Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE OWNER'S CORNER FORUMS > Tiffin Owner's Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2019, 05:06 PM   #1

Steering and front end aids???

We have let our Beaver free, and are looking for another MH. Looking at Tiffin 34PA gasser and at 33AA dp. I have noticed on many of the used rigs, for sale, all sorts of front end mods. Summo springs, new shocks, sway bars, etc.; are they really in need of all these addons?? Is the steering and ride that in need of help? Just wondering why? I have driven DPs and afew gassers for 20 years and never had to add anything. Our 2014 Breeze drove just fine. Is there a problem or ??
Please help the Muffin Man make a decision.
studmuffin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2019, 11:32 PM   #2

I am not that familiar with the DP's other than they have air suspension which is a big plus in ride and handling on a rig of that size and weight. But I can tell you on two gas A-Class's and one B-Class Sprinter that I have installed upgrades to make them more stable on the road. I ordered the 19 Allegro 32SA with the Sumo Springs from the factory.They are accually a cushion that rides between the frame of the coach and the chassis.They help stabilizer in wind conditions and they help with some of the turbulence you feel when a semi passes you.They also cushion the ride on rough roads as well on the interstate. On my Forest River without them i thought the road vibrations were going to shake the coach apart. A steering stabilizer in my opinion is a must. I can drive one handed for a long period of time and it cuts out most of the wondering from uneven asphalt and concrete. It stiffens the steering enough i don't have to fight the wheel as much in cross winds.From a safety point on a coach that long and heavy if you have a front blow out you might not be able to control it without a stabilizer. I recently added another rear component called a rear track bar that connects to the rear axle and to the frame. It helps with the tail wobble you sometimes get in changing lanes.It also helps in cross winds and keeps it tracking straight. My 32SA has the 22.5 wheels and tires on a 24000lbs chassis. My Forest River was on a 22000lbs chassis with 19" wheels and tires.The 24000lbs chassis and 22.5 tires is superior even without any upgrades. On the FR I even upgrade the front and rear sway bars. After the add it drove perfect.It was a 30' coach. My Tiffin dealer advised me not to upgrade the sway bars as they felt the ride and handling would be to stiff. I and very pleased with the steering Stabilizer,rear track bar and the factory Sumo's.
Hope this helps.
HortMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 08:47 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Lots of "upgrades" from rookies is what I think is going on. I think gas chassis folks want a diesel pusher ride and others just don't understand how a high profile vehicle rides on the road. All three of the motorhomes I have owned all handled well with little need for additional suspension fixes.
luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 05:37 PM   #4

Over 29 years experience here personally. More with rving with my parents while growing up. To each his own. The upgrades enhance the ride and enjoyment of driving a Big Box down the road. Personally I enjoy the smoother ride and the improved drivabilty and stability they provide. It's nice to stop after a five or six hour drive and not be exhausted. A word to the wise,in the event of a front tire blow out without a sterring stabilizer you will not be able to control your rig.I speak from experience.Blow out at 55mph on I-10. The only thing that kept me flipping was the guard rail.The rig was totaled. Had I had the stabilizer I probably could have steered it to the shoulder.
Best thing to do is to watch several You Tube Videos on what ever upgrade you are looking to purchase and make you own decision.
HortMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:42 PM   #5

Alpine Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
i have a 33aa and i am not bothered by semi's, the only time i had a problem was with a very strong side wind and was below 1/2 a tank of fuel, had to drop speed down to 55, after i refueled it was a lot better, no additional steering stabilizer
sumptercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:38 AM   #6

We purchased our 34QFA used and it had a steering stabilizer already installed, so I don't have a before and after. However, it was hard to handle on the road, and an alignment made all the difference in the world. It's now a dream to drive. I was surprised at the difference the alignment made.

Karen & Allen Van Zandt
txcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 03:56 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortMi View Post
Over 29 years experience here personally. More with rving with my parents while growing up. To each his own. The upgrades enhance the ride and enjoyment of driving a Big Box down the road. Personally I enjoy the smoother ride and the improved drivabilty and stability they provide. It's nice to stop after a five or six hour drive and not be exhausted. A word to the wise,in the event of a front tire blow out without a sterring stabilizer you will not be able to control your rig.I speak from experience.Blow out at 55mph on I-10. The only thing that kept me flipping was the guard rail.The rig was totaled. Had I had the stabilizer I probably could have steered it to the shoulder.
Best thing to do is to watch several You Tube Videos on what ever upgrade you are looking to purchase and make you own decision.
In case of a blow out you should accelerate
And again control of the rig before you gradually slow down and pull off the road.
The force from the blow out pulls you to that side and the sudden deceleration only increases the side force.
Acceleration will reduce the side force and and increase the forward force which helps you regain control of you rig.
Take your own advice and watch YouTube
Safety videos on how go handle a blow out.

Be safe out there, it's a big beautiful world which we can only enjoy from to top view.

Roll-On
GE
Old 02-22-2019, 09:49 AM   #8

I have had experience with a front tire explosion. 43 foot tag axle Camalot. lost the r front tire at 63 mph, on I75. Hit the gas, till I got a slight handle on it. The wheel shake was crazy. Got stopped, the tire tread flew off in the last one hundred feet. Had to get them to grind off the remains rapped around the axle, brake, and lines. Had to replace the rim, got flat spotted in the last little bit of sliding. If I had not got control, Going off the road would have flipped the coach. No guard rail and a steep incline. I ended up with a torn rotator cuff, after surgery, still week. I will probably put a steering stab. on every coach I ever have. Thanks for reading, the one armed Muffin Man.
studmuffin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 01:20 PM   #9

alignment!

32sa here...
i was satisfied, but not happy with my small gasser with sumos and a steering stabilizer...
this week i got the front aligned. i don't understand all the numbers and phrases... i just know it was great improvement! now it goes straight!
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 08:59 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
Let me just pop in here. We have a 40’ 14 allegro bus and one of the huge advantages of this coach is the ride!! No steering aides ever needed! Some times it’s hard to remember your have 40’ behind you. Just something to remember when considering all the options. Safe travels. Jeff
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 09:28 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I agree about a quality steering stabilizer being installed. I have the Safe-T-Plus on my rig and it was truly a night and day difference. Other than that I truly appreciate the mind set of the huge assistance in the case of a blow out.

However, the biggest reason I went for it is the current complete crap state of the U.S. roads. I DO remember when they were so much smoother and actually universally maintained. I had hit enough cracks and holes in highways and freeways to almost yank the wheel out of my hand. The stabilizer really helps with that.

Last, if I had a gas rig I would also want the chassis as firm and reboundable as possible. Again, with our roads very much in mind.
HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:37 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jkorn
I have a simple question. With the independent front suspension our coach has, the steering wheel has never been almost yanked out of my hands, I land I too have been on some terrible roads, Memphis seems to be the worst. Is the issue being discussed on what chassis? Those with solid front axels? Doesn’t seem to be an issue on ours.
jkorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 07:29 PM   #13

33aa

We have a 33aa and at first I was not all that happy with the steering and handling. Chalked it up to shorter wheelbase. The two things happened that helped. First, I had it weighed front & back. Second, during a trip to the shop for a chassis recall, I asked the guy to check tire pressures, please. He, smartly, asked for the weigh sheet.

Turns out we were a good 15lbs over inflated! From the factory. We travel pretty light and the coach was a little light when I had it weighted, so we factored in some overhead and safety and dropped the inflation by 10lbs all around.

Amazing! Steering and handling problems gone. Does an 18 wheeler move it a touch coming up quick on the left? Sure, but just a touch and you should be watching anyway. Did a 700 mile day recently and worked out just fine.

Tags
steering