Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-14-2015, 12:28 PM   #99
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can look at different makes and models from different angles and see the thickness of the pad would be one way. It would not help with checking for glazing conditions.

While providing maintenance for Ryder Truck Rentals for 27 years as different models came into service you could buy templates from Kent-Moore Company that you put in different spots depending on model and it would measure the thickness of the pads using the Go No Go method.

They sold the templates for many makes and models of disc brakes I guess only dealerships bought them. Sorry I can't find a picture of them maybe they no longer make since then?
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2015, 12:00 PM   #100

Thanks for the help but I think the pads or the rotors made need to be scuffed up or rotors turned. Thought maybe rotors had rust on them because camper sat in winter weather before purchase. I will be taking it to Bob Bell Ford Tuesday to have them rechecked. I'm not looking for a free ride on this just want to be safe when riding down the road. We have had a lot of things replaced or repaired on this model and this is the last thing after this I will be one Happy camper and no more complaining.
Thank you everyone.
John
grizz427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:25 PM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by grizz427 View Post
Thanks for the help but I think the pads or the rotors made need to be scuffed up or rotors turned. Thought maybe rotors had rust on them because camper sat in winter weather before purchase. I will be taking it to Bob Bell Ford Tuesday to have them rechecked. I'm not looking for a free ride on this just want to be safe when riding down the road. We have had a lot of things replaced or repaired on this model and this is the last thing after this I will be one Happy camper and no more complaining.
Thank you everyone.
John
Rotors are cast iron, and rust almost instantaneously when they get wet. Wash your car, and don't move it, and the rust will be forming in less than 10 minutes. And as soon as you apply the brakes (somewhat hard) a couple times you get a clean surface. If they get wet, and sit the pad may stick to the surface of the rotor and when you try to move the vehicle it may feel like the parking brake is on, then you'll hear the pad pop free. If you don't brake hard, you may initially see rusty lines around the rotors until you have used the brakes a few times.

Maybe you have some other issues, but in general, rotors rust when they get wet, and sit with no ill effects (hope that it is that simple for you).

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #102

Done at last

Picked up from Bob Bell Ford and brakes are now in working order. Seems strange the first dealer couldn't find anything wrong with them, but the second dealer did find problems with them. they pulled the rotors and turned them as well as scuffed up the pads camper stops very well now. I guess this will be the last of the Sad Story. my camper is complete and no complaints any more. Thanks for all your help.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:22 PM   #103
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds good, thank you for the update.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #104

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
MH has been at Al Packer Ford now going on 5 weeks now and it is still not serviced. When I dropped it off they said 3 to 4 weeks to complete. At this rate I'll be spending my winter in Baltimore in stead of Florida
Quote:
We were camping up in Michigan for a couple weeks not long ago. When we notice a sound out side the bedroom window that sounded as though a cat was there. My wife asked me if I had seen one of our two cats in fear she had gotten out some how. So we searched the camper and all we could find was the lazy fat one not the shinny one[sisters they are] so we went out side and searched the campground till 2:00am but couldn't find her anywhere. Came back in with the thought she may come home on her own. Were just sitting in bed and we hear this faint meow once more still can't find her. The sound goes on for about an hour. After giving up once more. Decide to get her jammies out opens the drawer surprise here's Sweetie sitting on top of my wife's clothes. she had gotten clothes out of the dirty clothing hamper and sweetie mush have jumped in. Made her way to the drawer with clothing she new and went to sleep there.
I just saw your post about your Cat up in Michigan that got lost while you were camped and this was posted on 12/3/2014 just wondering was your coach not sitting at the Ford Dealer around that time?
Tractor16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:32 PM   #105

No we misplaced the cat back when we where there in late summer. As a matter of fact we left Michigan and headed to Tiffin repair center before coming home as they were closer for the repair
Old 01-28-2015, 10:27 AM   #106

Quote:
Picked up from Bob Bell Ford and brakes are now in working order. Seems strange the first dealer couldn't find anything wrong with them, but the second dealer did find problems with them. they pulled the rotors and turned them as well as scuffed up the pads camper stops very well now. I guess this will be the last of the Sad Story. my camper is complete and no complaints any more. Thanks for all your help.

Hummm, turning rotors and sanding pads won't cure any check brake, etc., type warning lights... Did you get to the bottom of that one grizz?
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2015, 07:20 AM   #107

They checked for the warning lights in dash but the computer didn't hold any data from them coming on. I was told that it was a miss fire from computer as we only had the lights come on three times in 12,515 miles and they couldn't make it repeat it once more. It has been recorded in our records with Ford should this problem arise in the future.
Old 02-07-2015, 01:11 PM   #108

I keep hearing about all the bad things about people's coaches and not just Tiffins. Sure, some stuff won't be perfect. In your long list of "problems" aren't there many small ones you can fix yourself?

One thing that bothers me is that manufacturers are putting more and more electronic gadgets in these things to attract buyers. Electronic gremlins are hard to track down. I wish these were simpler.
jpstakun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 03:47 PM   #109

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpstakun View Post
I keep hearing about all the bad things about people's coaches and not just Tiffins. Sure, some stuff won't be perfect. In your long list of "problems" aren't there many small ones you can fix yourself?

One thing that bothers me is that manufacturers are putting more and more electronic gadgets in these things to attract buyers. Electronic gremlins are hard to track down. I wish these were simpler.

Unfortunately simpler won't sell to any but a few who know just what they want. The entire world is doing fancier electronics which are not repairable, just replaceable.

People wanted computers onboard so manufacturers installed computers with crt monitors. Now those coaches have a great hole in the dash and a useless antique computer to be removed. Sure it would have been better to not have the computer at the time, but it sold quite a few motorhomes when it was installed. and so it goes.
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:14 PM   #110

You are so Wright

I think it's the toys that sell these campers now. Saw one on Facebook yesterday that had a side porch on it came out of living room through sliding glass door to a walk way under the awning on the passenger side. Granted it was on a tag axle unit but DW wanted to know can we get one. That would be a NO.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:25 PM   #111

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I think it's the toys that sell these campers now. Saw one on Facebook yesterday that had a side porch on it came out of living room through sliding glass door to a walk way under the awning on the passenger side. Granted it was on a tag axle unit but DW wanted to know can we get one. That would be a NO.
That was probably a pre collapse Monaco patio unit. I actually was able to tour one and watch the side go up and down. The glass rails became high wall windows when the patio was raised. Great living space when the weather is fine, not so great in bad weather as you give up the passenger side slideout room! Also it added about 3000 pounds more than an equivalent slideout for the mechanism and structure. I have no idea how many they ever sold before they went bankrupt in 2008.
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 01:39 PM   #112
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Isn't that similar to Country Coach's Veranda? You can get one real cheap now!