RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2017, 09:24 AM   #1

Seat belts on 2017 Allegro 36UA

Looking at this unit. The tag shows 4 seat belts. Does that include the driver and co-pilot? This unit sleeps minimum of 8. Is it possible there are only seats belts for 4 or 6 people?

Would be a deal breaker.

Thanks,Click image for larger version

Name:	Allegro weight sticker.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	206.9 KB
ID:	163279

WorldCat25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2017, 10:08 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I had Tiffin add seatbbelts to my Phaeton's booth dinette for child seats. Had them installed during the build. I added my own seat belts to my previous coach (36 LA) for grandchildren.

curtsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 12:47 PM   #3

This topic comes up frequently and I respond frequently so we'll do this one more time.

My background... I'm a retired registered safety engineer and started the child passenger safety program in Delaware. That program used a multi day, nationally approved curriculum. to teach police, fire, health care and other personnel the elements of vehicle safety including car seats, seat belts and vehicle crash worthlessness as applied to people inside cars SUVs and other vehicles.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards are what controls the placement, testing, use, and modifications to vehicle restraint systems. As far as RV's are concerned, there are NO standards for vehicle restraints aft of the front two seats in ANY RV. No standard, No testing, so how restraints work in the rear of an RV CANNOT BE TESTED TO SEE THAT THEY WORK. Yes, some manufacturers include belts, but it is not just the belt. It's the seat structure that holds you up if belted in that seat, and what you will hit when your head and shoulders whip forward and down on to that very hard table. In a crash most seat structures will collapse causing additional injuries as well as positioning you for more serious injury from the table and structure on the far side of the table.

Each passenger restraint is much more than just a belt. It is the seat position relative to other injury causing structure, the strength of the seat and cushion you sit on, the strength of the floor supporting the seat's high downward loads, and the structure the seat belts are fastened into. How is the floor for structural strength and how is it fastened to the RV frame? How is the seat belt fastened to the floor OF THE SLIDE and how will the slide behave in a 12G crash delivered to the RV frame.

Needless to say manufacturers do not test how our RV's behave in a crash, and they cannot test because there are no Federal standards to test to. In addition, running multiple complete large Class A's down a track into a multi-ton concrete block at the end will cause your RV cost to approach the cost of a commercial jet plane.

That's the bad news. The better news is that the average RV runs very few miles a year. This means exposure to crashes is vastly lower than a car. Furthermore, you are well above the plane of the crash if one should occur, so you are more liable to rise above the object you hit or that hits you. Your G loading is way decreased over those seen in a car crash. Finally, the average driver of large RV's is older, more cautious and less likely to speed and behave erratically. Any seat belt in an RV will definitely help to keep you from flying around in the event of a crash, but you don't know how much it will also contribute to your injuries.

Some manufacturers are somewhat better than others if and when they furnish belts, but the whole effort is a bit of a crud shoot. No standard, no testing. No one really knows how they will perform.

What this all means is that "You are on your own". Until RV crashes, deaths and serious injuries increase and there's more blood on the issue, little or nothing will be done about passenger restraint aft of the two front seats. Sorry I can't be more helpful, but those are the RV facts of life.

The full thread this post was taken from can be found at http://www.tiffinrvnetwork.com/forum...?f=118&t=88577
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
allegro