Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Motorhomes Owners Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2014, 12:36 AM   #1

Serpentine belt broke...

Question.....
While parking my MH at the campground today the throttle seemed like it was stuck at 1500 rpms.... Then it went to normal... Next thing I noticed the temp gauge going up so I turned the engine off... Went to the back to check the engine compartment and noticed the coolant overflowing and broken serpentine belt on the ground.... Has this happened to anyone else? Can the belt be changed from under the bus? What would cause the belt to break? 13000 miles on the engine...

Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 01:28 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
13,000 miles is way to early for a belt to break. I can only think of three causes for premature failure. (1) The engine overheating (2) a rock or other foreign object got wedged in the belt causing it to tear and break. (3) A belt guide or other item caused the belt to get off track, tangling and getting caught in the fan or other parts of the engine.

The belt can be replaced where the bus stands. Some are easy others are not.

Old 02-28-2014, 06:10 AM   #3

Also need to check that the tensioner is in place and applying the correct tension. Also make sure driven items like the alternator haven't got seized bearings
Old 02-28-2014, 08:48 AM   #4

Ok thanks... I'll be checking for any bearings that may have seized...
The new belt will be here in the morning and my help will arrive tonight!
Old 02-28-2014, 09:02 AM   #5

Carolina Campers
At least it did not break when driving down the freeway, on a Friday night, in poring rain (like me)....

A serpentine belt can break at the worst of times. If you have a reputable mechanic they will let you watch the install, and/or take the time to show you how to install one.

IMHO you should always carry an extra serpentine belt with you and know how to put it on in an emergency.
Old 02-28-2014, 09:27 AM   #6

Alternator is seized... Try to find one now....

Thanks
Old 02-28-2014, 09:31 AM   #7
laj

that's what my idler pulley did. now I carry spare belt and idler pulley bearing rebuild kit. can do both in under 30 min.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:01 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tedgard01 View Post
At least it did not break when driving down the freeway, on a Friday night, in poring rain (like me)....

A serpentine belt can break at the worst of times. If you have a reputable mechanic they will let you watch the install, and/or take the time to show you how to install one.
IMHO you should always carry an extra serpentine belt with you and know how to put it on in an emergency.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Lee View Post
Also need to check that the tensioner is in place and applying the correct tension. Also make sure driven items like the alternator haven't got seized bearings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
13,000 miles is way to early for a belt to break. I can only think of three causes for premature failure. (1) The engine overheating (2) a rock or other foreign object got wedged in the belt causing it to tear and break. (3) A belt guide or other item caused the belt to get off track, tangling and getting caught in the fan or other parts of the engine.

The belt can be replaced where the bus stands. Some are easy others are not.
X2 on all three. And I agree Carry a spare belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriley1 View Post
Thanks
Sad the Alt. died, but glad you found the cause.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #9

Had to order one... $365 plus $60 overnight fees!
Still in warranty but no one will come out to fix it...
All of the service companies insist on towing it.
I'm not a big fan of having it towed, so I'm going to replace it myself, and get FL to reimburse me!

Thanks

New belts will be here tomorrow and alternator will be in Monday...
Old 06-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jriley1 View Post

Thanks
The alternator on my 2006 phaeton QSH seized after winter storage.
What a job getting it and the belt replaced!!!!
Had to find the 2 hatches under the carpeting in the bedroom.
For the hatch in the closet, I had to cut 1" off the dividing wall between the closet and washer/dryer compartment.
WOW!!!
Old 06-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #11

Apart from getting the routing of the sepentine belt correct, the main trick to getting it on is to use a foot-long 1/2" square drive handle engaged in the matching recess on the tensioner to move the tensioner pulley enough to slip the belt over the last pulley.
Sometimes takes two if you have a rear radiator - one underneath and one from the top (lying just about on top of the engine)