Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2010, 06:34 AM   #29

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'll do some checking to be sure but I think the Amana ARB1922FES will run on a modified sinewave inverter.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:54 AM   #30

Our coach has a Heart 2000 watt MSW inverter and it has run everything we need including the GE Profile without issue for almost 10 years.
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2010, 04:53 AM   #31

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
I'll do some checking to be sure but I think the Amana ARB1922FES will run on a modified sinewave inverter.
Sorry it took so long, I was working on my honey-dew list. The Amana will run on a modified sinewave.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 08:48 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Adams View Post
Our coach has a Heart 2000 watt MSW inverter and it has run everything we need including the GE Profile without issue for almost 10 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzer View Post
The residential fridges always get 3,000 watt inverters rather than 2,000. Otherwise you could pop breakers or whatever if you ran the microwave, fridge, etc all at the same time.

My Amana requires a pure sine wave inverter. That's mainly due to the electronics in the in-the-door water and ice dispenser. However, Tiffin now uses the GE residential fridge with the larger freezer drawer on the bottom which "supposedly" will run on a modified sine wave inverter.

Personally I don't like modified sine wave inverters. As long as you need to go larger anyway I'd recommend pure sinewave.
An electric motor will not run very differently on MSW vs Sine

Electronics in digital TVs, satellite DVRs etc. run fine on MSW inverters.

The MSW inverter is pretty close to sine wave and these electronic devices were built rather robust to handle normal sine wave power varying between 90 to 120 volts (there is a LOT more power problems from brown outs on the grid than would be expected from a minor approximation of MSW inverter)

I know some people prefer a true sine wave, but this seems like a personal desire not a requirement. I think people are focusing on secondary factors as an issue when primary issues like poor power off the grid are well tolerated.

If the RR only draws a 100 watts. This can not be that much more (maybe less) than a Norcold draws when running on electricity. It might be nice to have 3000 instead of 2000 watt inverter, but I do not think this should be viewed as a requirement for someone on a budget especially since people have had success with 2000 watt MSW inverters running RR.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2010, 10:15 AM   #33

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Someone ask "What's changed" Several things:

First Motor homes have grown.. 10 years ago a 35'er was large, Today they have 'em over 40' long (Which at one time was the maximum vehicle length) and with 4 slides or a full wall slide you can end up with as much floor space, parked, as I had in my house before I moved to the Damon and hit the road. (or close to it)

Second is the fact that both Dometic and Norcold have issued Recalls, and while I know little about the Norcold one, the Dometic is due to a fire hazard.

Finally, my comments.. Typical Residential compressor units are large, and can work in conditions that would drive a absorption unit bonkers (Arizonia in August for example) but.. They suck power like crazy, Well over 100 watts running (that's 10 amps at 12 volts) and as much as a thousand to start the compressor. That's a lot of electricity

The dometic high efficency dual (12/120 volt) system I linked to above uses perhaps 40 watts running and 100 starting. It is a compressor unit, so it's far easier on the batteries and has all the advantages of the residential save.. It's not as large.
Old 03-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Finally, my comments.. Typical Residential compressor units are large, and can work in conditions that would drive a absorption unit bonkers (Arizonia in August for example) but.. They suck power like crazy, Well over 100 watts running (that's 10 amps at 12 volts) and as much as a thousand to start the compressor. That's a lot of electricity

The dometic high efficency dual (12/120 volt) system I linked to above uses perhaps 40 watts running and 100 starting. It is a compressor unit, so it's far easier on the batteries and has all the advantages of the residential save.. It's not as large.
Even if a RR sucks more power, a 2000 watt inverter should be able to handle it and the tvs etc.

The microwave could be a problem but could be handled by running the microwave at 50% power instead of 100% power when running off the batteries. I doubt people use the microwave that much when on batteries anyway so running at 50% power when on batteries would not be a big sacrifice compared to cost of up grading to a 3000 watt inverter so they could have a RR.
Grey is offline   Reply With Quote