RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #1

Red Bay Appointments a Thing of the Past

Posted on the Tiffin Appointment website:

Welcome to Tiffin Motorhomes, Inc. on-line appointment system.

************ NOTICE AS OF JULY 1, 2013 *******************
Per the instructions of the service management team, Tiffin Motorhomes will no longer be taking appointments beginning July 1, 2013. It is their feeling that the service department will be able to address the needs of our customers more expeditiously by assisting customers on a first come, first served basis. Keep in mind, this applies to appointments that would have been scheduled October through December of 2013. All appointments that have already been made will remain in our database and will be honored. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
* An appointment does not guarantee customer will have a campground site. Campground sites are filled on a first come first served basis. We have room for dry camping until a site becomes available.

* If there are any problems contact Peggy Elliott at 256-356-8661 ext. 3206

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #2

Sounds like too many are wanting to come to Red Bay instead of having their dealer "service" them.

wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:33 PM   #3

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
Sounds like too many are wanting to come to Red Bay instead of having their dealer "service" them.
Maybe because they do the job right? Just saying.
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

An interesting strategy to deal with "too much business". I wonder if they had a lot of cancellations which caused them problems. Otherwise, I can't see how eliminating the planning and orderly nature of appointments would help them deal with high business volume.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
That would be my guess. Cancellations and "no shows" may have left them with a bunch of employees standing around on the clock with their hands in their pockets.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 03:43 PM   #6

Having been to Red Bay on several occasions, I can assure you that nobody is ever "standing around". A 100+ coach "buffer" in the campground keeps everyone busy. Most people go to RB because they are tired of their dealers inability to properly repair their coaches.

BTW, they have not been making appointments for "out of warranty" coaches for quite some time.
Old 07-02-2013, 05:27 PM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog Folks View Post
Maybe because they do the job right? Just saying.
If they had done the job right and had good quality control before the RV left the factory the first time, they wouldn't need to be so many returning to the factory.

I know there's other reasons to take the RV to the factory, I just couldn't resist. Of course the poor quality of many dealer service departments also has people making the trip.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #8

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
If they had done the job right and had good quality control before the RV left the factory the first time, they wouldn't need to be so many returning to the factory.

I know there's other reasons to take the RV to the factory, I just couldn't resist. Of course the poor quality of many dealer service departments also has people making the trip.
I agree totally. Very good point. My dad was a real advocate of "do it right the first time."
Dog Folks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 06:28 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I need weigh in here in support of Tiffin's factory QC, as well as dealer service.

Earlier this year, I went to watch our Allegro Bus 45LP being built at Red Bay. After 4 days I walked away with a huge appreciation for the complex systems integration required in today's MHs, and the QC process throughout the Tiffin plant ... it's a significant part of the total build process. Our coach was delivered to the dealer, who then spent a week adding options and checking it again, and again. We took delivery two months ago and have to admit that it was perfect - we couldn't find a single fault, with anything. Two months later, with the exception of a cooktop fault - a supplier issue, scheduled to be changed out next week (at the dealer) - that's still the case.

I thought I was a tough grader - 45 years in the aircraft and aero engine industry in engineering, supply chain and program management roles - but this has me really impressed. Admittedly, we spent as long picking the dealer (Ledford's in Greer, SC) as we did the coach manufacturer, plus the selection was not based on getting the vehicle at the lowest possible price. I believe we got a fair deal, with someone who understands our coach inside and out, plus has taken the time to satisfy our every question and concern (there were many!), and will take take of any issue we have down the road.

Yes, there are less robust designs and manufacturers, and also some dealers who are clueless (we interviewed a number of them in our purchasing process!). But there are some who make every attempt to do it right and stand behind their work. Tiffin and Ledford's get full marks from us!

NCRog is offline   Reply With Quote