Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2009, 05:49 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
slow retraction of steps

I replaced my steps a few months ago. The previous steps worked quickly. These steps are very slow. You have to wait about 2 seconds for the steps to come out completely. i asked Tiffin about this and they said I am out of luck. Any way to get them to retract quickly when the door is opened? JB
brandontext is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2009, 07:45 PM   #2

Have you been lubing them frequently? I believe my instructions call for monthly. I don't do it that often, but when ours slow down a bit I get the "Grease Gun In A Can" out. If something is binding, you can also disconnect the motor and try to find the binding area. Need a bit of on-the-back work, but not difficult.

John
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 07:33 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Slow retraction steps

They are brand new. No binding or lack of lubrication. I open the door and have to wait 1 or two seconds before the steps untrack. I bought the steps from Tiffin as a replacement for the old and installed them myself. Very simple. Maddening. John Brandon
Old 12-16-2009, 07:44 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Check the voltage?
Old 12-16-2009, 09:16 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are two possible issues: As Jim said. check the voltage AT THE STEPS. it may be you have a bad electrical connection or low battery voltage

#2.. The company may have changed the transmission gears so they extend slower.. I can think of basically two reasons to do this

1: Change of motor to a less powerful one means you can't move 'em as fast

2: Concerns of a customer getting injured when the steps come out too quickly (Call 1-800-dog-bite, I'm sorry to say that, at least at one time, WAS a valid phone number for just what you think ... A dog-bite attorney)
Old 12-16-2009, 07:00 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I will check the voltage and connection, but I believe the attorney story. Sounds logical. Slow steps mean fewer law suits.
Old 12-17-2009, 09:48 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I used to tell people how to choose an attorney.. I will publically post this "Advice" (Ok, ok it's a joke) here.

First open the yellow pages to Attorneys, (or lawyers or whichever section they list 'em in)

now turn on the television, and pick up a big black marker

Every time you hear an add for a law firm.. Cross it out.

Pick up the newspaper.. When you see an add for a law firm.. Cross it out

Turn on the radio.. WHen you hear an add for a law firm, Cross it out.

When you have finished crossing out all the attornies that advertise.. Take a coin and flip it to choose between the two remaining listings.
Old 12-18-2009, 06:59 AM   #8

Back to the topic (but a funny law firm search technique). I had the original step replaced on our '95 TREK a year or so back, and the new steps extended measurably slower; so much so that one had to do a mental pause before stepping out. I think the difference may be from using a smaller, less powerful and cheaper, motor. The weaker motor requires a different gear ratio and it takes longer to operate the step. We now have a '99 TREK with the original step, and it operates faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandontext View Post
I replaced my steps a few months ago. The previous steps worked quickly. These steps are very slow. You have to wait about 2 seconds for the steps to come out completely. i asked Tiffin about this and they said I am out of luck. Any way to get them to retract quickly when the door is opened? JB
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I made that suggestion too.. And yes, That's why I came up with that law firm search method.

Sometimes a laugh is worth a whole lot of other stuff.