Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-03-2017, 08:48 AM   #43

I decided to open my box o nuts (shipped to me 4/18), and see what I actually received. As you can see I got a package (6) of bolt/washer/nuts and a package (6) of the larger washer.

Does the larger washer replace the smaller one under the bolt head?

Or, does the original one go under the bolt head and the larger under the nut (or vice versa).

Or....... If the larger one "replaces" the smaller one under the bolt head, would it do any harm to add the smaller one under the nut anyway (assuming the bolt is long enough to do so)?

If it just replaces the original (and it makes no sense to add the smaller under the nut) I'm not going to give the smaller one to my dealer "to minimize any confusion" on thier part.......

Fpresto - please let us know what you find out if you get a reply from Tiffin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	74
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	160458  
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have not received my "Recall Kit" so I am basing this reply on the pictures. Tiffin is supplying us with grade 8 bolts, nuts, and washers. They are made of very strong hardened steel. The larger flat washers are intended to cover the slotted holes in the frame and/or the tow hitch which will prevent the bolts from pulling through the slots and provide a larger surface for strength. I would use the small washers under the bolt head and the large ones under the nut to cover the slotted holes. Since there is no Lock washer supplied I am assuming the nut is a self locking nut designed to not vibrate loose after it has been installed. My opinion is based on my 50 some years maintenance mechanic experience.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:21 AM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Look at the drawings they sent with the recall notice. They show how things should be.
Old 05-03-2017, 11:45 AM   #46

As I said above I also received 6 additional large flat washers for a total of 12. The recall drawing only shows 6. My inclination was to use all 12. 6 above with the bolt head and 6 below with the nut. It seems stronger to me.
To clarify I sent Ben Patton at Tiffin an email yesterday explaining the additional washers. He replied today "use all washers". This tells me that the recall drawing is incorrect.
fpresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 02:26 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by eprman1 View Post
Look at the drawings they sent with the recall notice. They show how things should be.
The drawing is incorrect. It only shows 6 washers and they are sending 12 and via email told me to use all 12, 6 above and 6 below. I do not know if they are correcting the drawing although I think they should to avoid confusion.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:50 PM   #48

Well I swapped the bolts today. It is not a hard job if you have the right equipment. I was surprised how small the originals were compared to the new ones they sent me. It was also very noticeable that the holes were too big for the original bolts although mine showed no signs of having moved. I don't understand how these hitches could have been installed for multiple years and not one installation technician questioned the size of the bolts and a lack of a washer on the nut side compared to the hole size. Or maybe they did and were over ruled by management. After the swap I am positive that if there is a failure it will not be due to the bolts.
Old 05-05-2017, 02:53 PM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpresto View Post
The drawing is incorrect. It only shows 6 washers and they are sending 12 and via email told me to use all 12, 6 above and 6 below. I do not know if they are correcting the drawing although I think they should to avoid confusion.
Just received my Recall tow hitch package which I ordered after reading the posts about extra washers. I DID NOT RECEIVE any extra washers. My 36LA already has the frame gussets. I received 6 bolts , 6 nuts and 6 washers per the drawing. The bolts and nuts came in one package with no washers included and The 6 very thick washers came in a separate package. The nuts are self locking so no lock washer in required. I did not receive 6 separate packages of a one bolt nut and washer like that shown in a earlier posting. And then a package of extra washers.
If you need the gussets Tiffin sends 10 washers, 10 Bolts and 10 nuts with two gussets for the frame per the drawing.
If you received 6 extra washers maybe Tiffin sent a extra package of washers by mistake. Maybe they changed suppliers for the nut bolt package. Who knows? Extra washers are not necessary per the drawing but it will not hurt anything if you use them under the bolt heads and under the nuts.
How many people have received 12 washers?
How many people have received 6 washers?

Remember the washers are only necessary to cover the slotted hoes in the frame and/or tow hitch per the drawing. I guess I need to look closer to see how many slotted holes I actually have. I may need 12 washers. Just don't know at this time.
Old 05-05-2017, 03:33 PM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Update

The pictures of Recall Hardware I received today. Shipped from Tiffin on 5/3/17. As you can see no washers in the bolt/nut package. The shouldered bolt head does not need a washer and technically the shouldered nut does not need a washer if used in a non slotted hole.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAG5540.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	160776   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG5541.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	160777  

Old 05-05-2017, 08:12 PM   #51

As I said above I received 6 packages each containing one bolt ,one nut and one large flat washer. In addition I received 6 additional large flat washers each individually packaged for a total of 12 identical flat washers. I was concerned that the drawing only showed 6 washers so I emailed Tiffin and Ben Patton replied to use all 12.
Having just changed the bolts yesterday I am glad to have all 12. Would the nut on the bottom be wide enough to not pull through? Probably. But I feel much better with a large flat washer on each side of the existing holes eliminating any possibly of the nut wearing or pulling through. I don't know what damage or weakness was created by towing with the wrong size bolts. It may be overkill but I certainly have total confidence in the hitch attachment now.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #52

Without Gussets

If gussets are the extra metal bracing I guess I have no gussets. Can someone take a look and let me know if I am right? (Can't seem to get the attachment to display right-side up )
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170509_091607A - Copy.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	302.3 KB
ID:	161203  
mnothstein01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 08:11 AM   #53

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnothstein01 View Post
If gussets are the extra metal bracing I guess I have no gussets. Can someone take a look and let me know if I am right? (Can't seem to get the attachment to display right-side up )
YES. You need the gussets. Just make sure you have the VIN # when you order the parts from Tiffin. They shipped mine to my home.
Old 05-09-2017, 08:25 AM   #54

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fpresto View Post
As I said above I received 6 packages each containing one bolt ,one nut and one large flat washer. In addition I received 6 additional large flat washers each individually packaged for a total of 12 identical flat washers. I was concerned that the drawing only showed 6 washers so I emailed Tiffin and Ben Patton replied to use all 12.
Having just changed the bolts yesterday I am glad to have all 12. Would the nut on the bottom be wide enough to not pull through? Probably. But I feel much better with a large flat washer on each side of the existing holes eliminating any possibly of the nut wearing or pulling through. I don't know what damage or weakness was created by towing with the wrong size bolts. It may be overkill but I certainly have total confidence in the hitch attachment now.
I think the difference in the parts we received is due to the length of our RVs. I saw a post on the Tiffin Network explaining the difference. All is good and what we receive is based on the VIN#. Just wanted to clear up the issue of people receiving different amount of washers.
Old 05-09-2017, 05:42 PM   #55

got my recall package today. similar to other posts - 6 packages with large bolt and nut in each and 1 package with 6 large washers. I'll have the local garage replace the bolts, when they do a oil change and lube job, before I head to Colorado. Living in North GA I'd have to make a little over a 200 mile round trip to get to a Tiffin dealer. Dave
Old 05-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywithcoop View Post
I think the difference in the parts we received is due to the length of our RVs. I saw a post on the Tiffin Network explaining the difference. All is good and what we receive is based on the VIN#. Just wanted to clear up the issue of people receiving different amount of washers.
It makes sense but what doesn't make sense is the "official" drawing only shows 6 washers. If, in fact, the length determines the number of washers required shouldn't the recall indicate that? Could they not have at least put a note or something in the box of parts saying use all 12? The only way I found out was an email to them questioning 12 washers. The reply was "use all 12" no explanations. Hypothetically I could take the package to my mechanic and tell him to use all 12 and he could refuse for liability issues saying that the official drawing only shows 6 and he must follow that.

Tags
install, recall, tiffin