RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Replacing Dome antenna With Winegard HD antenna on Open Road 36LA

I want to replace the dome antenna that came on my 2014 Open Road 36LA with the Winegard SK-SWM3 antenna. Is this an easy replacement or does it require additional wiring?

Any hints would be appreciated.

thanks,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-02-2015, 01:50 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I was going to do the same but I think I am going to just get a portable DirectTV dish because we are switching from cable to DTV. They also sell autotracking roof dishes but they are fairly expensive.

I can usually only pull down 2-3 channels on my antenna, one of which is spanish; don't know if HD will give more but I doubt it will. I usually just turn on my hotspot and do netflix with a chromecast (make sure you log into netflix on a browser and change your settings to low quality or one hour of streaming will use up 3-4gigs of data!). It all really depends on what you want to be watching and whether or not you want local news.

Old 01-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I replaced the KVH dome as a DIY project on our Discovery motorhone with a Winegard Trav'ler, very similar to what you are considering:

Winegard Trav'ler Installation - DIY

LOVE the difference!
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 04:09 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveIC View Post
I was going to do the same but I think I am going to just get a portable DirectTV dish because we are switching from cable to DTV. They also sell autotracking roof dishes but they are fairly expensive.

I can usually only pull down 2-3 channels on my antenna, one of which is spanish; don't know if HD will give more but I doubt it will. I usually just turn on my hotspot and do netflix with a chromecast (make sure you log into netflix on a browser and change your settings to low quality or one hour of streaming will use up 3-4gigs of data!). It all really depends on what you want to be watching and whether or not you want local news.
I'm sorry I was completely confused. When you said antenna I thought you were talking about an off-air antenna, not a dish... Please disregard my original post
Old 01-02-2015, 05:00 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I replaced my in-motion dome with the Trav'ler (DISH counter part antenna to the DIRECTV SWM). No difficult at all and used the same RG-6 cables. I did have to install my antenna controller in a different spot which required running a new cable overhead on the roof to the cabinet. Again, not difficult at all.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 05:10 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Alas, I can not answer your question but I can tell you why.

Domes and Dishes both need much the same info (The SWM's need one more data packet each way but may not need more wires) but how they get the data back and forth varies model to model and make to make. For example, the dome I have has only a coax cable connecting it to the controller, no control lines at all, no power lines, it all arrives over the RG-6 cable. No other wires needed.

Some need power (2 more wires) some need communications (Generally 4 or 6 or 8 wires) but it varies from model to model even within the same manufacturer.
Old 01-03-2015, 09:38 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kehardman View Post
I want to replace the dome antenna that came on my 2014 Open Road 36LA with the Winegard SK-SWM3 antenna. Is this an easy replacement or does it require additional wiring?

Any hints would be appreciated.

thanks,
What Lanerd said. You use the existing RG6 coax and add the data cable for the antenna control circuit. Very staight forward install.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 09:52 AM   #8

Personally if your dome is in motion I would leave it and add the Traveller as a second antenna using a A B switch to go from one to another this will require a SWM signal on the dome which will work on most domes then your receivers will see a SWM antenna from both and you won't have to change receiver settings when switching.
1mainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:10 PM   #9

You will have to add a data cable for the Travler.

I don't know the cable layout on your coach but I can tell you that the AC ducts make an excellent cable chase. The TMH cable entry point on the roof is often located directly above the ducts.
Old 01-11-2015, 11:49 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1mainiac View Post
Personally if your dome is in motion I would leave it and add the Traveller as a second antenna.
I have to ask why leave the Dome I have RVed for over 25 years and have never seen the need for an in motion set up.
I would remove the Dome & install an RF Mogul set up.
MikeCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2015, 06:39 PM   #11

I have talked to my dealer about changing from my dome antenna to the traveler and was told that the Traveler would have to be installed at the rear of the MH above the bedroom TV and couldn't be installed where the current dome is located.
Old 01-15-2015, 08:46 AM   #12

I recently removed the old direct tv dish with a new dis tv traveler. Easy, but if you attempt this, really plan and scheme before you start. My installation involved the removal of the interior sound system antenna (useless) and I used that roof entry to go straight down to the control box. It's great.
Okay, I admit it. I love to hear it start up and move around to find the satellites. :-) Does that make me a geek?
Old 01-15-2015, 08:55 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger G View Post
I have talked to my dealer about changing from my dome antenna to the traveler and was told that the Traveler would have to be installed at the rear of the MH above the bedroom TV and couldn't be installed where the current dome is located.
I checked directly with Fleetwood, and they sent me a diagram of the reinforced areas on the roof that would accept the Trav'ler.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2015, 08:30 PM   #14

I installed it where the old dish was. Piece of cake.

Tags
antenna