RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2017, 02:02 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
RV and CB Which channel

My new to me '16 Allegro 32SA comes prewired for CB. I'm looking at the Cobra all in one but was wondering what channel most RVers utilize? I use 19 for trucker info but don't care for the profanity laced conversations. Will be heading out in a couple of weeks and would like to stay in touch with other RVers on the road.
Any suggestions would be greatly apppreciated.

rrtribble is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2017, 02:11 PM   #2

RV'ers use channel 13. Well, that's what everybody tells me. But come h___ or high water, I've yet to talk with anyone on it, and I know I get out when I'm on. It's to bad that channel 19 has turned into a pile of s___. The world is ever changing, isn't it.

spsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 10:22 PM   #3

I have a 2018, where is the CB coax antenna cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
My new to me '16 Allegro 32SA comes prewired for CB. I'm looking at the Cobra all in one but was wondering what channel most RVers utilize? I use 19 for trucker info but don't care for the profanity laced conversations. Will be heading out in a couple of weeks and would like to stay in touch with other RVers on the road.
Any suggestions would be greatly apppreciated.
They say the antenna coax is coiled and tied up under the dash on the left side, but I do not see anything that looks like a coax and there is only one antenna on the passenger side on the Roof. Did you install the CB or was the radio there when you bought it?
Mbe111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:58 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
It was probably an option on your coach and it doesn't sound like you have one. The antenna you see on the roof is probably the FM radio antenna.
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:06 AM   #5

Correct me if I'm wrong, Ch 9 and 19 are emergency or do I have that wrong? Ch 16 is for trucker chat, ch 13 likewise for RV'er chat. Wrong again?

Just two weeks ago, we were on I-5 south heading home from Oregon. A tractor pulling doubles loaded with huge bags of onions zipped by us. The last two pallets of onions on the rear trailer were leaning to starboard-looked to us like he was going to loose the load on the next left hander. I tried to raise anybody on CH 16, no answers. On an uphill grade, we passed the onion hauler and I again tried Ch16, no takers. He made it into Redding intact.

Was I using the wrong channel when trying to raise the truck driver?
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:28 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you have only one antenna, you are not prewired for a CB. That's not the end of the world since, even if you are prewired, you will have to replace the CB antenna. What Tiffin puts there for a CB antenna is kind of like a placeholder - you see it, it doesn't work. You will never be able to set the SWR with the stock antenna.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:44 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzbill View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, Ch 9 and 19 are emergency or do I have that wrong? Ch 16 is for trucker chat, ch 13 likewise for RV'er chat. Wrong again?

Just two weeks ago, we were on I-5 south heading home from Oregon. A tractor pulling doubles loaded with huge bags of onions zipped by us. The last two pallets of onions on the rear trailer were leaning to starboard-looked to us like he was going to loose the load on the next left hander. I tried to raise anybody on CH 16, no answers. On an uphill grade, we passed the onion hauler and I again tried Ch16, no takers. He made it into Redding intact.

Was I using the wrong channel when trying to raise the truck driver?
I5 N/S on the West coast is ch17. E/W in routes in Oregon at least are ch19.
bdpreece is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 10:17 AM   #8

There are no emergency cb channels anymore. Channel 19 is your only chance of communicating. Channel 19 is the main trucker channel so if you get someone on 19 and wish to have a lengthy talk ( chew the fat ) then move to any other channel. I am a trucker and will not have a cb in the rv. To many ignorant, immature and racist truckers around. I dont need to hear that crap while on vacation. Cbs had there day.
Old 10-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Haven't put one in yet. Don't want to spend the money if not going to use it. My dealer told me it was under the dash on the driver's side and I would have to add the antenna to the port on the roof. Haven't climbed up yet.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:12 PM   #10

Breaker 1-9 this here's the little Flyswatter.
Anybody got your ears on? Come back.

LOL
I miss the CB days!
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2017, 02:45 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
The Cobra all in one is a great radio if you decide to install one. I'm on my third motor home with the same radio and have the same model in my Jeep. I will monitor Channel 19 if there is a traffic stoppage just to find out how far it goes. Other than that, we use it a lot when traveling with our friends usually on channel 39 or 13.
'12 Jeep JK Wrangler Sport or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 12:49 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for all the info. Though I've used CB in the past think I will pass for now. Tiffin Cus Svc just informed me that my unit was not prewired but I do have a handheld unit that I may carry.

Enjoy the road and the day
Old 10-30-2017, 01:27 PM   #13

"East Bound and Down" -the good old days! I have the Uniden Bearcat 980SSB CB, mounted on a Genos no drill center mount and no drill Antenna mount. Works very well. Traveling with friends with CB's is the ticket. Last week in North California, no cell service, but we could communicate and very clear. The Bearcat has scan for all channels, including SSB, (Single Side Band). When on scan, you can find active channels fast. The rated output on CB is 5 watts and 12 watts output on SSB. With a good antenna, you have about 5 miles easy, and 12-20 miles on SSB, depending on terrain. Also the radio has all weather channels that I use when traveling. I can usually raise someone in an emergency on SSB with AM skip, but don't rely on it. About $150.00 for everything.
Hey Vern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 01:43 PM   #14
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I have a Cobra CB in my MH and I rarely use it. CBs had their day, and it has passed. New technology today is far more effective. I have traffic alerts on my GPS. Other hwy info on my IPad.
Channel 13 was supposed to be the channel for RVers and it was a good idea. However there are not that many RVers interested in chatting on air. So no one is ever there. Plus CB range is so short it's ineffective.