RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #1

Unhappy Small Appliance Burnouts

We are in a 2011 Phaeton, in the past 2 weeks we have burnt out 2 coffee pots that were plugged into the same outlet in the kitchen. Both pots were brand new, the first one was used while we were on shore power, the second one was used while we were on the inverter. Has anyone else had this problem?

SilverTurtle

SilverTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2012, 03:57 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Take a voltage meter and check the "vac" when on shore power,inverter power and then generator running. When checking each of them leave the meter in the outlet for a bit and watch the vac for spikes or dips and see if you can pin point the problem.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:13 AM   #3

Can you elaborate on how they were "burnt out"

Pins on plug burnt, electronics failure, element open circuit, burnt smell, scorch marks???
Old 10-09-2012, 06:52 AM   #4

There was a burn smell and the pots would not work afterwards.

We have checked the outlets and the amps of each outlet and the amps used when running each appliance. Everything seems normal.
SilverTurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 06:57 AM   #5

lots of electrical appliances will not work on inverters that are not Full-Sine wave invertors.

Stephen
stephen44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
paz

Some appliances, especially those with electronic controls such a coffee pot with timer and auto start, don't like MSW inverters. If you were not hooked up to shore power and that outlet is powered by the inverter, that could be the problem with the second one.

As for pot #1 going bad while hooked up to shore power, the inverter should be passing shore power through to the outlet, not providing inverted power from 12V. The first thing I would check is the voltage. Very high voltage could burn out the coffee pot, and very low voltage could cause the inverter to not be passing shore power through and to be providing inverted power instead, which could result in the same reason for failure as pot #2.

In order to avoid problems with high and low voltage, surges, missing ground or other pedestal wiring problems, I highly recommend a surge protector such as the Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C. The one in the link is a hard-wired unit, but portable surge protectors are also available.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:02 AM   #7

You really need to have in your tool bag a volt meter. They are cheap to buy at places like Harbor Freight. It is the only way anyone can help you is to have voltage readings from the plug.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 07:15 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Older drip coffee makers used to have a thermal fuse that would burn out. I replaced a few at about $1 each for people. That was a long time ago though. The new "smart" ones probably burn out the circuit board and are not so easily repairable.

You can get a VOM (volt ohm meter) at Harbor Freight for about $5 or Camping World has a volt meter that plugs into an outlet so you can get a constant reading. We have both and would not be without them.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #9

if your voltage goes high something else to check is for a loose connection posibaly on the outlet.
wonderer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 10:29 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Some of the appliances do not like the modified sine wave out put from some inverters. Check your plug and see if it is ppwered by the inverter and also what type inverter you have .

Ken
Old 10-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
silver turtle,
Yes, exact same thing happened to me. two brand new coffee makers with digital control failed within about 10min of use. I was connected to shore power using the kitchen AC outlet, but also use the EMS 50A surge guard that should protect against over/under voltage. I changed to a simple drip coffee pot--no problem since.
Since I was on shore power, I dont think the inverter was the issue (correct?).
Since I use the EMS surge guard that protects under/over voltage the shore AC must have been within spec (correct?) (sorry I didnt check it with my voltmeter).
Hope this does not confuse things, and hope my input adds some value even though I will not buy my new tiffin until next month.

jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
jim
jimmccreary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 05:59 AM   #12
paz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmccreary View Post
...Since I was on shore power, I dont think the inverter was the issue (correct?)...
jim & debbie, 04 Journey 34H
jim
The inverter should pass through shore power when hooked up. The only way the inverter would be an issue is if - A: the inverter does not have automatic shore power pass-through (I would be surprised if your Journey didn't) or B: somehow the inverter thinks there is no shore power and it is supplying 120V from the batteries.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would make sure the wall plug is providing a secure electrical connection first. The two failures share this one common denominator.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I would check for loose wires somewhere to start my diagnosis.

JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote