RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-21-2016, 06:04 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Replace Air Bags Or Shocks?

Hello and Merry Christmas!
My recently purchased 2004 Phaeton 38GH seams to lean towards the front right corner. This lean is noticeable when setting on level ground ready to travel and also is seen after performing the auto leveling procedure with the jacks. Any ideas what is causing this? I don't think it is loading because it appears the same with the slide in or out, also I think the storage bay has slightly more weight stored on the side opposite the lean.
Thanks in advance.

Tkel757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-21-2016, 06:57 AM   #2

shock's don't support weight. When you self level the jacks, have you tried manually adding some more height to the right front jack? I'd also have the air bag checked to see it it has a leak and or needs ride height adjustment. Worst case scenario is you have a bent frame?? (I doubt that's the problem but worth having checked out)

LJowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:17 AM   #3

Agree with previous post--shocks don't affect weight distribution nor lean unless you have an air leveling system. Different issues--air bags are usually fully deflated before jacks are deployed. Both air bags and leveling jacks can and should be adjusted. Air bag height adjustment also affects 4-corner weight distribution so you need to make these adjustments with 4-corner weights in mind.
Unless damaged by road debris, double-wall air bags are usually good for the life of the avg. original owner and those who would buy it next.
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 07:43 AM   #4

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkel757 View Post
Hello and Merry Christmas!
My recently purchased 2004 Phaeton 38GH seams to lean towards the front right corner. This lean is noticeable when setting on level ground ready to travel and also is seen after performing the auto leveling procedure with the jacks. Any ideas what is causing this? I don't think it is loading because it appears the same with the slide in or out, also I think the storage bay has slightly more weight stored on the side opposite the lean.
Thanks in advance.
Check the ride height on all 4 corners. Could be the opposite corner is too high. Level valves can over inflate and make it look like the opposite corner is low.
Had that problem on a Newell one time.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 09:34 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Yes I can manually adjust the leveling jack on the front corner to bring to level. I will look into adjusting the air bag once the weather warms up some.
Thanks
Old 12-21-2016, 09:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tkel757 View Post
Yes I can manually adjust the leveling jack on the front corner to bring to level. I will look into adjusting the air bag once the weather warms up some.
Thanks
BUT""" when jacks are deployed there should be no air in the bags
so cant be a air bag issue
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:13 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If it leans both on the jacks and at normal ride height with the air bags inflated, I would suspect that the MH frame is involved. I have read on this forum about some having problems with the welds fracturing , letting the MH settle to one side. A closer inspection of the Mh frame may be warranted.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
If it leans both on the jacks and at normal ride height with the air bags inflated, I would suspect that the MH frame is involved. I have read on this forum about some having problems with the welds fracturing , letting the MH settle to one side. A closer inspection of the Mh frame may be warranted.
Note to OP, find out what the factory specs are for air bag ride height. Check that first of all.
Park on a flat fairly level surface and crawl under and measure the ride height, being aware that you don't get trapped under there. Otherwise, take it to shop and have it checked.
As far as the level being off with the auto leveler system, it may need to be re-calibrated. Read up on that in your manual.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 12-21-2016, 04:15 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
Check the ride height on all 4 corners. Could be the opposite corner is too high. Level valves can over inflate and make it look like the opposite corner is low.
Had that problem on a Newell one time.
If your FreightLiner chassis is like ours, the front levelers are controlled by only one leveler and that is on the drivers side but the rear are separate and if the left rear is off.....too high....this could push the right front down.
Does you MH tend to wander or pull to one side?
Old 12-21-2016, 05:22 PM   #10

Very right GaryK!
Old 12-22-2016, 11:16 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
I haven't noticed any wondering while driving.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
If your FreightLiner chassis is like ours, the front levelers are controlled by only one leveler and that is on the drivers side but the rear are separate and if the left rear is off.....too high....this could push the right front down.
Does you MH tend to wander or pull to one side?

BUT!!! OP says its leaning when the jacks are deployed and leveled out the air bags are empty in this position so no not rear air bags out of sync
select55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 11:38 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
BUT!!! OP says its leaning when the jacks are deployed and leveled out the air bags are empty in this position so no not rear air bags out of sync
As stated, his auto level must need calibrating. Best to fix one thing at a time. If auto level will not level, it needs calibrating.
Old 12-22-2016, 11:42 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by select55 View Post
I am inclined to agree but it's possible that the air suspension is out of spec and the auto level is also out of wack....that would be the easiest to check and reconcile....if not then I would suspect a broken weld on the MH body...

Tags
ace, replace, shocks