RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2019, 09:24 AM   #1
KJR

Red 33 vs 37PA

We are trying to decide between these two 2019 floor plans.

The living room and bedrooms are a wash as they appear the same size and the cabinetry and wardrobe configuration is the same. The bedroom is reversed on the 37PA. The 37Pa excels in the kitchen with more open counter space between or around the sink and stove. The bathroom is spacious, almost too much with two sinks. There is also another pass through storage bay which may be useful.
I would imagine the increased wheel base length would be more stable?

The only advantage of the 33 is itís 3í 10Ē shorter, a little lighter and about $9600 cheaper the way we have optioned both of them. While the shorter size is attractive I canít think of too many campsites weíve been in where if a 35í fit 39í wouldnít.

The one option for the 37PA that I havenít selected is three A/Cs; 15k HP frt, 13.5k, 15k Hp rear. I donít think you can run all three on the 8k generator but can you run all three on 50 amp shore power? We can take the heat better than the cold so is this option a must?

Thanks for any advice.

KJR

KJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2019, 12:45 PM   #2

We have a 33AA. 3rd RV and will be our last. Love it.

RJEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #3

I looked at several 37PAs and payload is kind’a on the light side. This could affect full timers and is something to be aware of in any case. 33AA has considerably more payload
Old 04-24-2019, 03:57 PM   #4
KJR

The 37pa we looked at had slightly over 5000lbs looking at the load label in the wardrobe. It had the Pietre ceramic tile which seems heavy compared to the Prospective tile. 2 1/2 tons of payload seems adequate.

KJR
Old 04-24-2019, 05:13 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJR View Post
2 1/2 tons of payload seems adequate.

KJR
I agree.

However Iíve seen them with only 3300 pounds of payload and one fella sent me a copy of his weight ticket that showed that with full fuel, propane and DEF and a half tank of water, otherwise empty, he had 2800 pounds of payload left. On the other hand I saw one with over 4000 pounds of payload. Iím talking true payload here; the weight of the coach subtracted from GVWR.

I think itís reasonable to think that anyone considering 37PA pay attention to the payload of a specific coach under consideration. I suppose thatís prudent advice with any coach.

Regards
Old 04-24-2019, 06:49 PM   #6

KJR,
Have you actually looked at each of these yourself, or are you just looking at the floor plan prints. We've looked at both and the 37PA seems to have a bigger bedroom as well as a bit larger living area. Like you said, the kitchen area is larger and the bathroom is very nice.

Both coaches are great price/performers and built well. We first thought the 33AA being a big shorter, would be more convenient, but because its wheelbase is less than 50 percent of its overall lenght, I was concerned about handling. Looking thru forum comments, it seems that a number of 33AA owners did say it was a bit squirrly to handle. the length difference going down the road won't be much of a factor, as the fact that the width of both coaches is the same, and in narrow construction areas will be the same.

I would expect the 37PA to be more stable in tracking. Also many say they add the Safe T steer stabilizer to both of these models to improve handling. And yes, the extra storage bay is very worthwhile, as the 33AA basement storage is more limited. If you put a couple of gravity chairs underneath, that will take up a sizeable amount of basement space.

The comments about useful load capacity on the 37PA is true, but we figured if we were not full-timing, it would not be a problem for us.

We were full timers some time ago with a big dieselpusher and got the bug recently to get another motorhome, so we did research the REDs. We liked them a lot, but in the end, reality is that my wife will not drive it and if I'm honest with myself, I don't think I'd be too comfortable with a big coach at this point in my life. We then took a serious look at the Wayfarer and decided that was the only practical size RV for us, and have adjusted our vision of a nice, big RED or Phaeton, but think we'll end up using the Wayfarer a whole lot more.

If you're wanting a Class A dieselpusher, I think the REDS are the best value out there and well appointed.
Travelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 08:07 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
We had the same questions and the info above is pretty accurate. However we liked the floor plan in the 37PA better. The bedroom is bigger and the stacking W/D fits better in this coach. WE also LOVE the double vanity in the bath, larger kitchen, second pass through basement storage, bigger diesel, greater towing capacity, and we did add the third AC and sooooooo glad we did.

For us so worth the extra cost.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:35 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We came out of a 40' Discovery with the same engine and transmission that's in our current 33AA.
I do miss the extra pass thru bay but compensated by putting a tall truck topper on the F-150 we tow. The room in the truck bed and backseat more than make up for the loss of the one bay and it's actually easier to access than the second pass thru bay. I load up most things that normally stay outside at the RV site so the truck is basically empty while we're camping.
I also lost a bit of leg room in the driver cockpit and it's not quite as stable as the Discovery but it's not enough to be any real issue.
Yes, the bathroom is smaller but just how much time do we actually spend in it?
My prefered place is under the awning while lubricating brain cells and plotting to irritate more young folks!
I'm still glad we went with the 33AA.
JohnH12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 06:39 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We love our 37PA, plenty of room, lots of storage, 3 ACs and the generator can run them all, highly recommend it!
Old 04-25-2019, 08:57 AM   #10
KJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzucconi View Post
We love our 37PA, plenty of room, lots of storage, 3 ACs and the generator can run them all, highly recommend it!
So the 3rd A/C is recommenced option?

The one we looked at had three but with the generator running only the 15k units showed up on the Spyder panel. If we turned off one the 13k middle became available.

If on 50amp shorepower can you run the three ACs and the convection oven together?

KJR
Old 04-25-2019, 02:09 PM   #11

When we ordered our 37BA we understood that in order to get Heat Pump function out of the (2) 15K units we needed to order the (3) unit config 15K-13K-15K
For us the H/P was a must have option given our travel in shoulder seasons.
nowalnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:07 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
We have the 37BA and run all three units on 50 amp shore power with no issues. Best option we ever got because we go to the desert often.
Hey_Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 04:59 PM   #13
KJR

Weíve decided on ordering a 2019 37PA just in time for the early May cutoff date according to the dealer weíve chosen. With a proposed 3.5% price increase we didnít want to wait for the 2020 model.

We ordered with few paid options.

Amber Glazed cabinets
Central vacuum
One sliding storage tray
Fireplace
Solar prep with 4 gauge wire
3rd AC
King bed

No charge options
Brown sugar Ultraleather
Batik interior
Prospective floor tile
White Mahogany exterior

Options not desired
Washer/dryer
Computer dinette
In dash navigation
Satellite system
Winegard Connect
CB Antenna
L shaped couch

We are full timers and will move from our 25í Airstream trailer to this coach.

KJR
Old 04-27-2019, 08:07 PM   #14

KJR,

Congratulations. I didn't know you were full timers. We were when we first retired and I think you will be much happier with the 37PA than the 33AA, just my opinion, being a past full timer. I would chose the same coach if we were still full timing. A really decent bathroom, plus the shower in this model is larger than the 33AA and the shower seat would poke you in the back with the shower controls right above the shower seat.

I know you said you didn't option the washer/dryer, but as full timers, we really appreciated having it in our coach. That way when it was a single combined unit. Much nicer to have separate washer/dryer now. After you factor in whatever discount you are getting, the price isn't as bad as list. Now would be the time to consider adding that versus later.

From reading these forums, others have said the Nav indash system isn't worth it as well as the L couch not being as conveient as the standard coach. Looks like you made good choices. Best of luck to you.

Travelino is offline   Reply With Quote