Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2017, 03:49 PM   #1

running propane heaters while driving?

This is the first time I've headed out when temps were below 40 overnight, and we left out at 6:30 am. Inside our coach was a balmy 35 degrees. The dash heat did little to keep us warm on our 7 hour drive to our destination. Could we have run our propane heater while driving?

Because if we could have, I'm going to do a BIG . I froze, even going so far as to have put an extra pair of socks on and getting a blanket out to wrap around myself while DH tried to stay warm on our 7 hour drive.

Next time we head out this early in the year, I'd like to know I can be warm!

Thank you!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2017, 03:59 PM   #2

KZ RV Club
We've always run it while driving on cold mornings if the coach hasn't been pre-heated..

The alternator more than produces enough electricity to power the fan. The propane has a high flow shut off in case of accident. The fridge in ours works off the gas while on the road too.

But, shut furnace, fridge, hot water off before fueling.

2022 KZ 272FK
GumpAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:10 PM   #3

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GumpAir View Post
We've always run it while driving on cold mornings if the coach hasn't been pre-heated..

The alternator more than produces enough electricity to power the fan. The propane has a high flow shut off in case of accident. The fridge in ours works off the gas while on the road too.

But, shut furnace, fridge, hot water off before fueling.
Hmmmm
HMMMMMM....
I forgot to shut down the propane furnace on our former coach... drove for a few hours then stopped for a break....had MASSIVE scorch & soot on outside of coach down wind (to the rear) of the furnace exhaust vent..... no more doing that!
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:16 PM   #4

Cannot see a reason not to run the furnace. That is what it is designed for.

I would have run it the night before to start out warm. It takes a lot of heat to get the inside up to temperature. Less to keep it there. I'd probably run the furnace and an electric heater while getting warm then drop back to one or the other. Given that the dash heat might have been enough when driving. If not then add the furnace. You have to heat it up sooner or later and sooner is a lot more comfortable. ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:21 PM   #5

KZ RV Club
Wow!

Never heard of that problem before. No mention of not running while driving in the manuals, and the tech who does my maintenance says no prob when I asked. (I use mine for work in the winter on the Idaho/Nevada border, and drive I-80 all the way across with it running.)

Guess it'd be the same as running furnace or fridge on a windy day.

2022 KZ 272FK
GumpAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 04:38 PM   #6

Foretravel Owners Club
I think that part of the issue was a very strong quartering head wind was sucking the burner flame out the exhaust vent.
With our present coach, it has the diesel fired Aqua Hot so no issues as the engine /coach hot water dash heat system is tied into the Aquahot as well, just have to set the thermostadt fans to the temp we want.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:07 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Why not run an electric heater from the inverter or crank up the generator if needed. Head south much sooner while starting to get cool!

burfurd
Old 03-24-2017, 05:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfurd View Post
Why not run an electric heater from the inverter or crank up the generator if needed. Head south much sooner while starting to get cool!

burfurd
The mistake was not heating up the unit the night before. It takes a lot more heat than an electric heater can put out to warm up the mass in the motor home. The furnace probably can do it with enough time. That was why I said I would use both the night before. Speed things up.

FWIW there is another issue in how well the unit is winterized. We keep vent pillows in and reflectix sandwiched between the shade and glass on windows we don't care about using.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlesore View Post
I think that part of the issue was a very strong quartering head wind was sucking the burner flame out the exhaust vent.
With our present coach, it has the diesel fired Aqua Hot so no issues as the engine /coach hot water dash heat system is tied into the Aquahot as well, just have to set the thermostadt fans to the temp we want.

Might have had 'sooting' due to air/fuel ratio being disturbed (fuel rich flame)
BUT if flame was pulled out then furnace would have shut down due to loss of flame proving.........electrode has to be engulfed in flame and REMAIN engulfed in flame or flame ionization signal will be lost---circuit board then shuts down gas valve

Only real issue with operating furnace would be if registers or air return would be blocked (slides retracted/items blocking)...lack of airflow could cause heat exchanger to overheat.
BUT High temp limit switch would OPEN shutting down furnace.
Heat exchanger cools down....furnace would refire....overheat/shut down....repeat until thermostat set point satisfied
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by burfurd View Post

burfurd
Running a 1500 watt heater on the inverter would work out to over 125 amp draw, at 12 volts. The alternator can only do so much.

You may arrive with dead batteries.

The gas furnace or running the generator with a couple of electric heaters will work.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:41 PM   #11

other than turning propane and engine off when refueling it can run just like when your stopped. Dave
Old 03-24-2017, 05:47 PM   #12

Here are few thoughts: 1--I have run propane furnace for years without issue; 2--electric space heater[s] put too much load on inverter and engine alternator--so bad idea; 3--run generator and heat pumps if temps permit, or run space heaters; 4--hang curtain behind driver and pass seats to keep cab area warmer; 5--set dash heat on "max cool" setting with heat set to max--this recircus inside air thru dash heater vs trying to heat outside air.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 06:30 PM   #13

Thank you ALLLLLL!!!! We usually head out in warmer temps (above 55). I didn't even think of heating it beforehand (overnight).

And now I know we could have run it that morning while going down the road...

Don't tell DH (I was too chicken to run it)

I'll just look really smart if we ever do this again

Tags
heat, heater, propane