Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2018, 05:19 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post

Pigman1's post on recurring maintenance is spot on. Vibration and gravity will cause the media to pack down and potential clump.
Actually the current recommendation is NOT TO SHAKE extinguishers.
While that used to be the recommendation it has been changed.
Good idea to remove periodically, check the gauge or pin indicator and inspect the nozzle area for plugging.

Above is direction from USCG /USPS Vessel Safety Check manual & examiner instructions and has been changed in recent yrs.
Winemaker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2018, 05:46 AM   #16
bnb1313@aol.com

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
Good idea to remove periodically, check the gauge or pin indicator and inspect the nozzle area for plugging.

Above is direction from USCG /USPS Vessel Safety Check manual & examiner instructions and has been changed in recent yrs.
Good to know, thanks Don.
BigSkyBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:01 AM   #17

If anyone has never used a fire extinguisher it's a good idea to practice. Some fire depts have old units they can give out for practice sessions.
Another recommendation is to print P A S S on the extinguisher with a sharpie.
P Pull pin (to release the handle or trigger)
A Aim ( at base of the flames)
S Squeeze handle
S Sweep (side to side)

Practice helps and the PASS serves as a quick reminder.
Nobody has time to read instructions when you have a fire.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:08 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post

I don't know why that recommendation is in there, but I've been at a fire where the extinguisher did not work when the handle was squeezed. I turned it upside down and beat it on the car that was burning, turned it upright and then it worked. Perhaps the Coast Guard knows something about boats that's different in other vehicles, but since I've been agitating my extinguishers, mine work just fine. I used mine a few years ago on the Bus when an oil soaked rag dropped onto the exhaust pipe and I had 3' flames inside and outside the rear cap. The choice is yours, but vibrations in an RV do pack the powder. Just remove one that has been in place a long while and invert it. The powder can be felt to be stuck at the bottom until it's agitated.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigman1 View Post
I don't know why that recommendation is in there, but I've been at a fire where the extinguisher did not work when the handle was squeezed. I turned it upside down and beat it on the car that was burning, turned it upright and then it worked. Perhaps the Coast Guard knows something about boats that's different in other vehicles, but since I've been agitating my extinguishers, mine work just fine. I used mine a few years ago on the Bus when an oil soaked rag dropped onto the exhaust pipe and I had 3' flames inside and outside the rear cap. The choice is yours, but vibrations in an RV do pack the powder. Just remove one that has been in place a long while and invert it. The powder can be felt to be stuck at the bottom until it's agitated.
Hate to say it but Winemaker2 is correct at least concerning the USCG. No idea what the Postal Service does. Working for the USCG, but not with the vessel safety people, so searching out an instruction or directive is pretty easy.

COMDTINST M16796.8A (October 2014) Vessel Safety Check Manual, Chapter 3.B.5.k.(3) states -
"Testing dry chemical extinguishers by holding the fire extinguisher inverted and solidly hitting the base of the extinguisher with the palm of the hand several times is no longer an acceptable practice, possibly resulting in clogging the discharge tube. Additionally, the use of flowing and anti-caking agents has eliminated the problem with caked powder, eliminating the need to rotate the fire extinguisher to feel the powder flowing."

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...Pe2zrsTP2xB2HN

I guess I've been on shore duty too long and out of circulation. I'm sure the Damage Controlmen told us to give the dry chemical PKP bottle a good shake before activating the CO2 cartridge to break up any potentially caked medium in the bottle.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:59 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just like a belt. Thrre is a buckle or other fastener

Suggestion Get ahold of Mac THe Fire Guy (Google works) he has some dang good extinguishers he recommends. .I'd make suggestions but frankly. He's who I learn from.
Old 05-19-2018, 04:50 AM   #21

Sweetbriar
That's the manual / section I am familiar with. I'm guessing that 2014 update was about when it changed.
I do know there are some extinguishers that are USCG approved but have no idea what is different about them. I can't believe the chemicals would be different ???
Old 05-29-2018, 07:24 PM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Just some G whiz. I bought a second extinguisher and mounted it in the rear of the coach for extra safety. Mine is mounted all the way up front by the door and could be difficult to get to if I am in the rear.
Dfreiberger is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fire