Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #1

Slide - ideas

Thank you for everyone's input.

I have a 2000 tiffin allegro bay diesel pusher. One slide out- drivers side.

When we get to our site, we level and slide doesn't go out. I do it by hand (15 minutes in-between beers). When we are ready to leave slide comes back in like a champ. Never any issues with it coming in.

Took it to transwest rv/truck center. They stated out the slide out first prior to leveling- which is different from manual. They stated the jacks are binding the slide. So he hit the out button and sure enough it went out.

This weekend we went to buena vista Colorado (beautiful spot). We got to our site, and hit the out button for the slide out (which I am still not comfortable doing) and it went out. Then I leveled the MH. We were on pretty level ground already.

Do I listen to the transwest guy, or am I doing damage to the slide out by putting it out first prior to leveling??? Then I see all the MH at the dealership's with the slide out with no jacks.
aaronwhite17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2016, 07:39 PM   #2

Maybe the topper awning. I had a similar issue and it turned out to be the awning. Not sure I'd replace another topper.
Old 06-29-2016, 08:35 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
My guess is that it is electric, not hydraulic.

If electric, how does it sound going out?
Does it even begin to extend after leveling?

If you stop the slide 1/2 way out, there should be a fairly even gap all the way around, what do you see.

When closed, are all the edges of the slide tight against the walls.

What troubles me, is that if there is binding after leveling, you should see a problem when retracting the slide while on the jacks.

Dan
Old 06-29-2016, 09:14 PM   #4

It is electric slide.

When we level and try to put the slide out- you just hear clicking noise.

This is the first we tried extended without leveling, so I was not looking.

Yes, the edges are flush after closing
Old 06-29-2016, 09:43 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwhite17 View Post
It is electric slide.

When we level and try to put the slide out- you just hear clicking noise.

This is the first we tried extended without leveling, so I was not looking.

Yes, the edges are flush after closing
Sorry about all the questions
So there are different kinds of "clicking". A light click or clicking can be a relay snapping closed.
Another kind can be more mechanical, and can be the motor turning, and the gears are skipping...but that would sound like more of a machine gun (rapid clicking).

My first guess is something might be binding enough to cause the controller to shut off the motor. Most of these slides have current sensing, which shuts off the motor when the slide reaches the end of travel. The current goes up a lot when it hits the wall and stops. There is an adjustment for this, and it may be adjusted too sensitive.

So a little binding could prevent it from opening. This is only a guess.

When the jacks are extended, does the slide come in normally and completely. And then what happens if you immediately try to extend it again?

I would bet money that there is minimal binding which changes after leveling, but I think the real problem is more like a incorrect current adjustment. If you can help the slide by pushing on it when trying to extend, and it works....then likely a controller adjustment is needed.

Dan
Old 06-30-2016, 05:38 PM   #6

Don't worry about all the questions.

My wife does the switch as I am outside making sure everything is clear. She says- she turns the key to on, hits the out button and it is rapid clicking. This happens only when we level first.

When we hit the in button, comes in without a problem. We tried once hit the in button, came in then hit the out button and went right back without any issues.

Tags
slide