Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2014, 08:01 AM   #1

Replace television

Having run into several campgrounds where they have converted to digital television I need to install converters. I have 2 tvs and will need a converter for each TV since I want to control each tv independently. I have a 2003 Allegro Bay 37DB and cannot figure out how to remove the bezel on the front tv. It is made of wood and no screws, brackets, Velcro, etc. are visible. Can some tell me how to remove this bezel? All help appreciated.

Herb
herbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 08:29 AM   #2

I have a 2003 Allegro Bus, this is for the TV in the front. There are screws at the top in the cabinets on each side of the TV and look at the bottom on the inside of the TV cabinet one screw on each side at the bottom. I had to do the same thing because the original front TV was so heavy I was afraid that it would collapse the overhead structure. On the other hand I have a selector box in the right front cabinet that is used to switch between cable and antenna, if you have this option you may be able to set up the digital converters there, all the cable wiring may pass through this spot anyway. Any other thoughts out there.

Ed
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:32 AM   #3

I'm not exactly sure how your front cabinetry is set up, but open the compartment doors on either side of your front TV. See if there are 2 screws in the lower corner of each compartment facing the TV. They'll be right behind the door face frame and very hard to see unless you get your head into the compartment. If there, back each screw out about an inch or two and the TV bezel frame should pull out easily.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 12:02 PM   #4
paz

Ed and Pigman are right. There should be screws from the side cabinets into 2 wings on the bezel that extend back between the side of the TV and the walls of the TV cabinet. Those screws should be about 3" long.

If the screws you take out are shorter, they are the ones that hold the cabinets themselves together. But don't worry - the cabinets won't fall down. They are also screwed to a metal plate laminated into the ceiling.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 02:55 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you mean digital cable.. You need to re-think a bit.

Instead of trying to access the antenna cable on the back of the TV,,, Why not try to access the OTHER END of that very same cable... You know, the one connected to the multi-switch (Box of Many Buttons?)

Or if you have ye-old wall plate,, You can access it there too, with the cables down the rear tv should be the one on the right.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:15 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree with the last post: you really do not need to gain access * to the rear of the TV set. If you want to place a digital signal converter box...it goes on the "output to TV" of the switchbox, either the "Main TV out" or the "bedroom TV out". [the D.Converter does not go before the switchbox; but "after" it]. Hope this little additional info. makes it clear.

*FWIW: the tv sets weight approx. 60 lbs., require 2 people to handle and you will find the cables attached are a rat's maze and somewhat short & tight just when you would wish the installer had left more slack so that you could "see" what you are doing on the rear of the set.
62Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:34 PM   #7

Thanks

Finally got back to my problem. I must have fallen on my head for not understanding I could get to the cable at the switchbox. I really did not want to take that TV out. At least now I know how to take the bezel off. Thanks for all the inputs. I love this forum. It has always answered my questions

Herb
Old 09-04-2014, 02:00 AM   #8

Followup question. Once I install the converter will the TV still work if I am hooked up to an analog signal, or do I need to remove the converter in this case?
Old 09-04-2014, 02:44 AM   #9

All things considered it seems it would be a good time to just upgrade the TV. Equivalent size units are not that expensive and provide a much better picture. It does take a bit of creative woodworking to make some filler strips but that can be done with cloth and foam over a board to look good with minimal skill or get a good cabinet maker to do a nice new surround.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 02:57 AM   #10

Yes, most if not all converters will pass analog reception through the box. Just to make sure you won't be disappointed, the converters are designed to receive digital over the air (ATSC) channels. If you want to convert cable channels make sure the converter will work, not all will.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 10:47 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am curious what analogue signals you will be putting into your television. You asked if they would go through the box. OTA antenna is digital. Sattelite Is digital. DVD player is digital. I cannot thing of anything that might be analogue except maybe old VCR ( LOL I cannot believe I think of VCR as old)

You got some excellent advice if you can swing it replace those old Televisions is not a hard job to do and the picture will be so much nicer.

If your rig is like my 2005 allegro bus I noticed that an earlier poster had a 2003 bus. You might want to fish an HDMI cable from the multiswitch cabinet if you put in a new TV. For a small fee I might be induced to tell you the proper tool to fish that cable with and it is not a fish tape or nylon fish stick. I have several hours of research trying to fish the cable before I found the proper tool
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 11:10 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
All things considered it seems it would be a good time to just upgrade the TV. Equivalent size units are not that expensive and provide a much better picture. It does take a bit of creative woodworking to make some filler strips but that can be done with cloth and foam over a board to look good with minimal skill or get a good cabinet maker to do a nice new surround.
True but be ure you get a TV with the correct type and number of inputs and outputs. I didn't check and when I tried to add a soundbar I found that there were no connections for output. Samsung tech said nope, can't be done. I custom built the cabinet for that particular model and I really don't want to redo it. As it is my wife has to run the TV at 100% volume sometimes, me?, I just turn the bluetooth connection on and my hearing aids up! Love these new hearing aids, bluetooth to my cell phone and the TV.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 06:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
I am curious what analogue signals you will be putting into your television. You asked if they would go through the box. OTA antenna is digital...
Mostly true. However in some areas, mainly rural America, analog NTSC broadcasts are still alive and well. If no one wants the frequencies, in the VHF band, then a broadcaster can still use them. I imagine they all have some date in which they have to move, but I don't know what that is.

Changing TVs would really seem like the right solution. They are so inexpensive today and they (LED Versions) use so much less power, it would seem like a no-brainer. That is just not always the case. With all new TVs having wide screens, it's difficult in many cases to get the same vertical sized screen in the space previously used for the old almost square screens. In my own case I was able to reuse the space in the bedroom for an new TV but I had to opt for a different location for the front TV.
ImagineIF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #14

After removing the heavy monster and installing a new TV in my Allegro Bus, I discovered that the new TV's have the speakers mounted on the rear of the TV. When the TV is mounted in a cubby hole, you have a lack of sound problem. I had to buy a sound bar, as I did on my home TV. Try and find a small sound bar that will not take up the entire front of the cabinet, most are 42 inches.
Jamie65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace, television