RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2019, 09:33 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Spare tire under bed

I will be traveling to Alaska in a few weeks and I have put a spare tire under the master bed. It appeared that due to the weight of the tire, the bedroom slide sagged a bit. I’m concerned that the weight of the tire may be too much for the slide to operate as intended. Has anyone else stored a tire under the bed? The 22.5 in tire will not fit in any basement compartment. Any thoughts? By the way I have a 31 SA Allegro Open Road.

tjweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2019, 10:27 PM   #2

Does that slide room have basement storage compartments? If it does not, it is constructed to only support the weight of the bed and blankets, sheets, etc underneath, but you have already discovered that.
Have you considered carrying it inside your towed?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy Read more at: John_F_Kennedy_1961
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 06:07 AM   #3

No way I would carry a spare tire under the bed in our 31SA......

Try to keep that Swintek slide as light as possible...... All we keep under the bed is linens and a few pairs of shoes, and a few other light weight items.

With the weight of a 22” tire, you are just asking for problems with the slide, Swintek mechanisms, and maybe even the bed frame due to how the bed overhangs the floor rollers when the slide is in (be conscious of that overhang if you get on the bed when the slide is in).
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 07:19 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Spare tire under bed

Thanks for the replies. I think I already knew the answer, just needed someone else to tell me again. I will be taking it out and will travel without a spare. I canít put it in the tow as I have to haul a table and chairs to my son the first few days of the trip. I never intended to carry one anyway. I could buy a tire rack that attaches to the hitch but Iím not going there.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:48 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
If you have to carry one, would an unmounted one weigh less? I would think a lot of the weight would be the rim.

I know of people who carry an unmounted tire just so not to be in a bind trying to find the right size when an issue happens.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 05:24 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
If you have to carry one, would an unmounted one weigh less? I would think a lot of the weight would be the rim.

I know of people who carry an unmounted tire just so not to be in a bind trying to find the right size when an issue happens.

Lori-
Good point! an unmounted spare may be carried much more easily, and that is the often hard to find item. Rims are seldom ruined-never heard of that happening.

I have basement storage on the bottom of my slide-room, the HWH slide has a maximum weight limit of 300#.for storage.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy Read more at: John_F_Kennedy_1961
Old 06-11-2019, 06:25 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
My spare is not on the rim. Thanks for the info about weight limit for that slide. The tire weighs 80lbs so now I'm thinking it might be ok to leave it there. Something to think about. I've read many posts who say they would not leave their house without a spare and just as many who have never carried one. So it's a crapshoot whether I will carry one to Alaska and back or take my chances!
Old 06-14-2019, 07:18 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
No way I would carry a spare tire under the bed in our 31SA......

Try to keep that Swintek slide as light as possible...... All we keep under the bed is linens and a few pairs of shoes, and a few other light weight items.

With the weight of a 22” tire, you are just asking for problems with the slide, Swintek mechanisms, and maybe even the bed frame due to how the bed overhangs the floor rollers when the slide is in (be conscious of that overhang if you get on the bed when the slide is in).
LOL, ummmm how much do you weigh? Guess you don't sleep in your bed if you think the slide can't handle 80 extra pounds.

The spare tire is 80 LBS, I am sure the slide will handle an extra 80 pounds.

I weight 150LBS so does that mean the slide would sag if I was 230LBS I dont think so.

What if my wife also weighed alot.

If your slide is sagging it's not because of an extra 80 LBS

If you are really concerned i would call Tiffin and get an "Engineered" answer
Old 06-14-2019, 07:37 PM   #9

Can you wrap the spare tire in a blanket and strap it on the roof? Hopefully you will not need it, but it sure beats wishing you had one.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:04 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Not sure I'd wrap it in a blanket. That'll just get wet & smelly. If you're gonna carry something on your roof, cover it in something waterproof.....like a tarp or at least get it shrink wrapped & UV protected.

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:42 PM   #11

For comparison purposes, my single18' slide in my present MH has 3 basement storage bays under the room. The maxium added weight recommended in the slide-out is 300#, that from Winnebago and HWH.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Not sure I'd wrap it in a blanket. That'll just get wet & smelly. If you're gonna carry something on your roof, cover it in something waterproof.....like a tarp or at least get it shrink wrapped & UV protected.

L-

It is just a tire for a one time trip, I don't see how wet or smell would matter. But hey, whatever works as long as there is a good plan B to fall back on.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 05:55 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Everything I have read about a RV trip to Alaska always mentions bring a spare tire with you. I would find a way to bring that spare tire along for the trip.
flywithcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2019, 09:21 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Love the replies! Thanks. I did call Tiffin and the slide department guy said he has extended the slide with people on the bed and didnít think it would be a problem at all to put the spare under the bed. So I am going to leave it there for this trip and wish for the best.