RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2012, 02:20 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Second Satellite Dish coaxial cable location

I just switched to Dishnetwork. I purchased a 922 reciever which can control two televisions. This reciever has to have two sattelite antenna inputs. I checked on my Winegard and it has two inputs going into the roof. One black and one gray. I looked behind the entertainment panel and found only a black coax for the sattelite connection. I traced this cable over to the area above the drivers seat but never found the gray coax. I know it is going into the roof but cannot find where it comes out. Does anyone know where they store that cable ?

gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2012, 04:54 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I guess you did look on the top and seen the Grey wire did it go in the same hole on top if so then it's in the coach some ware, what is in that area where the cables are coming down to the inside need to find where they pass through the roof it might be that the Grey is stubbed out and needs the rest of the cable added to it

Old 11-01-2012, 08:48 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightriderrv View Post
I guess you did look on the top and seen the Grey wire did it go in the same hole on top if so then it's in the coach some ware, what is in that area where the cables are coming down to the inside need to find where they pass through the roof it might be that the Grey is stubbed out and needs the rest of the cable added to it

I think you might be right the only problem is I can trace the main cable to the cabinet above the drivers window. I am not sure how to get into the back of that cabinet. I dont want to start ripping things out if that is not where it is coming down. I was hoping someone might have experience in that area and tell me
Old 11-01-2012, 09:10 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Is there any chance it's behind the wall plate in the wall and needs to be fished out if it was a factory install it might or should be in there they should have run it all the way if the sat came from the factory just a thought
Old 11-03-2012, 07:21 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Which model coach do you have? You might have one cable that is routed to the bedroom TV, one to the front TV. Do you have a second electronics cabinet in the rear or mid-coach? Check those spots are well as look for the A/B switch on the cable which might give you a hint as to where things are being run.

I have an Allegro Open Road and the coax from the antenna is routed to two locations - is routes up front to the A/B switch (which routes it back to the bedroom) and the other lead comes directly into the bedroom. With the A/B switch in the right position, you will get signal on the second bedroom coax. I use a Dish Hopper/Joey system that requires two inputs as well.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #6

my open road has one to the front and one to the back. When the tech hooked up my 222k he put a splitter on the coax and went to both inputs on the receiver. It seems to work fine
sugarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:03 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
Are you sure it requires 2 inputs? I have the 722 I wire it the same in mh as they wired it in the house . It has one cable to it that is split with a duplexer. I use one of the other outputs on sat to run a 3 rd tv .
Old 11-16-2012, 10:10 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
sattelite dish learning challenges

Actually like a lot of other things I thought I knew I am not sure of anything.
I spoke to someone in Dish Rv Support ( If you have dish and have questions insist on being sent to RV support they actually understand what a Winegard dome is) The girl I was speaking to when we were working on my 922 reciever set up told me to just take a diplexer and connect the two outputs from the dish to the coax going down to my coach then the 922 came with a duplexer and hook that up to the coax input and the other two inputs to the receiver. I did that on my portable take out dish. ( beats climbing a ladder during the testing/learning phase. It did not work. I hooked both leads out of the portable to my receiver and that worked well. I am going to work today in the testing/learning phase some more. I did notice when I got my diplexer from radio shack they had two models one for hooking sattelite dishes to antenna and one for hooking two antennas together. The one for hooking two antennas together had a notation that it passed dc through. I bought the one without the notation assuming that since it was for sattelite dishes it would pass dc. It might not that is what I am going to look at today. If the second coaxfrom the mounted dish goes through the roof and back to the bedroom that is not going to help a lot. I need both inputs to the one reciever. One of the advantages of having the 922 is that it takes RF inputs so I can use the RF remote back in the bedroom to change channels for that reciever. It is a beautiful day today. I am splitting the nice weather between completely changine the organization of my shop around and then working on the dish problem. Depending on what I find out i will post on here
Old 11-16-2012, 10:16 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Which model coach do you have? You might have one cable that is routed to the bedroom TV, one to the front TV. Do you have a second electronics cabinet in the rear or mid-coach? Check those spots are well as look for the A/B switch on the cable which might give you a hint as to where things are being run.

I have an Allegro Open Road and the coax from the antenna is routed to two locations - is routes up front to the A/B switch (which routes it back to the bedroom) and the other lead comes directly into the bedroom. With the A/B switch in the right position, you will get signal on the second bedroom coax. I use a Dish Hopper/Joey system that requires two inputs as well.
Actually I am encountering a lot of things that do not make sense to me. I am learning though. I am about to the point where I am going to put a 50 ohm terminator on the line then look at all the cables with a ohm meter. I did find that the coax cable in the front storage compartment of the bus goes to a splitter behind one of the wood panels in a cabinet. That coax is labeled 3rd tv but I am not sure which feed it uses. I am going to rewire that for sure and take the coax into the electronics panel for access. The underneath storage where the cable is available is supposed to be for a 3rd tv when you sit outside of your camper I believe. I find that it is the perfect place to hook up my portable dish if I need to use it at the front end of the camper instead of the back end where the cable and tripod inputs are. Since I am retired and not able to play with multi million dollar electronic systems any more it is fun to figure this out. When I get it worked out I will have learned a lot more about how the bus is wired for tv and can hopefully make that knowledge available.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini5362 View Post
Actually I am encountering a lot of things that do not make sense to me. I am learning though. I am about to the point where I am going to put a 50 ohm terminator on the line then look at all the cables with a ohm meter. I did find that the coax cable in the front storage compartment of the bus goes to a splitter behind one of the wood panels in a cabinet. That coax is labeled 3rd tv but I am not sure which feed it uses. I am going to rewire that for sure and take the coax into the electronics panel for access. The underneath storage where the cable is available is supposed to be for a 3rd tv when you sit outside of your camper I believe. I find that it is the perfect place to hook up my portable dish if I need to use it at the front end of the camper instead of the back end where the cable and tripod inputs are. Since I am retired and not able to play with multi million dollar electronic systems any more it is fun to figure this out. When I get it worked out I will have learned a lot more about how the bus is wired for tv and can hopefully make that knowledge available.
My outside cable goes to the rear tv cabinet. the coax in the wet bay goes to the front and I never use the cable in a cg so I hooked it to an A B switch and use it for the tripod to the receiver.
sugarbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:05 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I finally got smart and bought a small device that is made for finding coax lines. You plug a colored connector into the line on one end and you plug the line you are checking on the other end. It tells you if you have the right line and if it is good. On my 2005 bus the two lines from the roof sattelite dish go to the front entertainment cabinet and to the back tv. The coax from the entertainment selector( tv input 1 and 2 etc) goes to a splitter one end out of the splitter goes to the back tv and the other end goes down to the front passenger cargo bay for the outside tv. The splitter is behind the surround sound speaker grille above the passenger side of the front window. I am going to run another coax to the entertainment cabinet and have a third tv connector available there. If you want to run more cables from this cabinet to anywhere around the front tv good luck I ran a spare coax there, two HDMI cables a usb cable and an ethernet cat 5 cable. I figured while I was running them might as well put everything.
all of the cables run through a very small opening between the cabinets over the front window and the perpendicular cabinet over the front door. I do mean small opening also. A friend of mine and I spent 4 hours trying to run the first HDMI cable he finally had to go home. I got the bright idea of trying a HDMI cable with a fractionally smaller head and got it through. I used a lot of things to try and fish the cables through that bulkeahd opening. The thing that worked the best was a piece of heavy duty line trimmer line from my walk behind push string trimmer. It had a little bit of curve to it that allowed me to push it through the opening and have it find the way to the other side.

Tags
dish, satellite