Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2019, 08:59 AM   #15

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
The problem is if you carry an extra set of of RV keys in your toad, what happens if your toad gets stolen?

This happened to our friends on a trip. Parked a new jeep Rubicon in a big mall. Had an extra set of RV keys in glove box. Came back toad was stolen.

Better to hide an extra set of keys some where on RV...
pameridan04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2019, 09:22 AM   #16

For the truck, we use a magnet box on the spare tire. For the fifth wheel, we use a magnet box in the pin box hitch. This has bailed us out a couple of times each year when one of us gets back to the RV off schedule from the other person.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #17
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
I would wrap up three keys; deadbolt, door lock and compartment locks in a plastic baggie and tie-wrap, tape it to one of the myriad of wire looms inside the rear cap. Keep the rest of the spares inside the coach. I don't know about your storage situation, but I never lock my compartments or door when in storage. I do have the door alarmed however. I would rather thieves take what they want instead of tearing up the doors getting in. Our friends had a brand new Allegro Open Road broken into. The thieves did $15,000 damage to the entry door and driver's door and all they stole were the TV remotes. Couldn't figure out how to get the TVs I guess.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:59 PM   #18

Hide your keys wherever but also wire them with a 12 inch piece of stainless steel wire then duct tape. I then twist that up on an angle iron.
SK1Retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:27 PM   #19

I just purchased a hitchsafe for the toad for this purpose.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:21 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Realtor combo lock box mounted out of sight in propane compartment. Easy peasy...

Best,
-Mark
MarkMaxPayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #21

In a stainless steel combination lock box behind a license plate (keytrol?)

Dad was ultra cheap. He screwed a key behind a license plate. A lot more obscure than looking for a Hide-A-Key, he thought.
SLOweather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:47 PM   #22

I put a spare key for my truck in one of those plastic magnetic key boxes, then tape it with packing tape for waterproofing and put it on top of my hitch on my truck. Works best if the hitch tubing is square. Only had to use it once but it paid for everything that one time. I can find it by feel without getting on the ground. Been there for years.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:23 PM   #23
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thanks for all the suggestions. Keep 'em comin'. Still thinking on this. For those that suggested an extra set of keys in the coach, I did think about a set inside the safe, but that wouldn't help me if I'm locked outside the coach, right?

I did originally think about a set in the toad, but the scenario of having the toad stolen (unlikely, but still possible) would still present the problem of me being locked out of the coach if/when I got back to it.

For those that suggested the propane bay or tank, I stated in my opening post our coach is all electric - no propane, so no propane bay or tank.

I'm going to take another look around the coach the next time we get to it in storage.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:09 PM   #24

On my wife!
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 03:19 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by pameridan04 View Post
The problem is if you carry an extra set of of RV keys in your toad, what happens if your toad gets stolen?

This happened to our friends on a trip. Parked a new jeep Rubicon in a big mall. Had an extra set of RV keys in glove box. Came back toad was stolen.

Better to hide an extra set of keys some where on RV...
Wow!
And I thought I was one of the few who plan for worst case scenarios.
I keep the RV keys in the toad and the toad keys in the RV.
If one of them gets stolen they have to figure out where and what the other vehicle is.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:24 PM   #26

Simple solution, 3 sets 1 on the person, 2 extra complete set in coach, 3 stashed in the engine compartment, deadbolt and door lock. once inside extra set in the coach.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:44 PM   #27

You said: "Plan B was to leave a window unlocked that I could crawl in through by pulling the toad next to it to use as a ladder to get up high enough to reach that window."

So put your extra set on the toad keyring.

If the toad is stolen, you still have the keys.

If the toad isn't stolen your plan B is to "pulling the toad next to it to use as a ladder" which again means you have the keys.

My toad wires have a short piece of wire loom as a strain relief. It's taped on both ends with black electrical tape. Inside that loom is also a spare set of keys taped to the wires. I'll guarantee you can't find a crook that will unwrap a toad wiring harness to look for keys to the front door. I have a friend that tapes his to the top of the 2" receiver. Again, 2 flat keys under black tape on a hitch receiver. Nobody is looking there either.
bucks2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 08:43 PM   #28
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I keep my extra entry door key in the glove compartment of my toad. It beats trying to get in through a window.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote