Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2017, 02:16 PM   #1

Slide and leveling proceduure

Can someone please tell me what Tiffin procedure is for leveling and putting slides out? Thanks.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2017, 02:34 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickschaak View Post
Can someone please tell me what Tiffin procedure is for leveling and putting slides out? Thanks.
Not sure Tiffin has one. Anyway, I always level first, then put the slides out.
Old 10-02-2017, 02:42 PM   #3
epj

I also do this, and bring the slides in before lifting the jacks. If you are fairly level to start with, it probably doesn't matter that much.
Old 10-02-2017, 04:35 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
The owner's manual for both our Allegro RED and our Phaeton say level the coach first, then extend the slides with the engine running. Some will say extend the slides on shore power, but I tried that one time with our RED and it messed up the Spyder system which had to be rebooted.

From the Phaeton owner's manual:
Make sure that the motorhome has been leveled,
that the battery is fully charged and connected to
the electrical system, and that the ignition switch
is “on” and the engine is running before attempting
to use the slide-out features.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:46 AM   #5

Quote:
I always level first, then put the slides out. I also keep the engine running while doing this. If you watch your voltage level, you will see that the engine alternator keeps the voltage up around 14v while the big hydraulic motor runs for the jacks and any hydraulic slide outs that you have. On shore power, the converter can't keep up and the voltage will quickly drop to around 12 volts or even lower. The Schwintek slides use smaller motors, but they still seem to run much more smoothly with the extra boost the alternator supplies.

As others have mentioned, the parking brake must be set for the whole procedure. Also, be VERY careful of lifting off your rear wheels. If you do, you are on a pretty good slope and at the same time you lose the parking brake since it only functions through the rear wheels. If the motorhome shifts at all you will really mess up your jacks. They can lift very heavy loads, but they can't withstand much of any forward or backward forces.

If a campground has a lot of slope I ask for a "nose down" site. I then drive the front end up on a couple blocks and put similar blocks under the front jacks. Adds maybe 5 minutes to the setup process and with the front tires on blocks and the front jacks not extended a great deal, I end up with a nice stable setup. No wobbles when walking around inside.

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
gorwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:32 AM   #6

Thank you, that is the procedure that I will follow.
Old 10-05-2017, 12:15 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
On my 2005 Bay I have to have the engine running and park brake set for the levelers to work. I then have to switch "off" the engine for my slides to work, the slides will not extend or retract with the engine running. Tiffin has probably made many changes in 12 years.
riverat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 12:37 AM   #8

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I have a Holiday Rambler so procedures may be different, but how do you level with engine running? If my engine is running the air bags are inflating
Old 10-05-2017, 12:56 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Slides should only be moved when the coach is has the suspension dumped and is reasonably level. So dump and level first, then extend slides and retract slides before retracting jacks. Our Phaeton has hydraulic slides in the PS, elecrics on the DS. The electrics require the key to be on, the hydraulics do not. Engine is off for jacks and slide movement. Connecting to shore or genny power can help the slides to mive.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:03 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The salesman who sold us our pre-owned coach said slides then level. I did that a couple of times since it made sense that the slides could "unlevel" the coach if done after leveling. I've since read the manual and it says to do the opposite. Guess I'll level with the engine running then slides and manually adjust if required.
oldSarge98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 01:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldSarge98 View Post
The salesman who sold us our pre-owned coach said slides then level. I did that a couple of times since it made sense that the slides could "unlevel" the coach if done after leveling. I've since read the manual and it says to do the opposite. Guess I'll level with the engine running then slides and manually adjust if required.

Never trust anything a sales rep tells you. [emoji35]
DWRichard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:58 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
I really worry about how our motorhomes were treated by sales staff and dealers, and even at the Tiffin factory, before we bought them. I've seen coaches being driven around with all the slides out!
David3811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 12:56 PM   #13

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Slides should only be moved when the coach is has the suspension dumped and is reasonably level. So dump and level first, then extend slides and retract slides before retracting jacks. Our Phaeton has hydraulic slides in the PS, elecrics on the DS. The electrics require the key to be on, the hydraulics do not. Engine is off for jacks and slide movement. Connecting to shore or genny power can help the slides to mive.
Thanks Vsheetz - thats what i will do. Unfortunately, looks like one of my bushings is bent and off track causing a slight uneven extension. not sure how to replace the bushing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0199.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	178946  
Old 10-06-2017, 08:11 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverat View Post
On my 2005 Bay I have to have the engine running and park brake set for the levelers to work. I then have to switch "off" the engine for my slides to work, the slides will not extend or retract with the engine running. Tiffin has probably made many changes in 12 years.
You can have the engine off, with the key accessories on and the Jacks will work. At least it works like that too on my 2005 Bay

Tags
leveling, slide