Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2017, 05:24 PM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I.e , if you get a chance, can you post some pics? I have a 2016 36LA as well and have been considering solar to keep batteries topped off while RV is in storage. I am pre wired as well.
Brianb131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2017, 08:13 AM   #30

Tiffen 36la solar installation and parts details

Brian.

Sorry I did not take pictures and the coach is back in storage. In the meantime, here is a complete parts lists and links that you can take a look at. Couple of notes. The pre-wire location on the roof is a 12 inch dome roughly above the dinette. Just remove the clear dome, but not the base plate. The cable cover listed below can be screwed right on to the base plate. I installed one of the fuse/breakers on the positive line near the battery and the other on the positive line coming from the panel on the roof. I installed the controller in the cabinet above the driver. This is where the pre-wires down from the roof and up from the battery were provided by Tiffen. There was probalby 8 feet extra on each, which I cut off. Tiffen says this is where they install the controller and I mounted it to one of the panels at the back of the cabinet. You have to remove at least one of these two panels to access the wires.

The install took me a total of 8 hours over two days, but I'm pretty slow. More experienced people could probably do it in half the time.

Good luck and let me know if you have any more questions. I am happy to pay back the good advice I receive here from other members.

Final note: I sized the controller and fuse/breakers so that I can add another 180 watt panel later just by purchasing branch connectors and installing the second panel on the roof. That would give me a total of 360 watts. Yesterday, the single panel was pulling in about 7.5 amps and 40 amp hours on the day here in Phoenix, AZ.

Larry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Panel:
Grape Solar 180-Watt Monocrystalline PV Solar Panel f

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Grape-Sol...W-US/301024442

Controller: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

DC Fuse/breaker (need 2 of these)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Mounting Brackets: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Roof cable cover: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

MC4 Cable connector (butt splice this to the pre-wires coming out of the roof): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Battery Terminals: I have 4 6 volt bank and connected these to the outboard positive and negative posts ... this way I can just remove a wing nut if I have to service the install for some reason ... like when replacing the batteries)

(https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Dicor: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Wire stripper/Crimper: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2013 Honda CRV toad
l.e.warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 06:03 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Larry, I will take you up on your offer once I start.
Solar is my next project once it warms up here (Northern VA). I keep my 36LA in a storage lot, and want to keep the batteries topped off.

Do you feel the Grape panel is the way to go?
Old 03-07-2017, 06:30 PM   #32

I first heard about a 160 watt GrapeSolar panel on Amazon, which was highly rated. I called GrapeSolar and they said that has been replace by a newer 180 watt panel, which I could purchase through Home Depot. I purchased it for $219, but now it's gone up to $249. I still think this is one of the best values I have seen, comes from a reputable company and gets good reviews.

I'm happy and confident that they make good panels for a very good price. I called them a couple of times about wire gauges, warranty and connectors, and they were always very helpful. BTW, grew up in Hampton, VA.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:34 PM   #33

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have started my install following Larry's plan. So far, so good.
Today, I noticed Home Depot has the Grape SOlar 180W's on sale for $199. That is a good deal!
When I was buying the panels, they Grape's were $259, so I bought a Renogy 150 and a Renogy 100.

My goal of this project is to keep my batteries charged while I am in storage.

Here is my Controller and Display:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	controller.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	156600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Display.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	156601  

Old 04-01-2017, 08:55 PM   #34

Looks real nice Brian. I like the way you put the Duo display below the controller. I've only installed the one panel 180 and it's doing a great job of keeping my 4 6v batteries charged here in Arizona.
Old 04-10-2017, 10:53 AM   #35

Tiffin Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I finished the installation last weekend. I only used one Renogy 150w panel. It keeps my 4 6v batteries charged to 13.4 volts.
I wish Tiffin had pre wired to the chassis battery. The Morningstar Duo has another connection point for a second battery. Some day I will get in there and fish some wire.
Old 07-05-2017, 10:31 PM   #36

Thanks for the solar install info.

Tags
battery, solar