RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2014, 11:11 AM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Sizing the Best Tires for Allegro Bay

Hi,

My 2004, 34' Allegro Bay currently has Michelin 235/80/22.5 XRV's, all 6 have to come off due to dealer error/damage, the XRV's are out of stock/just being poured...they offered me 80%.

Les Schwab, says there is 'no Toyo equivalent' for the Tiffin because Toyo's, their house brand, only comes in a 245/80/22.5 size and therefore cannot be used on these coaches.

Technically true?

Appreciate your responses...thanks.

tealstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2014, 02:40 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
The Michelins you're replacing are a size specific to that brand, and there are other models available in that size so no need to abandon a brand you believe in. Many folks caught up in the XRV fiasco of a few years back but decided to stay with Michelins went to the XZA. The XZE will also fit. Both seem to have earned good reports.

The Toyo closest match to Michelin's more or less proprietary size is slightly different both dimensionally and in load bearing capacity. That fact and Les Schwab's very natural reluctance to err in the smallest way are likely the root of the problem.

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 04:05 PM   #3

I believe you will find many brands make a 245/75 R 22.5, and I think that is the "go to" size when the XRVs are not available.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 05:05 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Good news! There's an e-bay ad for the very same tires you're taking off- year of manufacture 2014, and billed there as "the last six in North America" until 2015.

Included, here quoting:
Quote:
Price includes shipping to an ASE CERTIFIED installer in your local area (we are happy to secure local installer), mounting, new valve stems, balancing of all tires, and disposal of the old tires.
Since Michelin's already agreed to pay 80% and this is what you say you want, what's not to like?
Here's the link
Old 10-09-2014, 09:05 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks all for you feedback. The new shop says Michelin is pouring new tires now, so hopefully, I won't have to wait too long. The weather is good still in Oregon.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Good news! There's an e-bay ad for the very same tires you're taking off- year of manufacture 2014, and billed there as "the last six in North America" until 2015.

Included, here quoting:

Since Michelin's already agreed to pay 80% and this is what you say you want, what's not to like?
Here's the link
Only that their price is nearly double what those tires "should" cost
and the detailed description says all 6 will be balanced, when the picture says steer only, there isn't much to dislike. I'm GUESSING Michelin ain't gonna pay 80% of THIS price.

I would like to ask the OP exactly what did the dealer do to damage all six tires so badly they have agreed to replace them.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:45 AM   #7

I would like to ask the OP exactly what did the dealer do to damage all six tires so badly they have agreed to replace them.[/QUOTE]
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 06:51 AM   #8

Tealstar, would you PLEASE call Tiffin and let us know what they tell you regarding acceptable tire replacement size options for your coach.....
Solask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 09:14 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tealstar View Post
Gee-whiz, Francesca, you are in an awfully good mood today. You even did a search for me on Ebay? My eyes are moist and stuff.

Thanks, but that's more credit than I deserve. I wasn't shopping E-bay; I only stumbled over the ad while noodling around looking for information on the tires you're taking off. I'm curious because Michelin is well known to provide that kind of comprehensive take-em-all-off coverage only due to some kind of manufacturing defect. And in this case, FOUR of the six tires don't even show any "damage"-? If there was any way for Michelin to shift the blame for the two that are damaged onto Les Schwab, whose only involvement as I understand it was to provide free air checks, they'd have been all over them like flies-on-you-know-what. And they're laying off you, too...most unusual for them not to blame a customer's admitted disregard of the warranty language regarding frequent air checks etc.

Won't throw this thread off its topic by reporting on what I've come across here- your other thread ( link) seems like a more appropriate place for that. But I will say that I hope you're now dealing with whatever shop put the tires on to begin with. You MIGHT have a chance of getting that other 20% from them!
Old 10-10-2014, 10:39 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
I believe you will find many brands make a 245/75 R 22.5, and I think that is the "go to" size when the XRVs are not available.
The key would be the separation between the duals more than anything else. I'm about to embark on the same journey with my DP because I really want to go 10mm wider on my drives because there's a much better tires selection in the wider size.

Steve
Old 10-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
SteveLevin, thanks for "posting on topic."

-I was on hold forever with Tiffin, so don't have their opinion yet.

-245/80/22.5's are supposed to be a replacement for my 235/80/22.5 XRV's.
- Les Schwab's Director of sales claims, through their manager, that their 245/80/22.5 Toyo's are a liability on motorhomes. Why? Because they are 1 cm wider...so 5mm each end on the duals.

Perhaps inside contact, heat build up, degradation of the duals is causing blow outs. Someone commented in another thread about that.

Which raises an interesting question: how much play is there on the back Axel? Right terminology? Where the duals are mounted?
Old 10-10-2014, 11:12 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tealstar View Post
Hi,

My 2004, 34' Allegro Bay currently has Michelin 235/80/22.5 XRV's, all 6 have to come off due to dealer error/damage, the XRV's are out of stock/just being poured...they offered me 80%.

Les Schwab, says there is 'no Toyo equivalent' for the Tiffin because Toyo's, their house brand, only comes in a 245/80/22.5 size and therefore cannot be used on these coaches.

Technically true?

Appreciate your responses...thanks.
For all you folks that may want to get away from Michelin's specific tire sizes, use the following website to help you decide (not only watch measurements, but revolutions per mile which effects the speedometer)
stik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 11:17 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Edgray, that's a whole different topic abandoned due to the fan club that has followed me here: watch out for the core valves. There are several posts online about having the right one(red vs. black?), reseating issues after an air gauge check that produces a slow leak, out of tolerance mfg issues of some coming in from China?
Old 10-10-2014, 11:18 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Stick...your link did not post.

Tags
tires