Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2014, 07:13 AM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGrosman View Post

Lets say it is very cold outside and dark. You have been watching TV for three hours and running a small heater and a little cooking. You have no idea that the electric has been off for two hours. You get ready for bed and notice you lights are getting dim. Only to discover you power is off and your batteries are dying. You are going to have a very cold night because you do not have enough power to run the heater or start the generator. You can not take a shower because the pump will not run on dead batteries. Leave the inverter off and turn it on when you need it.
As I had stated in an earlier post, it is a convenience device. How to use the inverter is totally a personal choice. However, for you since your coach obviously does NOT have an AGS system, I would closely monitor your House Bank SOC making sure it doesn't go below 50% SOC otherwise you will be investing in House Batteries frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post

It sounds like the higher end coach have idiot proof systems and it makes no difference. For the lower end units you can definitely get into trouble by leaving it on. I used to just turn it on when needed, like to make coffee in a Walmart lot or to watch TV while not on the grid. Yes, sure did like it.
I would not recommend using your inverter and House Battery Bank to make coffee or using the microwave or for that matter ANY high amp draw device.

Some people with 2000 & 3000 watt inverters will use those high amp devices but my opinion is that it hurts the battery bank and diminishes the usefulness of the House Battery bank.

I always use the generator when making coffee or using the microwave or using a hair dryer, etc. The devices will last longer along with your House Battery Bank.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 10:01 AM   #16

Dr4film: Thanks for the manual ! The posts from Rv'ers make a lot more sense than what that was telling me.
Pa Uon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:38 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
DR?, your comments are misleading and in general wrong in many situations. It all depends upon the size of your battery bank. Your rule of thumb is that that a battery should not be drawn down below 50% charge. Currently we have one battery at about 100 amp hours which means we get to use about 50ah. So we start the genny for coffee and toast in the morning in a Walmart lot. About three units ago we had a lower end DP which had four batteries in the range of 600 ah so we got to use about 300 ah of energy which is plenty for the coffee and toast. Besides, the 50% rule is arbitary and certainly can be exceed frequently. We probably never do this enough times to make a real difference in the real world.
targaboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #18

I have had no need for the inverter in my rig, so I leave it off except to occassionally test that it works. Nice to know it is there and functional.
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:08 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post

DR?, your comments are misleading and in general wrong in many situations. It all depends upon the size of your battery bank. Your rule of thumb is that that a battery should not be drawn down below 50% charge. Currently we have one battery at about 100 amp hours which means we get to use about 50ah. So we start the genny for coffee and toast in the morning in a Walmart lot. About three units ago we had a lower end DP which had four batteries in the range of 600 ah so we got to use about 300 ah of energy which is plenty for the coffee and toast. Besides, the 50% rule is arbitary and certainly can be exceed frequently. We probably never do this enough times to make a real difference in the real world.
Contrary to your belief, my comments happen to be my opinions as I had noted with an underline in case you had missed it and whether they are wrong or not I will let others decide for themselves.

For those following this thread here are two excellent documents regarding batteries, the care of, charging and storage of them, inverters, solar panels, etc.

The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)

The 12volt Side of Life Part 2

I have referenced these two documents many times in various posts throughout iRV2.com.

Bookmark them for your reference. However, if you feel they are inaccurate or do not offer any useful or valuable information then don't.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 07:19 AM   #20

Thanks for the great answers and suggestions. Looks like it is a matter of preference.
Pa Uon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2020, 03:20 PM   #21

I know this is a pretty old thread, but I have a few questions about the inverter system figured it would be better to keep it all in one thread.
I am asking the same questions as the OP, should I leave the inverter on all the time to keep things running whenever I unplug or there is a power failure etc.
But my question is does anyone know what is the wear factor and what are the cons to leaving the inverter on all the time (if any) as long as I plug in or start the generator every so often to be sure the batteries dont get too low.
I have been told by an RV service center that running the inverter all the time will make the batteries go bad quicker, but wondering if thats only if leaving it on for extended periods of time and letting the batteries run down and not running the generator or plugging in to keep the charge up?
Or does it still cost some wear if leaving the inverter on, even if the charge on the batteries is kept up.

Also interested in learning about what is exactly happening internally when the inverter is on and the gen is running or plugged into 50 amp...
Are the appliances that run on the inverter still running through the inverter and the 50 amp is only being used to charge the batteries? Or is everything switched over to run directly off of 50 amp as if the inverter is off (even though it is switched on)

Any input or thoughts would be great.

This is on a 2009 Newmar Dutch Aire

Thanks.
caleb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:47 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
I turn it off when not using RV and not connected to shore power or generator. Running inverter (even unloaded) will drain batteries.
tarheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:31 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheel21 View Post
I turn it off when not using RV and not connected to shore power or generator. Running inverter (even unloaded) will drain batteries.
Thanks for the reply.

Definately would turn off when not being used and not on shore power. I agree. Looking to find out what harm/wear could be done when leaving it on while connected to shore power... such as are appliances running through the inverter still even when connected to 50 amp?

Thanks
caleb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:59 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb1 View Post
Thanks for the reply.

Definately would turn off when not being used and not on shore power. I agree. Looking to find out what harm/wear could be done when leaving it on while connected to shore power... such as are appliances running through the inverter still even when connected to 50 amp?

Thanks
Anything running thru the inverter, while on shore power, will still run thru even with the inverter off.

There is a transfer switch inside the inverter that passes the current thru. If you lose shore power, then the switch connects to the inverter output.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter