Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2018, 05:39 AM   #1

Removing Roller Blinds

My solar roller blind in the window behind the driver's seat lost it's rewinding capability. I guess the spring broke. I see the two L shaped brackets that screw the valance to the wall at the bottom of each side, but what about at the top. I reached inside the valance, which is an extremely tight reach because of the space the blinds take up, and I think I felt a screw in various locations right above the roller blind. Can someone who has removed a valance in my model rig or similar, give me suggestions as to how to remove the valance, including the kind of screwdriver bit that will be needed.
Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2018, 06:51 AM   #2

Assuming you have manual shade similar to my ‘15.......

There are clips that hold the shade to the top of the valence. No need to remove the valence.

Need someone to hold the shade up, and simply unscrew the clips. Make sure you pay attention to the orientation so you can reinstall the new shade.

Clips pop right off the old shade. Figured out which way to reinsert the shade by playing with the clips on the old shade.

Screwed the clips back into the valence by hand. Make sure they are oriented correctly. I did not use a drill, as I thought it would be too easy to strip the existing holes.

Then, tilted the shade and inserted the inside groove into the clips towards the inside of the coach and then just push the shade up and into the clips on the outside groove.

I think the biggest hassle would have been if I had not gotten the new shade into all the clips (I had to do the one over the couch with 5 clips) in the inside before I pushed up the outside, and would have had to pull it down and start over

I think another / better way to reinstall the new shade would be screwing just one clip into the valence and having the others already on the shade. You only have to get the one clip popped in, then just run the others up/down the shade to where the original holes are. No chance of not getting the entire shade into the clips all at once that way.

The new shade from Tiffin was under $100 but given how they box it to ship, shipping is another $35 if I remember correctly.

Hope this helps.
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 09:06 AM   #3

I don't think my shades are the same as yours. I have 2 roller shades under the valance. Solar shade and night shade. They are not manual but rather are spring loaded. Having bothe shades inside the valance and one on top of the other, it seems to be a different application than yours. If I am mistaken, please let me know.
Old 09-24-2018, 09:35 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepar108 View Post
I don't think my shades are the same as yours. I have 2 roller shades under the valance. Solar shade and night shade. They are not manual but rather are spring loaded. Having bothe shades inside the valance and one on top of the other, it seems to be a different application than yours. If I am mistaken, please let me know.
Same ones............by manual, I mean not electric up/down. Kind of hard to see here, but this is the one I removed; the top is next to the wall in the picture, and the 2 blinds are one over the other (ignore the white rod / hook in the picture).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0C2AD880-4FB3-4251-A21E-F32E475B46BA.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	220381  
Old 09-24-2018, 02:07 PM   #5

Yep, same shades. So the "unit" comes with the two shades together? one solar and one night, one on to top of the other?
Old 09-24-2018, 02:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bepar108 View Post
Yep, same shades. So the "unit" comes with the two shades together? one solar and one night, one on to top of the other?
That is correct. Good luck!
Old 06-23-2023, 08:05 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Anybody have the Tiffin part number please? I can't find it online. The ones they have are all over $300 so I think they are powered. Mine is manual.
Adam1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 04:29 AM   #8

I have a 2021 37AP so your shades are identical to mine. The solar and night shade rolls are part of a single assembly. The assembly is held in by two clips. Grab the assembly at both ends. Using both hands simultaneously rotate the assembly towards you and down. It will be difficult. The front edge of the assembly will pop out of the front clip. The electrical connections are butt spliced so you cannot completely remove the shade without cutting the two wires. I had an assistant hold the shade while I repaired mine. Once you have the shade removed from the clips it will all make sense on how the shades are held in place. Check the screws holding the clips. Insure they are tight. Mine were not. More than one had stripped the wood.
zombiewoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 02:05 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiewoof View Post
I have a 2021 37AP so your shades are identical to mine. The solar and night shade rolls are part of a single assembly. The assembly is held in by two clips. Grab the assembly at both ends. Using both hands simultaneously rotate the assembly towards you and down. It will be difficult. The front edge of the assembly will pop out of the front clip. The electrical connections are butt spliced so you cannot completely remove the shade without cutting the two wires. I had an assistant hold the shade while I repaired mine. Once you have the shade removed from the clips it will all make sense on how the shades are held in place. Check the screws holding the clips. Insure they are tight. Mine were not. More than one had stripped the wood.
Thanks. Mine are manual not motorized. I was able to remove it but I can't find the replacement on Tiffin parts site.
Old 06-26-2023, 08:39 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Call or email Tiffin and they will give you the correct part numbers for your make and model. Be sure to include your VIN and any other relevant information if emailing.

Here's the link to the Tiffin contact page.

https://tiffinmotorhomes.com/contact-us
Old 06-26-2023, 03:50 PM   #11

If you can't get them off using the methods described above, you can remove both blinds with the bracket.

The two blinds are mounted to one bracket. Unroll both blinds and you will see the screws that can be accessed between the two rollers, but only if you unwind them. For a larger blind, such as above the driver's seat, you will need a helper. After unrolling them, roll them up manually and secure the roll with tape. It makes handling the blinds easier with less chance of damaging the blinds. Once you have removed the screws, you can then remove the defective roll, replace it and reverse the removal procedure. It helps to use a screw gun with a long bit. They are square head screws.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 07:58 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
If you can't get them off using the methods described above, you can remove both blinds with the bracket.

The two blinds are mounted to one bracket. Unroll both blinds and you will see the screws that can be accessed between the two rollers, but only if you unwind them. For a larger blind, such as above the driver's seat, you will need a helper. After unrolling them, roll them up manually and secure the roll with tape. It makes handling the blinds easier with less chance of damaging the blinds. Once you have removed the screws, you can then remove the defective roll, replace it and reverse the removal procedure. It helps to use a screw gun with a long bit. They are square head screws.
If yours are like mine, there is a two channel clamp towards the top of the valance, but the bracket with the clamp is connected to the wall. See the attached video. The clamp releases (one on left and right side) is on the window side of the clamp. Getting it out is a breeze, as gravity will help you when you open the clamp releases. Once repaired, getting it back in is a pain, as you fit the side towards the valance first and then the side at the release clamp should snap in. I actually had to work the release for mine to snap up. Kind of a bad description but I think the video will help.

AllegroD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 02:14 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Nice video

Has anyone adjusted these exact blinds for the opposite, where the blind has too much spring and races up?
shepardmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 03:41 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Correct parts?

2021 Tiffin RED 37PA
Living Room - driver side second window roller shade

Since it is always a 30-45 hold for Tiffin I emailed them.

They emailed back and said to call them. Call and was caller 9 on hold.

Is this the correct parts?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5030153_lim.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	3.3 KB
ID:	397216   Click image for larger version

Name:	5030154_lim.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	397217