB at your main panel passes power to the circuit. On or off the outlet should be hot if you're on power.

My coach has the outlet under the passenger dash, the outlet above the driver, and the mid TV outlet powered from the inverter. No others in the coach are powered off the inverter. (I wish the outlet by the dinette was on the inverter.)
coachmanrvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical