RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2014, 09:40 AM   #1

Slide Problem (Inside Guard Rattle Noise) 2014 36LA

Has anyone had a flapping sound coming from the slide guard under the carpet when driving. Ours is not flat but wavy. While my husband is driving, if I am sitting on sofa near that area, the noise stops. Even with the slide out the area near the sofa and lounge chair is wavy and pops if stepped on. We are at Red Bay waiting for service and wanted to check in to see if anyone else has had this problem...if it is normal or something that can be corrected.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2014, 07:46 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Guard Noise

My 36LA is at the dealer for some warranty work including a noise in the slide guard when driving. Mine is also a rattle noise and sometimes is accompanied by a squeaking noise. The noise can be heard from the driver's seat. The last time I talked to the dealer they had not been able to duplicate. That does not surprise me since on a very smooth road there is no noise.

My guard and carpet is not wavy. I have not noticed it popping when stepped on, but will try it today after I pick up the motor home.

I have not heard of others having this problem.

While you are at Red Bed check your entry door and how it fits when closed very closely. I was at Red Bay in February. The door on my coach 3 other 36LAs had problems with the door fit.

If you have the outside TV, check the lower corners of the opening for stress cracks. The fix is very easy for them to perform. It consists of relieving the stress and adding 2 pieces of trim.

Old 08-11-2014, 08:02 AM   #3

Just curious. What is the wait time on service this time of year?!
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:48 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
I haven't had the slide guard problem. I did have problems with the door frame - which my dealer fixed; and I have a crack on the lower corner of the outside television which is still waiting repair. On a positive note, my icemaker actually works finally!!
Old 08-11-2014, 03:17 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
ice maker

I also had a problem with my ice maker, but is was my fault. I turned off the water pump without putting the ice maker's wire bail into the off position. Ice maker's water input froze.
Old 08-11-2014, 04:14 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
My ice maker problem turned out to be improperly connected hoses - took two trips back to the dealer to get it fixed - they ended up having to remove the entire fridge and reconnecting everything to stop the leaks.... cranks out ice like a champ now though -
Old 08-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
What I think you are describing is the slide rollers rattling. I have adjusted my rollers and it is much less loud now. Some people put something under the rollers such as cardboard or a towel stuffed under the lip to stop it. It is a common issue. Lift the carpet up and you can see the rollers. The cardboard has to go under the black lip far enough to get under the roller to stop it.
Melmoses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehardman View Post
My 36LA is at the dealer for some warranty work including a noise in the slide guard when driving. Mine is also a rattle noise and sometimes is accompanied by a squeaking noise. The noise can be heard from the driver's seat. The last time I talked to the dealer they had not been able to duplicate. That does not surprise me since on a very smooth road there is no noise.

My guard and carpet is not wavy. I have not noticed it popping when stepped on, but will try it today after I pick up the motor home.

I have not heard of others having this problem.

While you are at Red Bed check your entry door and how it fits when closed very closely. I was at Red Bay in February. The door on my coach 3 other 36LAs had problems with the door fit.

If you have the outside TV, check the lower corners of the opening for stress cracks. The fix is very easy for them to perform. It consists of relieving the stress and adding 2 pieces of trim.
We did have a problem with our door early on. Our dealer couldn't fix it but Tiffin did. We have heard of problems with the TV so far ours looks OK . Thanks for the reminder on that we will bring that up when we are called. We are told that the flapping noise may be fixed with a couple of screws. What I have been doing is when the slide is in I put two cushioned kitchen mats under it and that seems to help. May leave it alone. Sometimes when it is "fixed" it causes another problem.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melmoses View Post
What I think you are describing is the slide rollers rattling. I have adjusted my rollers and it is much less loud now. Some people put something under the rollers such as cardboard or a towel stuffed under the lip to stop it. It is a common issue. Lift the carpet up and you can see the rollers. The cardboard has to go under the black lip far enough to get under the roller to stop it.
That is just what the scheduler told us today. We also have marks on the floor from the rollers and he suggested leaving our carpets or cardboard under them to solve as well. Thanks so much for your reply
Old 08-11-2014, 08:34 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChallengerRN View Post
Just curious. What is the wait time on service this time of year?!
We were told today since we are going the express route, that they may take us tomorrow. There are less coaches here than were here in the beginning of May. If we get in tomorrow that will be wonderful. We came in on Sat afternoon.
Old 08-12-2014, 05:08 AM   #11

Slide Problem (Inside Guard Rattle Noise) 2014 36LA

We were there last month to do the factory tour. We were thinking about buying a Tiffin. At that time the campground at the service center was full?? I didn't quite understand that picture. But it did look like everyone was having a good time?!
ChallengerRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 08:39 PM   #12

We were there in early July. This time we were out in two weeks! Welcome to the great times at camp Red Bay. You are guaranteed to meet some good folks.

Greg & Lynn (Full-timers)
2011 42QBH Tiffin Phaeton
2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 05:00 AM   #13

We haven't had an issue with noise from the rollers or slide, but I have noticed marks on the floor. We are currently on a 24 day trip with it and I will try tucking something under the rollers.
We did have an awful time with our door. We had gaps were the door wasn't aligned properly. Took it in twice to the dealer. The second trip to the dealer, Tiffin advised them to replace the entire door. Looked good when we took it home; no gaps, no squeaks. Now on this trip it has started squeaking and I see we have some major scratches in the bottom sill.
We have another week to go...bottom sill is going to be a mess :(
Summerhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Try spaying some Boshield lubricant on the bottom seal. It will help with the squeaking and may help protect it.

Tags
slide