RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2019, 09:01 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
So, where do you put spare entry keys?

In our prior Bounder, I had a small, steel lockbox, sized just to fit a spare set deadbolt & entry keys, I could put in the propane bay because it didn't lock. This was my back up Plan A in case we lost our keys & were locked out. Plan B was to leave a window unlocked that I could crawl in through by pulling the toad next to it to use as a ladder to get up high enough to reach that window.

The Phaeton is all electric, so no propane bay. Every bay locks. Trying to figure out where to put this little lockbox. The engine hatch isn't locked, but I don't think I want this lockbox attached anywhere in there. Will probably still implement Plan B.

Ideas?

Lori-

NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2019, 09:55 PM   #2

Why not keep a set of keys in the toad?

Old 07-10-2019, 10:04 PM   #3

Just use one of those magnetic hide a key boxes and stick it in the engine bay in a location not readily visible.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:09 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll be watching this, I'd love to have a Phaeton
Rocky Mountain High, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 10:25 PM   #5

I drilled hole thru top of spare door key and installed it behind the license plate using on of the license plate screws

Did the same on truck.

Dime in my pocket and I can remove either screw and retrieve the key if needed
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:06 AM   #6

Anyplace where they are easily accessible to me or by instructions over the phone, yet out of sight.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:21 AM   #7

Ours is in a plastic hide-a-key with magnetic mount. I painted it the same color as the engine and all the metal in the engine bay, and then stuck it on one of the main supports back there. After a few hours of operation it got covered in the same schmutz as the rest of the engine bay and is not noticeable at all. Even if I told you where it was, you'd struggle to see it.

You should be able to get a can of engine spray paint or regular spray paint (depending on what you need) at any auto parts store.

If that doesn't work for you, what about using a hot glue gun to mount it under the coach somewhere out of the way. If you ever need it, you would be able to pop it free pretty easily but it should stay put otherwise if you pick the right spot. Test this somewhere on a piece of scrap metal to make sure you don't use too much hot glue. And make sure that it's not near anything that gets hot (muffler, coolant lines).
Old 07-11-2019, 05:24 AM   #8

Put the spare keys in one of the storage bays out of sight. Black duct tape a spare storage door key to the underside of the steps.
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2DR 4WD Sahara, Automatic, Hard Top
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:38 AM   #9

I have used a realtors lock box. Lock around your propane tank.
fairway2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:51 AM   #10

I got a magnetic key holder and put our spare keys under the bottom entry step. Been there for years and has bailed us out a few times!
myot-rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:11 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Our fifth wheel entry door (with entry lockset similar to our 34PA) once locked behind us going out (keys inside) without touching lock lever. Securing a spare RV entry key is on my to-do list today. Thx for reminder.

For the RV key set that we carry around - I ordered a round stainless steel dog tag engraved on both sides with our contact info. Amazon. Looks nice and hopefully never needed.
tarheel21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:13 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fairway2002 View Post
I have used a realtors lock box. Lock around your propane tank.
I also use a realtor lock. I keep it in the trunk of our toad.
My MH keys are separate from my car keys so little chance of loosing both sets of keys. DW always carries her set of MH keys every time we both vacate the MH.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:25 AM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have two full sets of RV keys in the glove box of our toad. When we're using the RV we always have the toad with us so have access in case we lose or otherwise forget the rv keys, lock them inside, etc. We also have an extra set of keys for the toad, inside the RV.

When we drop off/pick up the RV at our repair shop, they always leave the keys in the outside refrigerator access door. Assuming you have a propane fridge, any RVer knows that you can easily take that door off, but civilians wouldn't. I may get one of those magnetic key boxes and look for a place to put it in there for a permanent solution.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #14

i have a full set of keys in a magnetic key holder hidden under the dash of the rv. This is just a backup set in case I happen to lose my keys so I can still drive home. I also have a magnetic key holder hidden in a spot on the outside of the motorhome that doesn't lock. its just a door key in there not a full set. but its hidden out of sight, its not a basement storage door its the access door to the fridge so not a place someone would go looking for stuff and its kind of hidden in there so a quick look isn't going to see it.