RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #1

Sewer smell

Hi there I have a 2011 Phaeton and we constantly get odors in the bathroom even with an empty tank and chemicals in the tank. I called Tiffin and they said to replace the automatic valve under the sink. I did this and still doesn't help. I would like to install a 360 degree cyclone tank vent. However up on the roof there are two vents that are right next to each other and not enough room to install 2 cyclones. I can't determine which vent goes to the black tank. Called Tiffin and they said you have to take the whole panel off in the waste bin and try to trace the vent. Has anyone had luck finding which vent up on the roof goes to the black tank. Thanks.

TVDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2014, 10:58 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVDW View Post
Hi there I have a 2011 Phaeton and we constantly get odors in the bathroom even with an empty tank and chemicals in the tank. I called Tiffin and they said to replace the automatic valve under the sink. I did this and still doesn't help. I would like to install a 360 degree cyclone tank vent. However up on the roof there are two vents that are right next to each other and not enough room to install 2 cyclones. I can't determine which vent goes to the black tank. Called Tiffin and they said you have to take the whole panel off in the waste bin and try to trace the vent. Has anyone had luck finding which vent up on the roof goes to the black tank. Thanks.
If everything in both the black and the gray sewer drain systems is working properly, (and you are not running a vent fan, or driving with a window open), NO sewer odor will enter the living area of a RV.

Adding "cyclone tank vents", (or any other gizmos/gadgets), is like putting a band-aid on a broken leg...(they may "cover-up the problem".... but they don't actually fix the problem).

However if you to need to determine which roof vent is which you can run. (or pour), water down into the roof vent pipes while someone listens at, (or looks down), an open toilet for the water.

Mel
'96 Safari

mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #3

Ever tried to back-flush the tank to really get it cleaned out? Oder is because of waste still in tank. Dave
allegro1x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Have you determined where the odor is coming from? Sink or commode?
garykk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #5

Thank You for your suggestions
Old 10-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #6

If you have a sewer smell in the bathroom and the toilet is closed with water in it, and no window is open, the odor is not coming from the black tank. Grey tank odor with food residue can be just as bad as the black tank. The only way odor can get into the bathroom is through the vent valve under the sink unless you have a defective toilet seal which is unlikely. You say you have changed it. If the odor is strong under the sink when you open the cabinet, that is still the source. Are you sure the replacement valve was good?
Crasher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #7

Is your coach plumbed for a washer? Have you verified that you have water in the P-traps? Do you have the exhaust fan on when flushing? Negative air pressure in the coach will draw air from wherever it can, even the holding tanks. Do you keep some water in the toilet bowl?
Try putting a gallon of water with 1/2 cup Calgon water softener & 1/2 cup Dawn dish soap in each tank right after doing a dump. Repeat this two or three times and verify you have clear water coming out after you do a dump.
NITEHAWK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 11:47 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
One trick I read on another thread on iRV2 that might help: pour food coloring down one of the vent stacks on the roof (you may need to pour some water down the vent pipe, too... to be sure the food coloring is washed into the tank). Then drain each tank (using a clear sewer elbow so you can see the liquids draining out) and look for the color.

Works best if the tanks are empty... and then add a bunch of clean water to mix the food coloring in.

Repeat with the other vent stack to confirm it's for the other tank (maybe use a different color).

Best of luck! It can be a chore chasing down the sources of odor!
Old 10-09-2014, 02:36 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Two thoughts for you to check. First is are you sure it is sewer; I once had a shorted cell in one of my batteries that caused my charger to constantly try to charge boiling the battery which out gassed smelling like sewer gas.

Second on my last coach I removed the sewer vent cap and found that the vent pipe did not actually exit the roof and was venting into the ceiling plenum.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:27 AM   #10

Thanks I think I have cleaned it real good several times. I did put a new automatic vent under the sink and waiting to see if that helps.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:28 AM   #11

Thanks for the suggestion I will check the washer trap and add water to see if that helps.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #12

New too me 08 Phaeton, also had a sewer odor after dumping the tanks.
Only been on two camping trips to date.
Removed the tank access panel on the Passenger Side of The Coach.
I cut the vent lines that run from the tanks to the roof.
On my coach (on the roof) the vent outlet to the rear is the black tank vent.
I flushed each vent from the roof to the tank, with the cut open vent pipe I was able to view what came out the vents. Nothing.
I installed on each vent a 1 1/2 PVC Union. The union will give me future access.
Note: you will need to cut an additional 3/16 inch of the ends of one of the cut vent pipes to install the union. I use a cutting wheel.
I also change all of the Pop-A-vents, 4.
I also added water to the p-trap for the washer.
The shower drain p-trap I have not access.
Have not tested for odor.
I watch a few YouTube Videos (RV Geeks) and learned more about tank maintenance.
I believe thank properly cleaning the thanks is the solution to the problem.
Note: the black tank with a single toilet is the dump valve (outlet), the toilet (inlet) and the one vent to the roof.
Chackbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 05:30 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVDW View Post
I would like to install a 360 degree cyclone tank vent. However up on the roof there are two vents that are right next to each other and not enough room to install 2 cyclones.
Are the cyclone vents you are considering installing the kind that rotate around? And is that why you don't have room for both of them on the vent pipes that are right next to one another?

You might want to check out the 360 Siphon Vent ( http://bit.ly/360-siphon ). No moving parts... and they might be able to be installed right next to each other without any modifications. I've heard that they work really well!

Just another option!
Old 10-10-2014, 05:54 PM   #14

Sorry, when I said, that nothing came out of the cut ends of the vent pipe.
I should have stated nothing but clean, clear water. NO vent restriction.

Chackbay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
smell