RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2015, 01:21 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Slide question

We had a 2007 gas class A and just got a 2010 DP. With the Gas there were 2 slides and If we ever had a problem with them retracting or opening there was a crank we could insert and crank them out or in manually. Now that we have the DP we can't find anything in the RV manual that tells you what to do if they ever stop working. The slides work fine, nothing has happened so far but it is still in storage and have only had them opened a few times while moving our stuff into it. It would be nice to know what to do IF we are ever in this situation. There is no crank for the slides on the 2010 or a hole in any of the slides for a crank if it was ever needed.

Anyone ever have this issue and what did you have to do?

Thanks

chiavet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2015, 02:19 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would be very surprised if your rig doesn't have a method for manually retracting the slides. Hopefully some Phaeton owners will be along soon to shed some light on the topic for you.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 02:55 PM   #3

Do you have a little cabinets right behind the driver seat that holds movies or Cd's one is in there.You should have a pole in your basement Some are Electric and hydraulic we have both
REB16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:49 AM   #4

FWIW, I asked the guys at Red Bay about emergency retraction of the hydraulic slides. There was a procedure in the manual but no way to reach anything to do it. His answer, forget it, you will have to call a tech if they are stuck out. The procedure did involve a crank but none was supplied with the coach.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:12 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are they electric slides? If so I can probably tell you how to get them to work. There is usually a control box in the basement and sometimes each slide has its own control box.
camato5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:46 PM   #6

Go to the tiffin forum ( TRVN ). You'll get an answer from owners on that forum.
Hayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 04:39 AM   #7

Well, I'm over there more than here and...I doubt it. Why? Some of the new slideouts are Schwintek, they are a bear but there is an emergency retract procedure. Once in a while it works. More often than not the Schwintek will require heavy duty repair...yes, it can be done and there are even videos to help showing the procedures. Older slides were much simpler, like someone mentioned. Release the brake and crank them in with a wrench. Schwintek is bad IMHO. Hydraulics are good but are prone to leaks and solenoid failures although I rate them far ahead of any Schwintek. You will need to release the hydraulic pressure to move the slideout, there should be a procedure in the owners manual but...like I said, not functional on our rig. It hasn't failed yet but I do now have a fluid leak on one hydraulic slide. It could be the fitting, hose bad or solenoid. I'm taking it in for service in two weeks, step bad also so I'll let them fix it - NOT Red Bay - never again for me. Just my opinion but Schwintek on a rig takes it off our search list. We really liked a few other rigs more than the Breeze but scratched them off because of the Schwintek. The Breeze is all hydraulic. Very reliable except as mentioned. Once in a while you can simply tighten the hose fittings and stop the leak...if you know how to tighten a hydraulic fitting. Loosen the hose inside swivel nut from the hose outside lock nut. Then tighten the outer hose to the solenoid. Then tighten the inner hose swivel nut to the hose lock nut. Normally it takes a small turn, like 1/4 turn. Don't go cowboy on those fittings, it will ruin them. After the procedure operate the slides a few times to purge any air that might be in the line. Is it easy to get to those fittings and solenoids on the Breeze? Well, is it easy to win the lottery.....
Old 02-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #8

I believe that your 2010 is the same as my 2012 36QSH. The PS slides are HWH hydraulic and the DS are both electric (fortunately not Schwintec (sp)). You might be able to manually move the bedroom slides but it would take a lot of force to move the living/kitchen slides. There are no built in (cranks, etc) provisions for moving any of them.

The hydraulic slides should be moveable if the hydraulic pressure is ported and the electric should be moveable if the motors are removed.

Tags
slide