Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2018, 08:22 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Residential refrigerator not getting cold

We own a 2014 SA. After the first year, we noticed the refrigerator was not getting cold. The freezer was fine. Someone suggested we needed to replace a fan. Before we did that, it started working. We are about to take our second trip and noticed the refrigerator and freezer is barely getting cold. I turned the refrigerator off at the control and turned it back on. It doesn't sound like it is turning on. It's a Whirlpool model WRT3595YM00. VERY Frustrating!!![emoji35]
boggsak is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2018, 09:00 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by boggsak View Post
We own a 2014 SA. After the first year, we noticed the refrigerator was not getting cold. The freezer was fine. Someone suggested we needed to replace a fan. Before we did that, it started working. We are about to take our second trip and noticed the refrigerator and freezer is barely getting cold. I turned the refrigerator off at the control and turned it back on. It doesn't sound like it is turning on. It's a Whirlpool model WRT3595YM00. VERY Frustrating!!![emoji35]
Have you checked the power? The temp settings? Have you checked the inverter output?
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:14 AM   #3

Residential refrigerators should have their coils vacuumed at least once a year. I suggest vacuuming the coils first.
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:19 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
Have you checked the power? The temp settings? Have you checked the inverter output?
Bill
We bought a refrigerator thermometer. After 24 hours of being plugged in, the temperature was 47 degrees. If we have AC power, would the status of the inverter matter? I turned the temperature setting to a higher setting. I'll check in a couple of hours.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:03 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Since you can turn off Whirlpool refrigerators via the front panel and still have lights, I suggest you start with the basics. Check the breakers in the main breaker box, check the breakers on the inverter, check the voltage at the outlet for the frig, vacuum the coils, and then turn it on. Make sure you set the thermostats for 38 in the frig, 0 in the freezer.

Do you hear the compressor/fans running? If they are running and you are not getting cooling, time to call Whirlpool and get a service man to look at it.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:39 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Since you can turn off Whirlpool refrigerators via the front panel and still have lights, I suggest you start with the basics. Check the breakers in the main breaker box, check the breakers on the inverter, check the voltage at the outlet for the frig, vacuum the coils, and then turn it on. Make sure you set the thermostats for 38 in the frig, 0 in the freezer.

Do you hear the compressor/fans running? If they are running and you are not getting cooling, time to call Whirlpool and get a service man to look at it.
I can hear the fan running. I'm getting cool air not cold air. This model doesn't have a temperature thermostat. It displays stars from 1 to 5. I purchased a refrigerator thermometer and it is reading 42 degrees. Also, the ice maker stopped making ice. I think it may be the thermostat. Until I get someone to look at, I buy ice and we will a big cooler.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:21 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Does your unit have a defrost cycle? Some are on timers and if the timer goes bad it continues to heat.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:07 PM   #8

I have a similar Maytag unit (built by Whirlpool) in my coach. The problem your having is caused by the ice maker not working. There is a circulating fan in the ice maker unit that must run for the refrigerator to cool down properly. The ice maker needs to be rebuilt or replaced.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:12 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
Does your unit have a defrost cycle? Some are on timers and if the timer goes bad it continues to heat.
It's a frost free freezer. Does that mean it has a defrost cycle?
Old 06-25-2018, 01:14 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lllkrob View Post
I have a similar Maytag unit (built by Whirlpool) in my coach. The problem your having is caused by the ice maker not working. There is a circulating fan in the ice maker unit that must run for the refrigerator to cool down properly. The ice maker needs to be rebuilt or replaced.
Even if I have the icemaker off?
Old 06-25-2018, 04:30 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
Google your problem. Sounds like Post 8 had some experience with that too.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:10 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Well I’ve heard everybody talking about different things and you’ve told him that is getting cool but not cold I think the compressor is going out I had two different Maytag‘s and both of them, compressor went out we lost food because of it . Our coach was a 2014 the Maytag went out after 13 months then again at three years.
Old 06-25-2018, 01:55 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
It's a frost free freezer. Does that mean it has a defrost cycle?
If it’s a frost free, it has a heater.
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 04:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Even if I have the icemaker off?
YES

Tags
refrigerator, residential refrigerator