Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-06-2013, 06:44 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Satellite TV

I have a 2013 Allegro 34 RED with the Winegard Mission dome. Cabinet in bedroom has what appears to be wiring for a receiver. Im considering DISH to get the HD channels. Any experience out there with the DISH 211 single or 722 dual receivers? It would be my preference to watch two different channels at the same time in the coach, so I am leaning to the dual channel receiver as opposed to two single channel ones.

Also, does anyone have the wiring schematic of how Tiffin wired the tv'S?
I found the HDMI splitters.

I'll be a listening...

Thanks in advance.
jhaig99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-06-2013, 06:59 PM   #2
Cat

I went with the winegard trav'ler. See all three of Dishes satelites at the same time. So no delay going from channel to channel its like watching cable. One button to push and raises itself up and locks on to satelite- takes 3-5 minutes then you start watching tv. No checking switches or signal strength. Easy easy. Have had it for 18 months no problems none. Great system. Would spend the money again and I am cheap I mean frugal. They also make a trav'ler for Direct Tv that works with their satelites. They are different satelites. Dish has been good when we get somewhere and are going to stay for a week or more you call them and they will turn on the local channels for no cost. Really good system
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:17 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I just purchased a Phaeton which came with an in motion Winegard Antenna and DirecTv receiver. Junked the DirecTv (long story) and bought a Dish 211z receiver. The technician from the RV center put it in. He showed me an extra set of cables that allowed for another receiver that, I believe he said, went directly to the TV in the bedroom and not thru the splitter (would be a 2nd HDMI selection on the back of the TV). Next to the Receiver, one compartment over, was the HDMI splitter to move the signal around to the TVs in the motorhome. We had two problems. The HDMI cable to the TV in the bedroom from the splitter was bad. Fixed that. The other problem was an inability to get the antenna to acquire. He called the Winegard factory and was told to hook up another non in-motion antenna first to acquire, then go back to the in-motion antenna. Worked fine. Has worked since then. Have had problems using the IR extender cable. Can't find a placement on the Dish receiver for the bead that actually works. But HD all the way.
JerryGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 07:37 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Tiffin TVs are wired as follows: Input 1 - Cable/OTA, Input 2 (HDMI)- BluRay player, Input 3(HDMI) Sat receiver. You select what to watch via the INPUT function on the TV.

I think the 13s are wired the same as the 14s with everything coming to the cabinet in the bedroom. You will find your Sat coax cables (2) and OTA/Cable coax (1). I'm not sure if a HTS (home theater system) was standard or an option on your model.

The antenna remote and signal amp are in a cabinet above the passenger or drivers side.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 06:30 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks all. I'll be going with Dish soon. Still wondering if it is better for a dual channel reciever or would two single channel receivers be better.
jhaig99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaig99 View Post
Thanks all. I'll be going with Dish soon. Still wondering if it is better for a dual channel reciever or would two single channel receivers be better.
Dual channel will allow you to watch one show while the other is recording but the in motion antenna will not allow that to happen. Two singles will work except you have to have both recievers on a channel that is on the same sattelite. If you change channels in the reciever controlling the sattelite to a channel on a different sattelite then you will lose your program on the second reciever. I agree totally with the earlier poster. The traveller antenna is the only way to go. The dish version supports three tv-s which means you can hook up to a dual channel reciver and watch one channel while the other one is recording something else. You can then hook up a single channel reciever in the bedroom and watch something different .
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:40 AM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaig99 View Post
Any experience out there with the DISH 211 single or 722 dual receivers? It would be my preference to watch two different channels at the same time in the coach, so I am leaning to the dual channel receiver as opposed to two single channel ones.
I have the Wingard Mission InMotion also, and have installed two Dish 211 receivers. I must advise that you read the manual and web site for the Wingard InMotion VERY CAREFULLY... I believe that they are exercising the limits of false advertising when they claim that their dish can operate two independent rooms... they CANNOT.

In my system, the living room TV is set up as the "primary" TV with the Winegard, which means that the wiring for that connection communicates both ways to the Winegard. That is, it can tell the Wingard that it needs to reposition itself to point to a different satellite, and it will work. Then the signal is sent to the receiver for your viewing pleasure. So far, so good...

My bedroom TV is the "secondary" one as far as Winegard is concerned. It has its own COAX connecting to the Winegard, but this secondary channel is said to not be able to "toggle" on the Wingard instructions and web site . In plain english, that means that it is a one-way communication... it cannot tell the Wingard to move towards another satellite. So.. if your front TV happens to have already pointed the dish to a particular satellite, then the back TV can get whatever channels are broadcast FROM THAT SATELLITE. Dish gets channels from at least 3 different satellites, so while it is possible (in theory.. more on that soon) to watch two different programs in the two different rooms, the secondary TV is limited to channels that are available on whatever satellite the primary TV is using. In my book, that is not two independent systems. But it's close.

Now my particular difficulty... my secondary TV won't work at all. I have worked with both Dish and Winegard customer service and concluded that I've done everything that is possible, it just doesn't work. I have scheduled warranty service to troubleshoot the problem. I suspect it's either a defective Winegard or a wiring issue, as others on this forum have been successful at getting Dish to do what I describe above. Since I'm within my 1 year warranty on the coach, I hope to solve this problem soon!

I do love having the satellite. The Winegard In-Motion wouldn't be my first choice, but it came on the new RV so I'm working with it. If I were to order one myself, I'd probably opt for the (much more expensive) roof-top dish that you have to extend once you are set up at cam. Those can fully service two (or maybe even 3) completely independent receivers. They are larger, so I don't think they have to move around like the little in-motion ones do. They are not "in-motion" systems (you can't run them while traveling down the road) but that wouldn't matter much to me. My kids?? They would disagree with me! I guess you balance the good and the bad...
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:49 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The sattelitd dish you are talking about is a winegard traveller. The dish version of that is cheaper by about 400.00 than the directv version. I had problems with my in motion and since I did not like it anyway and it was only 6 months old I started raising a fit about wanting a new traveller instead. The traveller was on sale and actually they cost the same so I just paid the installation fee of about 400 dollars to change them. Was money well spent. Your coach is set up like my allegro bus with the sattelite cable running to the front and the other one running to the bedroom . Mine worked like it was supposed to and I had both recievers working but it did not lock on to the sattelite correctly if at all.

If you go to the traveller have them run a third cable to the front reciever area this will allow you to do what i advised earlier and get a double channel reciever in the front.

The kids might miss the in motion but they can still watch DV's when you are driving.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:55 AM   #9

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Overland Owners Club
It should be possible to at least narrow down the problem a little bit. Some easy coax swaps will narrow down where to look.

Keep in mind you won't be the first or last person to get a new coach with wiring problems.

Contact me trough my website. I'll be happy to help you troubleshoot the problem.

Sincerely,
Don Sweger
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:30 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Ho: Wow, I'm impressed with the complicated answers. The simple answer is: You can't have two independent HD receivers on a dome type dish. The reason is simply that the dome has to move the antenna to change satellites and can only point at one satellite at a time. However, if you are ok with using only one satellite at both receivers it can work. The real solution is the Winegard Trav'ler which sees all the satellites all the time, but it is not a dome antenna.

As to whether to use a dual receiver or two receivers: The dual receivers that I am acquainted with do not provide HD for the second channel. The exception is the Hopper/Joey that provides complete functionality for all remotes including DVR. Since only the Hopper has all the receivers/disk drive etc. only a simple coax is required to connect the two. So, if I wanted an independent full HD TV in the bedroom (which I don't) I would persue that approach. The problem is that you will be bouncing a DVR type receiver down the road. Be sure to at least get insurance.
dirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 11:32 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
It should be possible to at least narrow down the problem a little bit. Some easy coax swaps will narrow down where to look.

Keep in mind you won't be the first or last person to get a new coach with wiring problems.

Contact me trough my website. I'll be happy to help you troubleshoot the problem.

Sincerely,
Don Sweger
Thanks for the offer of assistance Don! I'm scheduled for some warranty work after Thanksgiving, and my Wingard is on the list. If they can't fix the problem, I'll contact you!!
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 09:39 AM   #12

i buy a 2006 allegro bus and i need help to do the setting in my satellite i have a dish network service
reynaldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 02:00 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirko View Post
Hi Ho: Wow, I'm impressed with the complicated answers. The simple answer is: You can't have two independent HD receivers on a dome type dish. The reason is simply that the dome has to move the antenna to change satellites and can only point at one satellite at a time. However, if you are ok with using only one satellite at both receivers it can work. The real solution is the Winegard Trav'ler which sees all the satellites all the time, but it is not a dome antenna.

As to whether to use a dual receiver or two receivers: The dual receivers that I am acquainted with do not provide HD for the second channel. The exception is the Hopper/Joey that provides complete functionality for all remotes including DVR. Since only the Hopper has all the receivers/disk drive etc. only a simple coax is required to connect the two. So, if I wanted an independent full HD TV in the bedroom (which I don't) I would persue that approach. The problem is that you will be bouncing a DVR type receiver down the road. Be sure to at least get insurance.
I may be wrong but I do not believe the hopper/joey will work with the dome satellite. I believe you have to have a wingard traveler to use a hopper receiver. The issue with the dvr receiver bouncing around is one that I think is not that big a problem. One cure would be to turn off the power to the hopper while you are travelling. The other cure would be to not worry about it.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:31 PM   #14

A few things to remember when considering the hopper. Two coax (rg6) (Although it can be wired with one) run from the dish to a separate module (solo node). Hi freq coax (65 -3000 mhz) is then run to the hopper. This coax must have a wide bandwidth to carry both data and video. Communications between the hopper and the node takes place continually. Another coax is run (preferably regular rg6 but can actually be rg75) from the node to the Joey. The hopper has 6 tuners so your choice of programming is wide open. The Joey is not a tuner...all channel selections or dvr selections occur in the hopper. The system will support multiple joeys. Also you need to buy an external module to tune OTA channels (and allow recording). A network connection enhances options available within the hopper.

Bottom line, IMHO the dish hopper system is the way to go even if it requires a non dome dish.

P.S. I also have a second dish 500 antenna on a tripod for those locations a roof top antenna cannot get a clear sight of the 101,119 and 129 birds. I use two A/B switches to choose roof top or external dish.

The only down side is some local channel HD programing in the east is located on the eastern arc birds. These are at 67.5, 72.7 and 77. For these birds you need a dish 1000.2 antenna.

I found a great document to use@ rvseniormoments.files.WordPress.com/2013/12/12_dish_twotvs_hopper_joey_hdhd_dual_rg6.pdf

Have fun.

John
Old Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
satellite, satellite tv