Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2015, 05:06 AM   #1

Red 37 PA

I was at a show yesterday looking at the Tiffins which I have always admired an talking with a salesman from Tiffin...did not get his name...very knowledgable fellow...anyway we love this floor plan but need to tow a little over 5 thousand lbs. He blew me away when he said they would build me a RED with the 360 engine, 300 tranny and put a 10K hitch on it...that would still be considerably less than the Phaeton...anybody ever heard that before?
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2015, 05:15 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Estes View Post
I was at a show yesterday looking at the Tiffins which I have always admired an talking with a salesman from Tiffin...did not get his name...very knowledgable fellow...anyway we love this floor plan but need to tow a little over 5 thousand lbs. He blew me away when he said they would build me a RED with the 360 engine, 300 tranny and put a 10K hitch on it...that would still be considerably less than the Phaeton...anybody ever heard that before?
Yes, the Cummins 360 with Allison 3000 is an option that became available recently.

If you are located in the SE I recommend you talk to Russell Lankford at RV World of Georgia. 770-945-1720
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 05:56 AM   #3

The carrying capacity is really low with the standard transmission also. They had to increase that by offering the optional transmission. The Transmission is apparently the component that determines GCWR.
kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 07:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab449 View Post
The carrying capacity is really low with the standard transmission also. They had to increase that by offering the optional transmission. The Transmission is apparently the component that determines GCWR.
You are correct that the transmission is the limiting factor on the standard RED. This was one of the biggest drawbacks of the RED, so Tiffin now offered the larger Allison transmission as an option. I think that it will be so popular that it will eventually be standard equipment. If you ever plan to tow a full size 4x4 truck or SUV, 5000 lbs of towing capacity just isn't enough.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:17 AM   #5

In another thread here, someone posted that the "360hp/3000 tranny" option is around $8,000.00 MSRP.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #6

Just traded our 2010 34TGA for a 2015 37PA...love the floor plan! Towing an 1800 lb Ford Fiesta, with the Allison 2500... Can't even tell it's back there!
PICDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2015, 11:56 AM   #7

I am gonna get one! Cant compare the workmanship Tiffin offers...its the same floor plan as the small Alegro Bus...less the side radiator and big honkin engine...one other thing I noticed...its a ceramic tile floor in the Red...or was I dreaming?
Old 03-16-2015, 07:24 AM   #8

You are not dreaming! Porcelain tile floors in all but the bedroom :Thumb!
PICDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 11:25 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
I thought the 37 red pa was a beauty as well, and remember reading the article in Roughing It Smoothly magazine, about the engine and tran upgrade.
http://tiffinmotorhomes.com/pdfs/rou...12_Number1.pdf
Wouldn't be surprised if one of these days Tiffin will also offer it in the other Reds. Time will tell.

We love the 33aa,(35ft.) just purchased this 2015 last October.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 09:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeaceOwl View Post
I thought the 37 red pa was a beauty as well, and remember reading the article in Roughing It Smoothly magazine, about the engine and tran upgrade.
http://tiffinmotorhomes.com/pdfs/rou...12_Number1.pdf
Wouldn't be surprised if one of these days Tiffin will also offer it in the other Reds. Time will tell.

We love the 33aa,(35ft.) just purchased this 2015 last October.
PeaceOwl:
Thanks for the link. I downloaded the issue and read the excellent article and specs for the 37PA, but I failed to find any info about the power train upgrade. Please point me to a page number where info on the upgrade can be found. I did see the letter to Danny complaining about the Red being "under powered", but his answer did not address the upgrade.

FWIW, the Tiffin magazine is quite impressive IMO. Producing such a high quality magazine with that much content is no small undertaking. Hat is off to Tiffin.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 05:19 AM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
PeaceOwl:
Thanks for the link. I downloaded the issue and read the excellent article and specs for the 37PA, but I failed to find any info about the power train upgrade. Please point me to a page number where info on the upgrade can be found. I did see the letter to Danny complaining about the Red being "under powered", but his answer did not address the upgrade.

FWIW, the Tiffin magazine is quite impressive IMO. Producing such a high quality magazine with that much content is no small undertaking. Hat is off to Tiffin.
The Tiffin website with specs lags what is available. The upgrade is an approximately $8K upgrade. You could check with a dealer or check with Stephanie McCarley at Tiffin 2563568661 x2388f or current options list.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 08:29 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butte64 View Post
The Tiffin website with specs lags what is available. The upgrade is an approximately $8K upgrade. You could check with a dealer or check with Stephanie McCarley at Tiffin 2563568661 x2388f or current options list.
$8,700 MSRP. Ours starts the build next week and we plan to watch a few days of it.
granto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:32 PM   #13

Nice! Are you getting the heat pumps and 15K BTU upgrade?
Old 03-18-2015, 04:31 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Estes View Post
Nice! Are you getting the heat pumps and 15K BTU upgrade?
Yup. I think we are getting most every option and 2 more unlisted options for Solar Prep and the Trav'ler-HD prep. It's only money!
granto is offline   Reply With Quote