Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2017, 12:25 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Rock guard or hula skirt for Allegro gasser?

I am wondering if there is a Tiffin branded rock guard or hula skirt for the Allegro gasser?

I pull a toad and want to get something to protect the car. BlueOx has the KarGard II for my alpha tow bar, but it's pretty expensive.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a rock guard to use on the Allegro? It's tail clearance is pretty high, so a rock guard or hula skirt might not even be that effective.

Thanks!
jenglish92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
I think most folks find that the so-called 'rock guard' turns out to be a rock flinger. It tends to channel air to help fling the gravel up into your toad instead of creating a barrier to rocks. Flaps behind the rear wheels will deflect rocks tossed up by the rear tires, I'm not convinced the rock guard or hula style skirts will provide all that much protection.

You could fabricate your own KarGuard type barrier, using PVC pipe and plastic screen for much less than the ones for sale.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 12:56 PM   #3

Neither. Take a look at something like "Protect a Tow". It will do a much better job of protecting your toad.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 01:25 PM   #4

Look for Ultraguard - mud, stone etc. mh guard. Available at most rv camping supply stores. I've used one for several years and see lots of mh's at various campgrounds using them. Dave
Old 01-04-2017, 01:55 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Second vote for Protect-a-Tow. I've pulled my Jeep for 20K miles including the Baja and it's done the job nicely - no dings.

Protect-a-Tow
Old 01-04-2017, 02:57 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all the feedback!
jenglish92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:04 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I've had the karguard II for a couple of years. I think it is well worth the extra money, especially when I see people struggling while putting other contraptions on, and see them trying to store them.

The karguard goes on and off in one minute....quick and easy, and I have no chips in the paint on the toad. When not in use, it rolls up and sits on the Blue Ox frame. When turning, the struts keep it from binding. Installation was very easy.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 03:31 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
There's another way to approach this. No matter what you try to use it's either cumbersome or marginally effective. Go to invisiblemask.com. They carry a 3M custom fit protective coating. I just ordered it for mz
Sjg1277 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:40 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
We have a 2016 Allegro Red 38 QRA towing a jeep liberty . We use the Roadmaster tow defender along with the Roadmaster Guardian rock shield...Our coach has a mud flap but i still want to protect our 2004 Jeep Liberty.
RodneyLadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:56 AM   #10

We bought one at Red Bay store for our Allegro 31A. It has the Allegro name on it. It has to have holes drilled in to the frame because our model did not have them pre drilled but we found a tech at Red Bay that installed it for us after hours. You could probably order one from the store. Some of the Tiffin coaches have the holes pre drilled but ours did not.Only took about 30 minutes to put it on.
gatorgirl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:28 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjg1277 View Post
There's another way to approach this. No matter what you try to use it's either cumbersome or marginally effective. Go to invisiblemask.com. They carry a 3M custom fit protective coating. I just ordered it for mz
When that 'mask' gets nicked and dirty looking, how much does it cost to remove it? Check for posts on here about removing one from the front of a Class A. Better buy stock in Goo Gone.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 03:09 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have had MHs with and without a rock guard. I have had far less flat towed dinghy rock dings and paint chips with the rock guard. Highly recommend you purchase a rock guard.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gas