Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2015, 06:52 PM   #15

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
OT-RoadAgain I would like to know the nature of the "fail" of the HepvO waterless trap. I have one under the shower. It will be very hard to get at I expect and there is no room for other than a like replacement. Just wanting to know if there is something I can do to extend its life. Of course under the shower it is not likely to catch anything like what might go down a sink drain other than dirty water and soap suds.
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2015, 11:57 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by xctraveler View Post
I would like to know the nature of the "fail" of the HepvO waterless trap. I have one under the shower. It will be very hard to get at I expect and there is no room for other than a like replacement. Just wanting to know if there is something I can do to extend its life. Of course under the shower it is not likely to catch anything like what might go down a sink drain other than dirty water and soap suds.
We're camping now so I haven't pulled the HepvO out yet. I'm not sure what the nature of the fail is yet, other than it lets sewer gasses back up into the coach. It'll be interesting to see why it failed when I take it out; if it's even visually possible to tell. I'll post back here after I get it out and inspect it.

At this point, as long as I keep the gate valve closed the HepvO holds back the stink. But if I leave the valve open the campground sewer system forces gasses back into the coach. Like I said earlier, I've isolated it to the bathroom sink. The other drains into the same gray tank work to hoild back the sewer gasses.
OT-RoadAgain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 03:10 PM   #17

Have not replaced filters but I'm going to repace and see what happens. Kitchen Sink filter and the one in the master bath is behind the toilet so it look like a big deal.
If it was such a cluster bomb at the factory I would bring it in.
cgarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015, 04:27 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
CGarvey, do you mean the HpevO TRAPS as opposed to filters. Never heard of a filter on a drain line. I don't want to seem too fussy but use of correct descriptive words really helps me avoid getting confused when I read a post.
Paul Rocking down the road in our '12 Phaeton 36QSH, (in service May 2012 ) We tow an '11 4 dr Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon a 2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk - Read my blog at https://goldberg-online.net/
xctraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 10:19 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by xctraveler View Post
OT-RoadAgain I would like to know the nature of the "fail" of the HepvO waterless trap. .... Just wanting to know if there is something I can do to extend its life. Of course under the shower it is not likely to catch anything like what might go down a sink drain other than dirty water and soap suds.
Took the HepvO waterless trap out today and cleaned it up to determine what condition it was in after fewer than 6 years of service. Here's a look at the inside showing the nature of the fail:

Output Side
Click image for larger version

Name:	hepvo1.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	111120

Input Side

Name:	hepvo2.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	111121

It's obvious the membrane lost its ability to stay closed and that is what allowed sewer gases to back up into the coach. I cannot recommend what could be done to extend its life. This particular HepvO was under a single sink in a bathroom that was used for washing hands and standard shaving using a safety razor and shaving foam. Used liquid dish detergent to clean the sink. The drain was never clogged so there was never a need to clean it out. Can't get much easier on a sink and drain.

I considered replacing it with a standard p-trap but I'm not a plumber and not sure if the existing plumbing is set up properly for a p-trap; for example, does it need a one-way check vent? So instead put an order in for a replacement for $37 including shipping. This is in a 2010 Itasca Ellipse 42AD. I ordered the 1 1/2 inch HepvO from the HepvO site >> Hepvo Waterless Valve.
Old 11-10-2015, 03:29 PM   #20

Comparing New to Old HepvO Waterless Trap

Received the replacement HepvO waterless trap. Below are pictures of its interior. It's apparent the membrane is closed to air movement. Looks like some of these traps have a useable life of about 6 years. At least that's what I experienced on the one in the previous thread. The other HepvO's in the coach are still holding up at this point.

Name:	H1.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	111641

Name:	H2.JPG
Views:	69
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	111640
Old 11-11-2015, 06:33 AM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Great pictures of the Hepvo traps. The first pictures look exactly why you don't want to ever push anything into the sink drain to clean it. Someone has forced something into that trap and ruptured the membrane.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 09:32 AM   #22

Ok folks have been out of pocket but here is update to my slow draining master shower and Kitchen sink. Both had Hepvo Valves and both were messed up. I ordered two Valves from Tiffin $25.00 each plus shipping. Although the information from Tiffin was wrong as to the location of the Valve in the shower, I did locate the valve after removing the toilet in the Master, OBW found it in the worst location it could have been placed by the engineers. Clearly not thought of field replacement. With that said it fixed the issue. Thanks to all for tracking this with me

Chris
cgarvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 05:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
Great pictures of the Hepvo traps. The first pictures look exactly why you don't want to ever push anything into the sink drain to clean it. Someone has forced something into that trap and ruptured the membrane.
I've had the coach since new and the wife leaves all the drain cleaning chores to me. Nothing has ever been forced into that HepvO. The membrane is not ruptured. The membrane is deformed such that it does not completely close anymore.

BTW, while I ordered the replacement from Hepvo Waterless Valve, it was actually fulfilled by Drain Master LLC @ $22.75 + $8 shipping.

Tags
shower