Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #1

should this be hooked up

While i was doing some maintenance on my 1998 allegro bus on a freightliner XC chassis i noticed this wire was not connected, it is on some sort of pressure switch that is part of the brake pedal air control.
I have have never had any problems and it looks like it has never been hooked up as there is undercoating sprayed on the threads and on the wire connector.
Any input would be appreciated.
Ken
badtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2011, 11:28 AM   #2

I cant say for sure as im just waking up looking at the picture not the wire itself, but it looks to me like it was connected. I could swear i was seeing silver on the connector. It could just be that at some point the nut just fell off a while back and the wire followed. but uncovered they will not stay silver for long being outside.

then again that just look like dirt and grime more then undercoating to me as well.
DevonJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
This goes back a while, but I used to have a 2002 Winnebago Journey on a Freightliner XC chassis and recall working on the wiring on that switch when I installed my toad auxiliary brake system.

If I recall correctly, there is a actually a dual switch connected to the brake pedal assembly that turns the brake lights on when the air brake pedal is pressed. Since you have dual brake systems, there are two switches...one on the red and one on the green air lines.

On my system, the output of the two switches were jumpered together, then fed the brake light circuitry. WIth both jumpered together, either system would activate the brake lights with a pressure increase in the red or green lines.

I'm positive I can see two wires coming out of the disconnected lug in your photo. The long end goes to your brake light circuit, and I think the other end goes to the other brake light pressure switch right beside it. I'll bet if you put a test light on both switches you'll see the output go to +12v when you press the brake pedal.

If you'd like, you can re-connect that wire to the output of the seconds pressure switch to have it back to factory conditions. Right now, you're operating with just one switch.

On my Journey, I actually disconnected the second switch the way yours currently is, as I wanted that second independent switch output to be availble to provide the control signal to my auxiliary braking unit. It ran that way for many years without an issue.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #4

I would say it seems obvious that this was meant to be hooked up but was missed or disconnected at some time for some reason and not reconnected by mistake. I would reconnect it...
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 09:17 AM   #5

Thanks for the reply's, Devonjh that shiny spot you see is where i scraped off the under coating just to see if that is what it really was, so i went ahead and hooked up the wire , started up the motor check to see if there was a difference in low pressure alarms, bells, buzzers, and see no difference.
I think it could be either a second brake light switch like joe -K says or another low pressure switch.

Thanks Ken
Old 03-06-2011, 10:33 AM   #6

Well i spent some time checking the wiring out and have figured it out that these are both brake light switches, i'm not sure why there are two of them but i'm positive that's what they are.

Thanks for the help. Ken