Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2009, 12:31 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Spartan vs Power Glide

I have an 2007 Allegro Bus 42 QRP. Can anyone tell me if the custom changes Tiffin has made really improve the ride & how much. I guess I'm looking for a reason to trade, or maybe I'm just wasting money???
wardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2009, 07:58 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I have the same coach - on a Spartan. Tiffin's Powerglide is a great chassis but the biggest difference is seen when comparing a 40' Powerglide to a 40' Spartan. The Powerglide has better weight distribution and puts more weight up front. With the 42' tag axle chassis there isn't that much of a difference between them. They both ride and handle well. The powerglide does have a few benefits, such as the Vansco multiplex wiring system and handy remote air tank drain valves but those are minor changes. Also, Spartan has a 24/7/365 phone line for support. That can be handy if you have a question that they can answer and walk you through the problem to get it solved immediately. Tiffin is only available during normal business hours. Although, if it's serious, Coach Net will always be there for roadside assistance or towing with any chassis.

I wouldn't trade just for the chassis - unless you're looking for an excuse that is. Quite frankly, if I had to trade right now it would be a tough decision and a very close call with no real loser in either direction.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Okay thanks, very informative and I believe you are correct with regards to front/rear weight. I met a 2009 owner that had too much weight up front on his new bus. It was not due to loading however. Tiffin lowered the rear tag but the front still had almost 1000 over the rating. As a result Tiffin switched-out the rims and tires up front (130 PSI) and re-placard the front gross. That aside he's very pleased with the chassis & said it's a big improvement over his 2007 Spartan. I don't mind the ride of my QRP but I don't love it. I have little issue with passing trucks, just dips & expansion joints. Guess I'd like a more "settled" ride.
wardy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:07 PM   #4

I have just ordered a new 40 Foot Phaeton. The 2010 models are offering the Power Glide Chassis for the first time on the Phaeton. This is an option that cost a couple of thousand dollars to select Power Glide over the Freightliner.

Since this is a new option, RV.org has not rated this chassis on the Phaeton. I checked their rating for the Allegro Bus and for some reason the Highway Control rating for Allegro Bus indicates that the manufacturer did not provide sufficient information to rate is.

My question is: Should I order the Phaeton with Freightliner or Power Glide Chassis?

If it were between Spartan and Power Glide, I would choose Spartan but I don't have a lot of insight into Power Glide..

Your comments would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan Bowman
36 Foot Winnebago Journey 2003
jdanbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 06:00 PM   #5

40 Foot Power Glide Chassis

Does the 40 Foot Power Glide Chassis have independent front suspension?

Thanks,
Dan Bowman
jdanbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 08:48 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

All Allegro Bus chassis, regardless of length, will have side radiators and IFS. This is on the Freightliner, Spartan, and Powerglide chassis.

All Phaeton chassis will have solid beam front axle and rear radiators. This includes the new Powerglide chassis designed for the Phaeton as well.
2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote