RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2017, 10:13 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Receiver surround sound advice

So the Panasonic unit that came with my RV never worked. Unhooked all the wires from the speakers set up in the coach and bought a DVD player that has Netflix, Hulu, and others built in. Works just fine.

But now I would like to use the speakers, so was looking for a receiver/surround sound solution. Needs HDMI in and out of course, preferably at least 3 in and 1 or 2 out. Speaker terminals to hook the surround wiring up to. BT would be nice as well, so the DW can play her music from her phone to the system.

Any recommendations? I had a Sony receiver back when we had a house, but it was too big to fit into the enclosure in the RV.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2017, 09:09 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Our 2016 Tiffin Allegro Red 38 QRA has a nice compact LG Blue ray player...sound is good

RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:36 AM   #3

Marantz has a few lower profile models that fit in the cabinet (yours may be different than mine). You don't really need any power (watts) for the RV to sound good.

2014 Tiffin 35QBH
JeffHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 11:02 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by IFlyABus View Post
So the Panasonic unit that came with my RV never worked. Unhooked all the wires from the speakers set up in the coach and bought a DVD player that has Netflix, Hulu, and others built in. Works just fine.

But now I would like to use the speakers, so was looking for a receiver/surround sound solution. Needs HDMI in and out of course, preferably at least 3 in and 1 or 2 out. Speaker terminals to hook the surround wiring up to. BT would be nice as well, so the DW can play her music from her phone to the system.

Any recommendations? I had a Sony receiver back when we had a house, but it was too big to fit into the enclosure in the RV.

Thanks in advance for any ideas!
We have a 2006 and had the same Panasonic unit. Where do I start. The cabinet has a limited size and you have to get a unit that will fit. I don't know what the inside dimensions are on your coach but I measured mine and found that I could go to Crutchfield.com and find all the units that would fit. The Merantz 1501 was a good fit.

Here is a story of how someone else did it but it is an older story. I found that I could lower the shelf in the cabinet and get a taller unit in there. I use a Pioneer VSX1124 and love it. People come into the MH and are blown away with the quality of surround sound. I have chrome cast, BT, Sat HDMI, Pandora, Internet Radio, and more. I am a old Navy Tech and tinker with this stuff. I also put in a repeater for all the controllers I have in the bus and now I can control all units without having to stand in front of the cabinet with a remote control which I thought was really dumb.

https://www.rvtechmag.com/showcase/62_entertainment.php

Also you will have to determine how many speakers you have. If you have 2 front and 2 rear and one center speaker and a subwoofer you only need a 5.1 audio system. If you have more speakers than that you need a 7.2 audio system. No sense in buying something you don't need. I also added a car power amp to run the powered subwoofer but used the same wires that the Panasonic used. In the 2006 you can take out the speaker covers and fish a wire behind the cabinet over the entry door. The cabinet over the door has a false back and there is an inch and a half back there were you can cut a hole in you equipment bay and fish the wire all the way to the front of the coach. If you have any questions you can send me a PM and I will give you my number. I also just changed out the TV in the bedroom and saved about 30 pound of weight and gained a whole lot of storage.

Vizio E280i-A1 28in HDTV 720p

You can go to my page and find additional upgrades. Take a picture of your cabinet and let's see what you have.
billdreamlv is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice