Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2017, 11:19 AM   #1

Rear Trac Bar Installation Pics Needed

DH is installing a SuperSteer rear track bar on our 2015 36LA. Does anyone have any pictures of their install? We can see clearly in a You Tube video where the passenger side is attached to the differential, but can't see clearly where the driver's side is attached to the rail. Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2017, 01:49 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the 18,000 pound chassis so the drivers side attaches on the axle to a bracket installed under the driver's side sway bar bracket instead of the differential. However, I believe that the passenger side has the same frame clamp design. Attached are a few pictures. One is the 22,000+ chassis install. The other two are pictures of my track bar. All pictures are looking to the rear

The passenger side clamp was the simplest part of the install. It fit right on the side rail with no clearance issues. The bottom bolts go through the bottom section of the clamp and thread into the track bar bracket. The side bolts are there to lock everything in place. I installed all of the bolt to just snug, fit the track bar bushing onto its bolt and then tightened everything up. However, in one of the pictures, I hadn't yet tighten anything as you can see threads. Just tighten to the torques that SS gives you in the instructions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-08-21_1324.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	173830   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3598.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	173831  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3592.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	173832  
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:08 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have a 2014 36LA and am wondering how this will work for you. Keep us posted with an update and if it is a huge improvement in handling. Thanks.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 10:35 PM   #4

Rear Trac Bar Installation Pics Needed

Would like to know too, being less than 2 years old, the leaf spring /schakle bushings should be fine. That is what the factory suspension controls. Put a phone on video, point it at the springs & shakles, then push the rear of rv side to side. Springs 2 years old should not wiggle.

My suspension shop said a good beef to these springs would be extra leafs in between stock. Really firm up the LA. Another good test he said was to take it up about 35 mph, then just wiggle the wheel back and forth. Does the vehicle track the movement, or does it just wiggle, the body?

See better supporting weight with springs, is first in the pecking order Vs supports of ancillary down the line.

Could also be dead wrong that the spring shackles are as good as they should be on the 24k.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:27 AM   #5

Thank you DenverTP. just what I needed. I will keep you all informed. DH plans to do the install this weekend, weather permitting. I will also have him check the springs.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:06 AM   #6

Load the rig to what you want to travel with, then go put it on a scale and tell us all what the number is. That is how one tests springs. Nothing personal.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #7

We always get weighed before a big trip where we are taking more supplies than usual just to be on the safe side. A visual inspection of the "underbelly" doesn't hurt either.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:07 PM   #8

We have spent an hour and a half installing the rear Trac bar. All that is left to do is to torque the jam nut on the rod assembly to 110. We realized we don't have a tool to do that. DH has a torque wrench that we used for the bolts. What kind of tool is used on nut?
DRosado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 03:57 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Calibrated arm. I'm sure there's a torque tool for a open end wrench, but I've never seen one. Torque = length of wrench x force on the end of the wrench.
DenverTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 05:53 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I haven't done this yet to my new to me 2015 34TGA. I see what you mean- I think tighten the bolt to the torque you want then just tighten the locking nut. If you really need to torque that nut a "crow foot" wrench

https://www.amazon.com/Sunex-97740-2...wfoot+wrenches

in the size you need should do the job.

Bob
Mowog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #11

Just wanted to give an update on our install of the rear trac bar. It took a total of 1 1/2 hour to do the install. A few days after completing the install, we ended up evacuating Miami in the RV for Hurricane Irma. We drove to Tallahassee and then on to Cajun Palms RV Resort in Henderson, LA when the storm took aim at Tallahassee. All I can say is, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! We took turns driving and both of us could not believe how much of a difference there was. We no longer felt the trucks coming up on us and absolutely very little or no "push". Even I felt comfortable to drive with one hand at times and to reach for and drink my water or soda while driving. It is most definitely worth the upgrade. I only wish we had done it sooner.
Old 10-23-2017, 08:16 AM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRosado View Post
Just wanted to give an update on our install of the rear trac bar. It took a total of 1 1/2 hour to do the install. A few days after completing the install, we ended up evacuating Miami in the RV for Hurricane Irma. We drove to Tallahassee and then on to Cajun Palms RV Resort in Henderson, LA when the storm took aim at Tallahassee. All I can say is, WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! We took turns driving and both of us could not believe how much of a difference there was. We no longer felt the trucks coming up on us and absolutely very little or no "push". Even I felt comfortable to drive with one hand at times and to reach for and drink my water or soda while driving. It is most definitely worth the upgrade. I only wish we had done it sooner.
Glad you like it.

As for the torque on that jam nut... it says 110 ft lbs but honestly, just give it a good dab of lock-tite that's supplied in the kit and then wrench it down real good.

Tags
install