Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #15

I have heard of a few cases where the odor from a vent pipe has gotten back into the coach through the hole cut in the roof, (inside the vent cap).

If the vent pipe is short, (and/or and the hole cut through the roof, around the pipe, is not sealed/caulked), negative air pressure in the coach can draw the odor down into the wall cavity that hides the vent pipe.

That is not a common manufacturing defect but it can/may be where sewer odor is getting into the RV.

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Cool Sewer smell

When I was at Tiffin last week they replaced the AC return vent in the bath ceiling with one like in the AC discharge in the coach ceiling. This vent can be closed where the return vents are always open. I am hoping this will help. DW and I have a trip planned soon. I'll keep yall posted.

BTW, my AC is ducted into the roof. One side front to back is discharge. The other side front to back is return. The return just happens to be on the bath side. So what get pulled into the return gets cooled and redistributed through the entire coach.

I believe my solution will be to keep the AC return in the bath closed off (or better yet sealed) when the gravity toilet is flushed.
jhaig99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:22 PM   #17

FYI I have found an odor a couple of times after dumping my black tank. I traced this to the bathroom sink which dumps into the black tank. Seems that when I open the 3" valve to dump the tank, with only a 1 1/2' vent pipe, that the vacum created by the exiting stuff sucked the water out of the sink P-trap. I just run a little water into the sink after dumping to stop the smell. Not a solution but it works. This could also happen in the grey tank if the vent is not clear and will pull water out of the shower or kitchen sink P-trap. Jim
Old 11-20-2013, 06:11 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
I solved my problem with "Happy Camper" black tank treatment. Really works.
jhaig99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #19

Interesting JimandWanda, I would think the bathroom sink would dump into the gray water waste tank, it's worth looking into, it may be a mistake from the factory.
Firemandave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:12 AM   #20

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselcoach View Post
I have the same problem in our 2010 Phaeton. I have been calling the factory to try and figure my problem out. Tiffin told me to check the vents on the roof, take sealant off and check the pipe to see if it has separated. I also changed all of the air admittance valves. I am also going to check the tops of the tanks. When I open my wet bay door I get a very strong sewer smell. We also get a strong sewer smell as we drive, even with no vents open. I also need help with this problem.
Thanks
You have a leak in your black tank or black tank plumbing. I would look at the joint where the drain pipe exists the tank. If you haven't had your wet bay replaced, the leaks you have will cause the floor to rot out in the wet bay. Maybe the best fix is to go to Red Bay and have them replace the wet bay. Since this involves removing everything, this could fix your other problem as well. They will also check for roof rail cracks and DS slide floor problems at the same time. These are all extended warranty repairs at no charge to you.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 07:33 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemandave View Post
Interesting JimandWanda, I would think the bathroom sink would dump into the gray water waste tank, it's worth looking into, it may be a mistake from the factory.
Firemandave
What makes you think think that a sink dumping into the black tank "may be a mistake from the factory"??

Like JimandWanda's, my bathroom sink also drains to the grey tank...... (something I didn't know/notice for over 10 years).
Before Monaco bought SMC in 2001-2002, Safari Motor Coaches plumbed the bathroom sink that way on many/most? of their coaches.....(that may not be normal or common but there is no doubt that Safari did it on purpose).

BTW, on my coach the Splendide washer does not drain in to either tank.
It drains directly out of the 3" sewer hose connector.

Mel
'96 Safari Sahara.132k miles
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:56 PM   #22

The grey tank gets bad also. We found that the air admittance valve was no good on ourhttp://www.homedepot.com/p/t/100204205?selectedCatgry=SEARCH+ALL&jspStoreDir=hd us&catalogId=10053&navFlow=3&keyword=39012&Ntpc=1& langId=-1&Nu=P_PARENT_ID&storeId=10051&Ntpr=1&ddkey=Search &AID=10505125&PID=5509621&SID=skim21873X801426Xcb0 1ab1506f2b6efa7d90f7e978245f6&cj=true&cm_mmc=CJ-_-5509621-_-10505125&N=5yc1v&R=100204205#.Uo_SYSko5Mw w/d drain line. There cheap enough and also under all our sinks.
Old 11-22-2013, 03:12 PM   #23

Oatey 1-1/2 in. ABS PTC In-Line Cheater Vent-39012 at The Home Depot
Old 11-23-2013, 09:19 PM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
My 32CA HAD 2 BAD AIR DMITANCE VALVES THEY WERE MIS MANUFACTURED . THE CHECK VALVE SPRING WAS MISSING. THIS ALLOWED GREY TANK SMELL INTO THE MH.

WENT TO HOME DEPOT GOT 2 valves about 20$ each. problem gone completely.
The valves screw on by hand.
wmdavehill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #25

I also had an odor problem that I tried everything suggested but just could not solve. I then installed one of these Lil' Stanker in the vent and have not had a problem since. Lil' Stanker™ In-Line Deodorizer Fans
Chief9-4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #26

hi folks and happy holidays to all' with regards to sewer odor entering your coach or in your sewer compartment there, is an auto vent under the shower. if you have an 07- 42 ftr like i have you can remove the sewer cabinet panel and reach up and remove it. your better off just getting an inch and a half pvc plug and capping it off -problem solved. i am a retired master plumber and can tell you that the auto vents that tiffin uses are worthless and are not allowed even where aav's are permissible by code. its not going to affect how the shower works it will still drain. motor home plumbing is not plumbing. it is a bunch of fittings and pipe jerry rigged at best. the only true vent goes through the roof or connects to one that does go thru happy motoring and good luck
espy1949 is offline   Reply With Quote