Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2015, 07:14 PM   #1

Questions, Questions...

Nise Newbie here. I have read the entire owner's manual and still have questions. I would certainly appreciate any assistance. 2005 37ft Allegro Bay Gas Class A. 1) How much gas does the fuel tank hold? 2) Can I extend the slide-outs. (rear bedroom + living and dining area) without leveling first. If so, can you keep them out without leveling ( say overnight)? I was told at the dealership to extend slide-outs before leveling. Right or Wrong? 3) If I am going to flush the water system with chorine bleach, do I need to bypass the water heater? If so, how do I do that? 4)But I need new engine battery and some window issues need to be addressed. They are damp on the inside. Is that fixable?I am hoping I can take off in early October. Thanks for any assistance possible. Nise52
Nise52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2015, 07:32 PM   #2

My B-I-L's 2005 Allegro Bay, 35' on a Workhorse chassis, had a 75 gal fuel tank. I'm sure if your chassis is Workhorse , it'll be the same.
Every coach manufacturer has different rec-commendations for leveling and slide deployment, so I'll let a current Tiffin owner answer that question.
Yes bleach should be kept out of the water heater, there will be three valves behind the tank , as in the picture below , the valve handles are turned across the water tubes to stop flow, so the top and bottom valves should be turned off , and the center opened, to flush the lines and the water heater drain ( under the outside cover )removed to drain the heater.
Are the windows double paned glass? There are shops that re-seal them, but they have to be removed from the coach.
EDIT: In the picture all three valves are open, so that would not work for what your trying to do.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3valvewaterheaterbypass_.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	101898  
Old 08-03-2015, 09:46 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tiffin coaches are level first, then extend slides.

Your water heater bypass valve is normally mounted in the wet bay. I've never heard of keeping bleach out of the water heater. Water heaters are great sources of stinky water bacteria and need to be treated just like the rest of the system. You dilute the bleach before use, BTW.

Do you have double pane windows? If you have moisture between the glass, then these windows can be repaired. If you have single pane, then humidity inside the coach is causing condensation. Try running the air conditioners to pull the moisture out. Once it is dry in the coach, it is very unusual to have this happen in the Summer and if it happens, I'd be checking for leaks.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 01:49 PM   #4

Heres the brochure with specs http://www.tiffinmotorhomes.com/pdfs...ayBrochure.pdf
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 04:11 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How much fuel Two ways to find out but the one I recommend is to search every cabnet and storage space INSIDE the RV.. Usually on the inside of a door (Kitchen cupboard in my case) or on the back wall (Wardrobe in my case) you will find papers... ONE of those papers will tell you the capacity of all tanks, Fuel, Water, Black, Gray and so on.

IF you have power jacks leveling is an easy job from the driver's seat, THEN you put out slides,, at least on my book.

But if yours says slides out first. then there is no need to level, But I'd still do it provided
1: You are parked on gravel, hard pack sand or concrete (NOT ASHPHALT!!!) and
2: You have power jacks

No reason not to, only takes a minute or two.
Old 08-03-2015, 04:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip426 View Post
My B-I-L's 2005 Allegro Bay, 35' on a Workhorse chassis, had a 75 gal fuel tank. I'm sure if your chassis is Workhorse , it'll be the same.
Every coach manufacturer has different rec-commendations for leveling and slide deployment, so I'll let a current Tiffin owner answer that question.
Yes bleach should be kept out of the water heater,
Are the windows double paned glass? There are shops that re-seal them, but they have to be removed from the coach.
Skip426
Why do you think "bleach should be kept out of the water heater"??
Wondering.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 08:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
Skip426
Why do you think "bleach should be kept out of the water heater"??
Wondering.
Mel
'96 Safari
I sorry I should have qualified that , with " particularly if you have an aluminum tank" aluminum seems to hold the smell too long. Because of the concentration of bleach used compared to regular city water and the amount of times flushing would be required to clear the chlorine, before firing the water heater up to temp, when any chlorine remaining can get really stinky. If , I'm doing a chlorine treatment of the RV water system , I run the chlorine solution through everything but the water heater, then follow up with a solution using 1/2 gal of white vinegar; to get rid of the smell; including the water heater, then flush the whole system with fresh water and follow up with a water heater only flush.
Perhaps you can tell , water at my S&B isn't metered. Have to do this every spring when I arrive home from the south, water at my snowbird park is questionable even through a softener.
Old 08-04-2015, 11:28 AM   #8
paz

Nise52,
We had the same coach up until last January. I can tell you the sheet wa8yxm talks about should be on the door of the back closet where the washer/dryer would be (or where it is, if you have one). The sheet will give you make, model and serial numbers of all original equipment appliances installed in the motorhome.

The other thing you might want to check out is the Archives on the Tiffin website. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and look for Brochures and Specifications. They have info back to 2005.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:38 PM   #9

When I unplug my unit from 120 in does not flip to 12 volt. Any suggestions on what to check first.
Deano Catton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 01:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano Catton View Post
When I unplug my unit from 120 in does not flip to 12 volt. Any suggestions on what to check first.
Deano Catton
More information please.

What year, make and model is your "unit?

Are you saying you have 12VDC in the "house" of your coach when your coach is connected to shore power and no 12VDC in the "house of the coach when not connected to shore power?

Or are you talking about the "chassis 12VDC"?

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-12-2015, 02:08 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
If you have 12v power and unplug the coach and the 12v goes off. It just means that the 12v disconnect switch by the door is turned off. You had 12v being supplied by the converter not by the battery, so when you unplugged the power to the converter went away and you had no 12v. Just turn on the 12v power switch.
Old 08-13-2015, 07:09 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
If you have 12v power and unplug the coach and the 12v goes off. It just means that the 12v disconnect switch by the door is turned off. You had 12v being supplied by the converter not by the battery, so when you unplugged the power to the converter went away and you had no 12v. Just turn on the 12v power switch.
ga traveler
Which "12V disconnect switch by the door"?
If you are talking about the so called "salesman switch" the 12V for nearly all of the house lights and appliances is OFF when that switch is OFF whether
the coach has shore power or not.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-14-2015, 07:23 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
ga traveler
If you are talking about the so called "salesman switch" the 12V for nearly all of the house lights and appliances is OFF when that switch is OFF whether
the coach has shore power or not.

Mel
'96 Safari
Mel: We were a Allegro dealer for the fifteen years I was service manager. On the Allegro and the Fleetwoods, If you turn off the salesman switch, the lights still stay on if the coach is plugged in to 110 volts. The battery is disconnected but the 12 volts is supplied by the converter. Sorry Mel but you are wrong on this one.
Old 08-14-2015, 08:52 AM   #14

Quote:
ga traveler
If you are talking about the so called "salesman switch" the 12V for nearly all of the house lights and appliances is OFF when that switch is OFF whether the coach has shore power or not.
Mel
'96 Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Mel: We were a Allegro dealer for the fifteen years I was service manager. On the Allegro and the Fleetwoods, If you turn off the salesman switch, the lights still stay on if the coach is plugged in to 110 volts. The battery is disconnected but the 12 volts is supplied by the converter. Sorry Mel but you are wrong on this one.
ga traveler
It's possible that all Tiffin and Fleetwood coaches are wired as you say.
(I will have to take your word for that).
However not all salesman switches in all coaches are wired like those in Tiffins and Fleetwoods.

On my coach when the salesman switch is OFF the 12V house lights, roof vent fans, water pump, monitor panel, water heater, furnace and refrigerator see no 12VDC...whether the coach is plugged in or not.

Mel
'96 Safari