RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-08-2019, 07:11 PM   #1

Selling My Tiffin

Just sold my 2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road. After doing a lot of research to determine a "reasonable price" to list our coach, I listed it on RV Trader, RVT, TRVN Classifieds and local Craigslist. I thought I had listed at a price that would, at least, bring interest and was prepared to negotiate. It appears that I underestimated, the effects of our mileage (44,500) on interest in the coach. We were offered wholesale or less on a trade, and ended up selling for about wholesale.

For those interested in selling a coach, here are some statistics based on our experience.

RV Trader: ~800 hits, 4 contacts
RVT ~500 hits, 0 contacts
TRVN ~800 hits, 0 contacts
Craigslist ~ 50 hits, 0 contacts

Contacts do not include brokers, and other people who wanted to "help" me sell the coach.

Cost of advertising: RV Trader $79, RVT $200, Craigslist and TRVN $0. Based on my one experience, do not waste your money on RVT.

Just some thoughts on the process. FWIW.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-09-2019, 05:00 AM   #2

thanks, for the real world info. Dave

allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:56 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by B52Rnav View Post
Just sold my 2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road. After doing a lot of research to determine a "reasonable price" to list our coach, I listed it on RV Trader, RVT, TRVN Classifieds and local Craigslist. I thought I had listed at a price that would, at least, bring interest and was prepared to negotiate. It appears that I underestimated, the effects of our mileage (44,500) on interest in the coach. We were offered wholesale or less on a trade, and ended up selling for about wholesale.

For those interested in selling a coach, here are some statistics based on our experience.

RV Trader: ~800 hits, 4 contacts
RVT ~500 hits, 0 contacts
TRVN ~800 hits, 0 contacts
Craigslist ~ 50 hits, 0 contacts

Contacts do not include brokers, and other people who wanted to "help" me sell the coach.

Cost of advertising: RV Trader $79, RVT $200, Craigslist and TRVN $0. Based on my one experience, do not waste your money on RVT.

Just some thoughts on the process. FWIW.
Thanks for the information.

2014 Jeep Wrangler
rschopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 09:29 PM   #4

How long was your coach listed for sale? Did it have new tires and batteries? Did you have a maintenance record with all your invoices? Did anyone smoke in the coach or have pets?
Old 05-12-2019, 08:32 AM   #5

Would you mind sharing your actual numbers including what you paid for it new? That doesn’t really seem like high mileage to me
Old 05-12-2019, 03:32 PM   #6

Rig was on market for 9 weeks. Advertised as: single owner, no pets no smoking. I have complete maintenance records but did not advertise that. One contact did ask. I did advertise new tires on front. I was prepared to replace rear tires and batteries as part of negotiations. In retrospect, it might have been better to replace tires and batteries. One contact wanted to offer same price as 2012. Had anticipated having rig on market for another 4-6 weeks, but new rig is available 6 weeks early. First contact seemed interested, was not concerned with mileage, but never had a follow up. We ended selling to a dealer at much better price than we were offered on trade. Initial trade offers we're at about 76% of average retail. One dealer offered almost retail, but only discounted new coach by about15%. We got good deal on new coach, and can live with sell of old coach. YMMV. You have to be aware that dealers adjust new coach price and trade value to their advantage. If you have the time, you can use that info to your advantage.
B52Rnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 03:08 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thanks for posting and sharing. Unfortunately, most people think that if you are selling a used coach, that should be able to steel it from you. Since you were buying a new coach, and the trade-in value of your coach should have saved you on sales tax, it is really tough to beat what the dealership offers (both in price and convenience). You at least gave it a good shot.

Did you consider posting it on Ebay?
pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:03 PM   #8

We had our 2014 Breeze for sale for a couple months. I did have two couples come to see it with one couple driving it. Both of them had motorhomes that they had to sell. Nothing happened with either couple.

Meanwhile, we had been looking around at some dealerships. We really loved our Breeze and, because of their excellent service and parts programs, we wanted another Tiffin. My wife wanted a washer and dryer, which was not available in the Breeze. We didn't want to buy a coach much longer than our Breeze and we were looking at Tiffin Red's in their shorter sizes.

I happened to be at a dealership that had a Red 34QFA come in that very day. I drove it, liked it, and we began negotiating a trade. The Red was a 2013 and they agreed to install a new set of tires as well as completely go through the coach to see if there were any issues. The Breeze needed a new set of tires so, in my mind, I added the cost of those tires to the trade in value they gave me. After going back and forth a few times, I decided I could live with their trade in price. Not sure I would have gotten much more had I been able to sell it retail. Plus I only paid sales tax on the difference. The coach is a cream puff with only 32K miles and had been stored inside when not being used. For us, trading worked out well as I felt the dealer was very fair. Also, they were great to deal with which made the choice even easier.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerhofer View Post
We had our 2014 Breeze for sale for a couple months. I did have two couples come to see it with one couple driving it. Both of them had motorhomes that they had to sell. Nothing happened with either couple.

Meanwhile, we had been looking around at some dealerships. We really loved our Breeze and, because of their excellent service and parts programs, we wanted another Tiffin. My wife wanted a washer and dryer, which was not available in the Breeze. We didn't want to buy a coach much longer than our Breeze and we were looking at Tiffin Red's in their shorter sizes.

I happened to be at a dealership that had a Red 34QFA come in that very day. I drove it, liked it, and we began negotiating a trade. The Red was a 2013 and they agreed to install a new set of tires as well as completely go through the coach to see if there were any issues. The Breeze needed a new set of tires so, in my mind, I added the cost of those tires to the trade in value they gave me. After going back and forth a few times, I decided I could live with their trade in price. Not sure I would have gotten much more had I been able to sell it retail. Plus I only paid sales tax on the difference. The coach is a cream puff with only 32K miles and had been stored inside when not being used. For us, trading worked out well as I felt the dealer was very fair. Also, they were great to deal with which made the choice even easier.
WELCOME to iRV2.com and congrats on your recent upgrade. FWIW, it is not against the rules IF you want to include the name of the dealer.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 03:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete5016 View Post
Thanks for posting and sharing. Unfortunately, most people think that if you are selling a used coach, that should be able to steel it from you. Since you were buying a new coach, and the trade-in value of your coach should have saved you on sales tax, it is really tough to beat what the dealership offers (both in price and convenience). You at least gave it a good shot.

Did you consider posting it on Ebay?
Depends on where you plan to register it for savings on sales tax. In Virginia, you pay tax on the whole purchase price. Trade in is not counted.
BYoshida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 08:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
WELCOME to iRV2.com and congrats on your recent upgrade. FWIW, it is not against the rules IF you want to include the name of the dealer.
The dealer was Bob Leford's Adventure Homes in Greer, SC. John Ferrell was our sales guy. They had this home on consignment. Some items were not in the home but they rounded them up from the previous owners. We live about two hours north of Greer. John was delivering a fifth wheel north of us and met me at an I-85 exit to give me the parts. Saved me a bunch of time. He has been selling Tiffin's for twenty years. Great guy with lots of knowledge about Tiffin.
jerhofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 09:33 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Thanks so much for this info. We're getting ready to list ours and this helps a lot. Much appreciated!!
Old 07-07-2019, 06:08 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have sold 3 DP's and the benchmark I use, based on this experience, is find the NADA low retail and use about 3-4% below that as a true selling price. If you can get more...grab it! Kinda sad to see them bringing that low of a price, but that's the real world, it seems.

My last one I sold was over $300k, so a buyer of that bus would likely need financing, so most people would prefer going through a dealer. There is also an "implicit" warm, fuzzy feeling some have about buying from a dealer. An individual seller cannot offer that.

I advertised on all those sites and also had very few "hits". But my friend had better luck with his big King Aire...found a guy from out of state with all cash...sold in a heartbeat! But that experience is pretty rare, of course.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 03:01 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
I have sold 3 DP's and the benchmark I use, based on this experience, is find the NADA low retail and use about 3-4% below that as a true selling price. If you can get more...grab it! Kinda sad to see them bringing that low of a price, but that's the real world, it seems.

My last one I sold was over $300k, so a buyer of that bus would likely need financing, so most people would prefer going through a dealer. There is also an "implicit" warm, fuzzy feeling some have about buying from a dealer. An individual seller cannot offer that.

I advertised on all those sites and also had very few "hits". But my friend had better luck with his big King Aire...found a guy from out of state with all cash...sold in a heartbeat! But that experience is pretty rare, of course.
I agree. When I bought a used Tiffin last year, I looked at many dealers and many different rigs. I negotiated deals on 5 different models, and nearly every dealership negotiated to a price just below NADA Low Retail (except for one...that was LAZYDAYS, and they were higher than anyone else). Another dealership was $15k less than NADA Low Retail. YMMV!

pete5016 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sell, tiffin