Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-09-2016, 08:51 AM   #43

Barry & Pat
Glad you had a good experience with getting things fixed at Red Bay. We have been very happy with the work of the technicians there and after having to go back to our dealer 4 times to hopefully finally get our charging line fixed ( we'll see on the next trip) we think the drive to Red Bay and the wait to get in were worth it. At least we get to see the repairs done, not so at the dealer.

gatorgirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2016, 10:34 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
Trust me, as an experienced coach owner of over 30 years, I can assure you I am not a "new coach nitpicker". I did a lot of research before buying a Tiffin and am still amazed that nearly everyone I have talked with loves their Tiffin. My experience obviously was an anomoly, but the facts are the facts. This coach was a disaster! I only mentioned a few of the problems we encountered, most of which were total QC incompetence, and some were OEM installed parts that failed. I didn't spend nearly a quarter million $$$ for a product that was thrown together with no attention to quality.

In fact, after we accepted delivery (after 5 weeks of dealer repairs), I found the red QC final release card buried the the satchel. It showed that the final was never performed with a comment that read "can't check - no AC power". Bad enough that the final was never performed, but to leave the card for the customer to see is unimaginable.

I can assure you that each and every issue I noted is true, plus at least 40 more items.....from the diamond shield peeling, main slide rubbing the ceiling trim, rear camera doa, USB ports doa, cabinets installed crooked, Phaeton emblem wrinkled, tail light half full of water, washing machine doa, tankless water heater doa, and on and on and on.

My intent is not to blast Tiffin, but to hopefully make them aware that pushing them out the door at any cost is the ruination of a good company that is going the way of the American car market. All this plus a mostly incompetent dealer made for a bad experience. On the positive side, I will say that Tiffin stood behind every single failure, even after my 12 month warranty ended, and sent parts to fix all the issues I had. My problem was that I got tired of trouble shooting problems, waiting in the telephone "queue" at RB, and spending hours and days working on a new MH during and after each trip. No trip we made was pleasureable and it got to the point that I dreaded using it.
Your experiences sure don't reflect the norm. I can't imagine how your coach got out of the shop with this many defects. Further, how did all these problems get by the dealer during the pre-delivery inspection? Was there a PDI? When i bought my coach from La Mesa, a qualified technician spent 2-3 hours with us and tested every aspect of the coach. Not jut on-off switches, but the actual function of the components including water heater, stove, microwave, slides, steps, water pump, you name it, we ran it. So far, after a year, we found maybe five minor problems. Most of which were fixed at the recent rally in Sarasota. In my opinion, Bob Tiffin should give you personal attention on this one.

Old 03-09-2016, 06:30 PM   #45
dms

There was a PDI, and as I mentioned, it took the dealer 4 weeks to rectify the more than 2 dozen issues found upon delivery from RB. I was present at the initial delivery inspection and helped the tech inspect the vehicle and make the list. Too much to list here, but 4 weeks later, I took delivery. Most of the time was spent waiting for RB approval to authorize the work and then send the parts. All of this, the problems, the waiting for approval, then waiting for the parts was absurd..... especially when all of this could have been avoided with a half day of real QC in RB to begin with.

Bob Tiffin was involved finally and made an offer of a discount on another coach. My dealer, however, became greedy and pumped the price to get some of the discount leaving me with the option of spending another $20K. I said no thanks and the rest is history. No more Tiffin.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:45 PM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I can only speak from my own experience. I'm certainly not a 'nit picker'. The fact is that I had more than a few minor issues and 2 major ones that resulted in me being in Red Bay for nearly 2 weeks....2 weeks I'll never get back.
Neither my dealer or others I contacted as the issues increased were really interested in helping.
Most if not all of these problem should have been caught by reasonable QC, in most cases the problems were due to sloppy work, nothing less.
These are facts, not something made up.
In fairness as I mentioned in a previous post once my turn came at Red Bay everything was fixed by very competent and knowledgable technicians.
It just shouldn't have been necessary.

Barry and Pat, RVM114
Old 03-09-2016, 07:52 PM   #47
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Some posts have been removed for attacking. This is not appropriate & is against Community Rules.

Please stick to discussing the topic or move on.

Thanks,
Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 09:02 AM   #48
HGC

Note to Tiffin

[moderator edit] Maybe there will be a "tipping point" toward minimum industry standards governing the RV industry manufacture and QC. In addition I think that a dealer selling and servicing a specific brand RV have at least one certified tech on premises trained by the factory. In our area we have a dealer that just took on Tiffin and I asked them(in person)if they had any training in service from the factory, and they said "no". I know a lot of internal parts are used my many brands, but how they are put in place and operation vary. I can't imagine letting anyone at this dealership work on a 400k Bus. I only have a 36LA(2014). Last dealer where we bought it did more damage than good. So that is the frustration felt by many of us.
So my feeling is, if you live near RB then go to RB, but for those further away go to Connecticut Motor cars. Maybe Tiffin will have a West Coast service center soon and even Northwest. The parent company of Fleetwood bought out a dealership in Texas and is building a factory service center. Looks like they are getting the message.Until that time I will continue to work on correcting things not done correctly by the factory. I like the Coach, don't like the way it was put together.
Old 03-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #49

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Ok,how about this? All the manufacturers make perfect coaches which never ever have a problem. These manufacturers are supported by dealer networks who are well trained to fix any problem that may occur. These problems self inflicted of coarse by we...the ungrateful customer. These dealers are not money grabbing but top class business people,especially the sales people and sales managers whose word is their bond. Even the suggestion of distorting the truth or making empty promises is just unfair. Why,these people are right up there with car salespeople when it cones to honesty.
And they all lived happily ever after.

Barry and Pat, RVM114
Old 03-12-2016, 01:56 PM   #50
dms

This would be great.... the entire scenario reminds me of the US auto market in the 70's. Remember when you bought a new car and had to keep a pad and pencil in the glove box to list all the problems for several return trips to the dealer for repairs? This problem was solved when the Japanese got involved and built cars that allowed us to throw the pencil and pad away. The Japanese had superb QC which they figured out long before Detroit. If the Japanese ever built a MH for us, the US manufacturers would collapse.
Old 03-15-2016, 10:14 AM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Gotta' do it anyway

Well, it doesn't sound like fun, but I've got to get some stuff fixed. Does it matter if I arrive on a Sunday afternoon?
SBoyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 03:55 PM   #52

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBoyte View Post
Well, it doesn't sound like fun, but I've got to get some stuff fixed. Does it matter if I arrive on a Sunday afternoon?

When you arrive and check in you're given a number this dictates your place in line. From what I observed Sunday's seemed to be quite busy with arrivals,if you can make it Saturday you'll probably gain quire a few places.
If you're still in your warranty period you'll get some priority too. It also depends on what you need work on, at least cabinetry, paint and TV stuff is separate to general work in the bays. There are also express lanes which again depends on what you need doing, beware though, apparently if your work isn't completed in the express bay you're rescheduled at the back of the line....I can't swear to that but was told by numerous people.
Have fun, btw the Internet is very poor.

Barry and Pat, RVM114
Old 03-15-2016, 08:38 PM   #53

Sorry to hear your pain. I was thinking of buying a new one but when i kept reading how this is the way the industry is i decided to spend my hard earned money on other ways to spend time with my family. All involve less QC issues and more having fun. Hopefully things will get better but I doubt it since everyone has been trained to except poor quality as an industry standard. Good luck.

Tags
tiffin